Brenneke® Black Magic

mtwhitetail

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Brenneke® Black Magic 12ga slugs available anywhere recently? I am getting ready for a trip to Alaska and these are my go-to choice for brown bear defense rounds, however, everyone seems to be out of stock and Brenneke hasn't returned my emails regarding if they are still even making them.

Has anyone seen the Brenneke® Black Magic 12ga slugs available anywhere recently? I am getting ready for a trip to Alaska and these are my go-to choice for brown bear defense rounds, however, everyone seems to be out of stock and Brenneke hasn't returned my emails regarding if they are still even making them.
Do you have an importer of Rottweil shotgun shells in Alaska ? In Bangladesh , Rottweil shotgun shells are among the brands which our arms and ammunition importers bring into the country . Brenekke Black Magic 3 inch slugs ( as loaded by Rottweil ) are quite commonly found , around here .

My local farm store is out of stock. They are normally the only place around that has them. I have enough for this year (9 rounds) but Would like more.
Does anyone have any experience with Rottweil laser slugs? The farm store has a large stock of those. Do they penetrate like a brenneke?

My local farm store is out of stock. They are normally the only place around that has them. I have enough for this year (9 rounds) but Would like more.
Does anyone have any experience with Rottweil laser slugs? The farm store has a large stock of those. Do they penetrate like a brenneke?
@Wyatt Smith
They work quite well on Asian sloth bears . But they should only be fired from rifled shotgun barrels .

@Wyatt Smith
They work quite well on Asian sloth bears . But they should only be fired from rifled shotgun barrels .
Thanks Professor, my deer gun has a rifled barrel. ( Browning BPS with a Hastings rifled barrel) I shall try them, they should do fine on whitetail deer at close range.

Good evening. When you make it to Anchorage, go to Northern Security on Old Seward. They have them.
I used them as a Cop in Haines to dispatch a brown bear just over 9 feet. I’ve told the story on here before and won’t bore you. Just know that they work as advertised.
I’ve used them on smaller bears as well.
The brown bear in Haines is public record and was reported through Fish and Game.

There are lots of shops that might have those slugs in Anchorage or Wasilla. However inventory may be cleaned out with all the panic buying going on. Right before hunting season is also a bad time to shop. Bottom line. I'd bring something for the shotgun even if its not perfect. Once you're in Alaska you can check out the local stores and see if you get something better.

According to the firearms expert in our Bear Guard course the key thing with a slug is finding one tough enough to plow through a bear (most are designed for whitetails). He said the Black Magic's had a good slug but the extra power wasn't totally necessary.

I have used quite Rottweil products have found them to be high quality.

Rottweil also load Brenneke slugs into their shot shells. If you are satisfied the projectile is OK I think it would be worth investigating if your gun likes them.

Scrummy

Good evening. When you make it to Anchorage, go to Northern Security on Old Seward. They have them.
I used them as a Cop in Haines to dispatch a brown bear just over 9 feet. I’ve told the story on here before and won’t bore you. Just know that they work as advertised.
I’ve used them on smaller bears as well.
The brown bear in Haines is public record and was reported through Fish and Game.
There are lots of shops that might have those slugs in Anchorage or Wasilla. However inventory may be cleaned out with all the panic buying going on. Right before hunting season is also a bad time to shop. Bottom line. I'd bring something for the shotgun even if its not perfect. Once you're in Alaska you can check out the local stores and see if you get something better.

According to the firearms expert in our Bear Guard course the key thing with a slug is finding one tough enough to plow through a bear (most are designed for whitetails). He said the Black Magic's had a good slug but the extra power wasn't totally necessary.
You must have used LTR for your bear course. The charging bear target is cool as hell. They are a good bunch, I know them all personally.
I’ve killed lots of bears. Some with Department issued “tactical” slugs to dispatch injured or trouble bears.
The brownie was about 30 feet from me, in the dark, and for a brief moment, I was wishing I had my .458.
Big bear, lots of very tough muscle to get through.
lesser slugs may work, and I’m not saying that the “black magic” is the cure all, but I know from first hand experience that they work.

You must have used LTR for your bear course. The charging bear target is cool as hell. They are a good bunch, I know them all personally.
I’ve killed lots of bears. Some with Department issued “tactical” slugs to dispatch injured or trouble bears.
The brownie was about 30 feet from me, in the dark, and for a brief moment, I was wishing I had my .458.
Big bear, lots of very tough muscle to get through.
lesser slugs may work, and I’m not saying that the “black magic” is the cure all, but I know from first hand experience that they work.

John,

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the target would you? Or an image file?

Scrummy

John,

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the target would you? Or an image file?

Scrummy
I bought a 5 pack of the targets. Would be happy to give you one.
In training they actually have the target on a moving platform that “charges” you. Lots of fun. Most students can only get off one shot, sometimes two with the 870.
I can give you the contact information if you like. They are located in Anchorage

I bought a 5 pack of the targets. Would be happy to give you one.
In training they actually have the target on a moving platform that “charges” you. Lots of fun. Most students can only get off one shot, sometimes two with the 870.
I can give you the contact information if you like. They are located in Anchorage

John that is really kind.

Unfortunately I'm in the UK so getting a target to me might be rather tricky and expensive.

I was actually discussing shooting slugs at various animal targets with a friend of mine and we thought initially things like wild boar with turing targets but the bear qualification target might be an interesting one for our rifle club - We already shoot various versions of hunting test / qualifications as competitions so maybe this would be a fun thing, perhaps on turning targets.

We don't yet have access to a range that you can shoot slugs at an advancing target but there is a range with an advancing target where you can use pistol calibre carbines (so mainly lever actions in 357 / 38, .44 and .45) where you can so might be fun "practice" even if not with a full power firearm.

The contact infor would however be much appreciated!

Scrummy

I know the 3" Black Magic's have an exceptional record in Alaska. I was wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience with the 3" Brenneke Magnum Crush round from the same company?

While the Brenneke 3" Black Magic fires a 600 grain hargened slug at 1500 feet per second the Brenneke 3" Magnum Crush is the most powerful 12 gauge round from Brenneke from what I understand firing a 666 grain hardened slug at 1600 feet per second. The Brenneke 3" Magnum Crush delivers 3.800 ft/lbs at the muzzle compared to the 3,000 ft/lbs of the Brenneke 3" Black Magic. I wish someone would do a side by side comparison to see if the increased velocity and energy of the Magnum Crush allows the slug to hold together as well as the Black Magic does or perform better that way we might find out how the Magnum Crush might perform against the tough musles and big bones of Alaskan Brown Bears!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois