Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Turkey Bowhunting Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to bowhunting shot placement.

Bowhunting Turkey
turkey-vitals-bowhunting.jpg

Anyone has the right to share, copy, distribute and transmit this image/work (but not to adapt it, or use it for commercial use).

Bowhunting Turkey
turkey-bowhunting-vitals.jpg

Anyone has the right to share, copy, distribute and transmit this image/work (but not to adapt it, or use it for commercial use).

Last edited by a moderator:
B4FD26F0-0628-4BCA-812A-57387A02612D.jpeg

Good day my fellow hunters. Not sure how accurate this pic is I found via google but I’m just curious as it looks pretty true to me but I’ve only recently gotten serious about chasing gobblers and plan to with my recurve(#45@28”, roughly 700 grain arrow with a good sharp two blade broadhead). If this isn’t where to post this then I do apologize.

Thanks in advance,

~Danny

I have way more fun hunting turkeys than deer. Way more interaction. It can be tough and it can be easy lol. Been strictly bowhunting them since 2011. All turkeys are different which is what makes it fun. You may get one that comes right in, the next stats just outside bow range no matter what you throw at it.

I have way more fun hunting turkeys than deer. Way more interaction. It can be tough and it can be easy lol. Been strictly bowhunting them since 2011. All turkeys are different which is what makes it fun. You may get one that comes right in, the next stats just outside bow range no matter what you throw at it.
I couldn’t agree more. I like the challenge and the excitement

I couldn’t agree more. I like the challenge and the excitement

Looks fine to me, @DoubleLunger . Your arrow is certainly plenty heavy (too heavy?) for turkey. Make sure you have a nice big cutting surface to give you a broader margin of error. It sounds like your current recurve setup is rigged for big game. It should work fine for deer, but a lighter arrow may give you more precision (less drop, less movement to range the bird, thus more success).

DoubleLunger,
Not knowing all the particulars, ie draw length, type of recurve, etc.

Here's my hunting setup using a recurve.

Ben Pearson or Hoyt take down:
45# draw weight at 28"
Draw length 30"
Carbon Express or Gold Tip arrows
3 each 2 1/2 inch veins or 4 inch feather
.003 - .001 straightness
Montech G5 100 grain fixed 3 blade broad head
Total arrow weight ~438 or ~ 450 grains
I forget what my FOC and arrow speed is.

Your shot placement targets look to be accurate.

If you get a chance find a local archery club that shoots ASA 3D tournaments shooting a 3D turkey target is great practice for hunting season.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Ha ha! I was never successful taking turkeys with my recurve. But it was great fun trying. Had them jump or duck the arrow numerous times. Once one just wouldn’t cross a three strand barbed wire fence, so I thought at 30 yards I could hit him. Nope hit the bottom barbed wire! Arrow went straight up. Such goes with turkey hunting.
Best of luck!

D642F9C0-BF11-46E9-9477-0A1A0E23C940.jpeg

Took a shot at a hen last fall during archery season with my crossbow. Didn’t see the limb and couldn’t believe nothing happened to the hen at the shot. Ruined the bolt too.
They were on the other side of the tree from me, luckily I was able to reload and take her.

Gobbler Guilliotine broadhead at 13 yards. This is a frame grab from my hunting buddy's video. You can see the arrow (Black line and red "FOB" fletching just beyond the bird.
Head Off 1 edit.jpg

DoubleLunger,
Not knowing all the particulars, ie draw length, type of recurve, etc.

Here's my hunting setup using a recurve.

Ben Pearson or Hoyt take down:
45# draw weight at 28"
Draw length 30"
Carbon Express or Gold Tip arrows
3 each 2 1/2 inch veins or 4 inch feather
.003 - .001 straightness
Montech G5 100 grain fixed 3 blade broad head
Total arrow weight ~438 or ~ 450 grains
I forget what my FOC and arrow speed is.

Your shot placement targets look to be accurate.

If you get a chance find a local archery club that shoots ASA 3D tournaments shooting a 3D turkey target is great practice for hunting season.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Thanks much! I’ve thought about going lighter but if it works for deer etc then I just figured why not instead of getting more gear. I appreciate the info

Ha ha! I was never successful taking turkeys with my recurve. But it was great fun trying. Had them jump or duck the arrow numerous times. Once one just wouldn’t cross a three strand barbed wire fence, so I thought at 30 yards I could hit him. Nope hit the bottom barbed wire! Arrow went straight up. Such goes with turkey hunting.
Best of luck!
I can relate to the same kind of luck even though I have yet to come to full draw on a turkey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross