Brand New Kudu Contour PLUS (4 blade) Broadhead Test video

Any thoughts on this new Kudu?
Hi John, yup here’s my thoughts. Your review is very timely! :) I just ordered a 3 pack of these last week - 125 gr. A friend of mine and I were discussing these at work a couple weeks ago. Very intriguing design, I can’t wait to test them out.
I’m shooting a Realm SR-6 at 62 pounds with 29” RIP TKO’s and the +50 gr insert. This should give a total arrow weight of 449 grains and I believe about 21% FOC. Going to see how they fly out to 60 yards.
This may end up being my set up for deer and elk this year.
Thoughts?

I'm impressed. A well made single bevel version of the Simmons Shark with the advantages of multi-blade to leave a larger X shaped entrance and exit wound. With all the hype of single bladed heads that is a serious down side to me and others. And then they did the bleeders single beveled too, very interesting. While I love Slik Trik magnums I may be picking up some of these.

Hi John, yup here’s my thoughts. Your review is very timely! :) I just ordered a 3 pack of these last week - 125 gr. A friend of mine and I were discussing these at work a couple weeks ago. Very intriguing design, I can’t wait to test them out.
I’m shooting a Realm SR-6 at 62 pounds with 29” RIP TKO’s and the +50 gr insert. This should give a total arrow weight of 449 grains and I believe about 21% FOC. Going to see how they fly out to 60 yards.
This may end up being my set up for deer and elk this year.
Thoughts?

Sounds like a great set up. The only downside of these heads is the potential for blade roll over on a hard joint shot. I wouldn’t worry about that with a strong chisel tip head. But the blades are fairly stout. This head is going to kill a lot of animals.

After shooting these heads for the past few days I have come up with some major likes and dislikes.
The good/great: They fly very nicely, same as my field points out to 50 yards. That’s as far as I have shot.
They are very quiet in flight and I really like that! No whistle means less string jump which to me is worth alot.
As well as my shooting abilities let me, they seem to fly exactly the same with and without the bleeders. I couldn’t tell any difference in flight or point of impact even though the head is 8 grains lighter without the bleeders. At least out to 50. And maybe a better shooter than me could see a minute difference if they tried. I dunno.
I also like the versatility of a little more tissue damage with the bleeders and a little more penetration without them. This is a pretty cool feature. I agree with what John said in his review video. Very innovative design and a great idea.
Now the stuff I don’t like. And when I say don’t like, I kinda mean hate.
The package I got were not sharp at all. Yes, the tips at the largest cut diameter were pointy and sharp-ish, but for sure not sharp like a razor. The edge grind is very coarse and there was a slight burr rolled over from the sharpening/grinding. They are most definitely not sharp like a razor, more like a saw. Not impressed.
They absolutely suck to try to sharpen! I’m still trying to figure out something workable. I want to shoot these heads this year, but they need a much better edge than what they come out of the package with.
They also suck a lot to remove from a Rinehart foam broadhead target! Getting them out is a major PITA with the bleeders installed and almost as bad without them. You literally tear the crap out of your target trying to pull arrows. Fortunately you shouldn’t have to shoot many unless you bow is not tuned properly and you have to adjust sights for broadheads.
If I can figure out how to get a good, sharp edge on these I will probably use them for deer and elk this year. If not... going to go with something else I think.
Edit: The bleeders are not sharp at all! Kudu really needs to fix their sharpening issue and I think this will be a great head.

After shooting these heads for the past few days I have come up with some major likes and dislikes.
The good/great: They fly very nicely, same as my field points out to 50 yards. That’s as far as I have shot.
They are very quiet in flight and I really like that! No whistle means less string jump which to me is worth alot.
As well as my shooting abilities let me, they seem to fly exactly the same with and without the bleeders. I couldn’t tell any difference in flight or point of impact even though the head is 8 grains lighter without the bleeders. At least out to 50. And maybe a better shooter than me could see a minute difference if they tried. I dunno.
I also like the versatility of a little more tissue damage with the bleeders and a little more penetration without them. This is a pretty cool feature. I agree with what John said in his review video. Very innovative design and a great idea.
Now the stuff I don’t like. And when I say don’t like, I kinda mean hate.
The package I got were not sharp at all. Yes, the tips at the largest cut diameter were pointy and sharp-ish, but for sure not sharp like a razor. The edge grind is very coarse and there was a slight burr rolled over from the sharpening/grinding. They are most definitely not sharp like a razor, more like a saw. Not impressed.
They absolutely suck to try to sharpen! I’m still trying to figure out something workable. I want to shoot these heads this year, but they need a much better edge than what they come out of the package with.
They also suck a lot to remove from a Rinehart foam broadhead target! Getting them out is a major PITA with the bleeders installed and almost as bad without them. You literally tear the crap out of your target trying to pull arrows. Fortunately you shouldn’t have to shoot many unless you bow is not tuned properly and you have to adjust sights for broadheads.
If I can figure out how to get a good, sharp edge on these I will probably use them for deer and elk this year. If not... going to go with something else I think.
Edit: The bleeders are not sharp at all! Kudu really needs to fix their sharpening issue and I think this will be a great head.
I just got a set of 3 in the mail Friday. Got to agree they aren't as sharp as they need to be. And the downside of this blade shape is sharpening. I'm going to work on mine with an AG Russel diamond and ceramic rod and see how things work out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!