Brazil Peacock Bass - Wheels up

deewayne2003

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Seated in DFW on the plane to Miami, then São Paulo, then Manaus and finally a twin engine flight 300mi into the Amazon to meet the boat on the Rio Negro river in Brazil.

I call this pic “The joys of boarding”

1643308263227.jpeg

We will be throwing wood choppers for peacock bass.
1643308174876.jpeg

This trip has been hell to book as getting 7 adult men organized and on the same page for a trip is like herding cats…. Cats with Down syndrome.

3 hr layover in Miami, 8.5 hour flight to São Paulo, 3hr layover in São Paulo then. 3hr flight to Manaus.

A special thanks to American Airlines for changing our flights 5 times in 9 months and more than doubling our flight & layover times in the process; seriously, how a company can treat its customers & employees(pilots striking in DFW) this poorly, while at the same time pocketing $4Bil of bailout they do not have to repay is completely lost on me!

When I was station at Homestead AFB, I caught a lot of peacock bass in the canals around Miami & Homestead. Not as big as their cousins from the Amazon, but they always put up a great fight all the way to the boat. :)

Best of luck and we look forward to the trip report when you get back!

I fished one subspecies of those in lake Gatun in Panama but we never caught any over #3. Have fun and hold onto your rod!

Thank you all for the well wishes - 264, it’s not a buff hunt but I’m still happy to be on my first holiday in 3 years.

As for American Airlines…..This is dinner when they run out of Turkey sandwiches in 1st class; and I’m given the vegetarian option “wheat & berry salad “

I took one spoon of the salad and walked up to the galley and threw it in the trash and asked for literally anything else.

“All we have is mixed nuts sir”

to which I replied- “Then I’ll have mixed nuts as an appetizer and bourbon and water as my entree….

1643321754216.jpeg

I didn’t have the heart to tell her that Jack Daniel’s is NOT bourbon and decided I was happy to drink my dinner.

Then the flight attendant informs me that I have to put my mask back on between sips of my drink…… she did this 3 separate times within seconds of putting my drink back down on the tray.

Any fly fishing while down there? Hope you have a great trip. Nice intro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.