Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
I am surprised that you got through ANY scanners with live ammo in your checked suitcase????
Which country did you hunt?

In the states I always put the ammo in the case with the rifle. Always. It is not an issue. Very different than travelling elsewhere.

On the way to SA from the states I put my locked ammo case inside of my locked checked luggage. The only time I have it separate is on the way back, or within African countries.

Custom

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
Same with me both times I flew to RSA. It has to fly separate from the weapons and, if you fly within RSA, it has to be in its own separate locked case. Flying domestically, I'm not sure it has to be in a separate case inside your checked bag, but I always put it in one. It has to be separate from your guns, though.

Custom

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
Just read Royal's reply above. I thought it had to be separate from the guns, probably most of my air travel with guns has been to Africa. So, domestically, it must be either.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Yeah, it is either for any airline I've flown, including Delta domestically. So I always just pack with rifle. That way I will lose everything or nothing.

Heck, most times they don't even look at the rifle for domestic. They ask me of it is unloaded, I say yes, and the tag goes in the case. That's another nice thing about the tuffpak. You just open the end and your done, as opposed to opening the case on the floor etc like you have to do with a traditional gun case.

norfolk shooter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
I've been wondering how would this work with a tuffpak thats not got a TSA lock? How would the TSA open it and then keep it secure??

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
I've been wondering how would this work with a tuffpak thats not got a TSA lock? How would the TSA open it and then keep it secure??

Legally TSA should never open a case with firearms. Only the owner holds key and opens. So in theory it should never be an issue.

norfolk shooter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Legally TSA should never open a case with firearms. Only the owner holds key and opens. So in theory it should never be an issue.

And seeing as Im UK based the TSA have nothing to do with me. Its just in case I ever go to the USA on a hunting trip

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
And seeing as Im UK based the TSA have nothing to do with me. Its just in case I ever go to the USA on a hunting trip

Super easy to travel with firearms. I've had more issueS with carry on bags. :)

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted

Super easy to travel with firearms. I've had more issueS with carry on bags. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieEast

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?