Bowhunters left alone in their blinds

You cant tell BILLC anything, he knows all and has seen all.You would think he is a PH. He used to talk like he owned part of PawPrint Safaris. With all of his 'we' comments

Being one of those folks who does not care if I am left alone in the blind. This was one of my days. Blissfully alone and in the quiet.

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/botswana-bowhunt-diary-of-a-day-in-the-blind-kanana.12443/

I have to add a few points for clarification:
I was with a large group and needed a quiet day alone.
This was not my first go round.
I did have a PH qualification.
I was in constant mobile range of multiple PH's/staff.
Multiple vehicles within easy contact distance.
Cooler box full of food and drinks.
My own personal first aid kit.
A camera with plenty of memory begging to be used. :)
etc.

You cant tell BILLC anything, he knows all and has seen all.You would think he is a PH. He used to talk like he owned part of PawPrint Safaris. With all of his 'we' comments
Bill C is a great guy!

Better yet what PH liking stalking instead setting at water holes

As I continue to dream/ plan a bow hunt to Africa I have ran into a question that I hope everyone can help me with.. My question is what is the protocol for bow hunters and their PH's in relation to hunting out of a blind?? I have read a lot of hunting reports from various sites where the hunters are left alone in their blinds with a walkie talkie and they call their PH when they have shot/ shot at something so they can start tracking. Is that the norm?? Some of these reports are from seemingly reputable outfits but it seems like a situation that can lead to a lot of bad shots/ lost animals. Some of the reports I have read seem to allude to this. Some make it sound like they have hunted with the PH before and were cleared to do this but others are first timers to Africa and seem to not frankly know fully what they are doing which I can surely relate too!! I thought your PH was supposed to be with you all the time?? No one has ever said their PH refused to sit with them but I was just wondering what to expect?? Also if you are paying a full daily fee shouldn't you have the services of your PH available? Thanks to everyone in advance for any helpful info- I appreciate the help and thanks again to Jerome and Brickburn for such an awesome site.
My husband and I have hunted both South Africa and Namibia a number of times and most safari companies prefer to have a PH with the hunter during the hunt to facilitate not only knowing what truly is a trophy animal prior to the shot but to help with shot placement and recovery after the shot is made. We have also been able to do as above by hunting in the blinds with a radio but only after spending a previous hunt with the outfitter and them feeling comfortable that we were not only able to make the shots, that we knew what was the right animal to shoot (male versus female, trophy versus non-trophy) and that we were going to be honest with them. Basically a lot of it comes down to having a good relationship with the outfitter that you are going with. We spend a great deal of time researching our outfitters, talking with them via e-mail, phone and if possible in person at shows etc. You can really get a good feeling about not only the outfitter but the PH that you are going to be hunting with when you meet face to face and they can gauge your experience and preferences much better that way also.

We also use recommendations from people on this site and from references that the outfitters we are considering prior to making a decision. I hope this helps and if I can clarify anything please let me know.

Kudugirl (Sue)

Yes and I can say that having someone sick in close proximity to myself in a blind is not my idea of a great idea! Glad you did not get sick!

On my second safari, to the Okavango in Botswana for lion, buffalo and sitatunga,, I did in fact spend quite a few hours without the company of my PH. He has now passed away and some will know of whom I speak but I wont say his name here, no point, whats done is done. I was in a makoro with just native polers for several days hunting sitatunga amongst the crocs and hippos, which were seen frequently. I also spent time on a sit over a dead warthog waiting for a lion to come with me and one tracker. The male never came, but females were lurking within sight. :eek: Tracker was armed with the PH's double .458 Win. PH was back at the car reading if I recall. Said he would pick us up in a few hours or if hostilities commenced! Never really occurred to me at the time to question this, seemed natural enough to me, a young fit guy in my mid 30's. More balls than brains!o_O:D At any rate nothing bad happened, got the buffalo, got the sitatunga, flubbed the lion, my fault and PH was there. The story of that whole trip is here somewhere that I posted some time ago. I have only fond memories of that trip, other than flubbing the lion, very embarrassing indeed!:whistle::whistle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg