Bowhunting SA first timer!

kedman

Reaction score
I am planning a hunt to SA for wildebeest, impala, and warthog. I plan to take my bow along and hunt a couple days with it. I shoot a PSE with a 70lb draw and a 400+ grain arrow. I feel this will be plenty enough to take any of these species.

I only have 5 hunting days and dont know if it is worth the extra time to try a spot and stalk hunt. I know they do hides on watering holes and think this would be my best bet.

What do you guys think?

Do you plan to hunt with both rifle and bow?
If so, then you should carry one of them yourself and have your ph carry the other one when you are out stalking.
Then you can choose your bow if you have the chance to stalk close enough for a shot with that.

Actually, I did plan to use bow only, but I will rent a rifle if its necessery to get a chance on a bushbuck. I will start out hunting from blinds and maybe walk and stalk the last couple of days.

My first 7 days will be spot and stalk with bow only.
My last 5 days will be spot and stalk with bow as the primary weapon, but will bring a gun on the stalks just in case.
I doubt I will use the gun, but we will see:)
I might spend half a day or a day in a blind too, it all depends how much crawling I have done and how bad my knees hurt after that:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.