BP substitutes and air travel?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders & Black Powder' started by Mr. 16 gauge, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Forgive me if this topic has been covered already.

I enjoy hunting with traditional BP firearms (caplocks, flintlocks), and thought it might be fun to take one to Africa some day.
    I know that you can't fly with black powder, even if it's loaded in a cartridge case. What about the various BP substitutes? Are those legal to fly with (any of them)?
    For those that have hunted with BP muzzleloaders in SA, how did you find it? Was you PH able to get BP without much difficulty? Did they have you "brand", or was is something else that didn't work so well? (Same question goes for caps as well, for those who use a caplock).
    I don't see too much re: traditional BP arms and hunting Africa.....maybe it's too much of a hassle?

2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
  3. Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Thanks, Brickburn.....that pretty much answers all my questions.

4. Imbambala

Imbambala AH Member

Member of:
    CHASA, Eastern Cape Game Management Association
    basil-mills-with-his-phython-called-monty-grahamstown-south-africa-1997.jpg I can put you in contact with Basil Mills who is a black powder, snake and battle reenactment fundi. I am sure he can get black powder for you if your heading near the Eastern Cape. As you can see from the picture he probably could get you a python as well.