Bow Set for first trip to South Africa

My son and I went last August, my setup was 30 inch draw, 65 lbs, 443 grain arrow and it blew through everything thing I shot. Complete pass through on sable, gemsbok, warthog and springbok. Used beman ics hunter 340, with slick trick standards, wac ems, and a sevr expandabl on the springbok. Speed was 276 fps. I think it’s easy to get caught up thinking you need to shoot real heavy arrows, I think it’s more important to make sure your setup is tuned and flying true.

I think it’s easy to get caught up thinking you need to shoot real heavy arrows, I think it’s more important to make sure your setup is tuned and flying true.

Heavier arrows can only help.. They are especially helpful for bow hunters who are not capable of drawing heavier draw weights in excess of 60lbs. It is far more effective for a bowhunter with a 25" draw length only capable of drawing 50lbs to shoot a heavier arrow (over 550grn) with a significant F.O.C. as opposed to a bowhunter like yourself shooting a 443grn arrow @ 30" of draw and 65lbs of draw weight.. You are generating enough kinetic energy to get away with less momentum and still be effective. Your 443grn arrow would not penetrate nearly as well if you were shooting the lesser draw weigh and shorter draw length.

And, of course you are correct that near to perfect tune is critical to any set-up regardless of arrow weight, draw weight, and draw length.

Have you consulted your Outfitter about this? The setup is sufficient for harvesting the game you listed, but marginal for some of the larger animals. I'm curious as to why you chose the DK4 over so many others. Do you have a lot of experience with them?

I just remember reading on here every night before our trip last year as it was our first experience with those animals, and granted we didn’t take any quartering to shots, and only a couple broadside shots. Most of our shots were slightly quartering away, so maybe thats why we didn’t have any penetration issues. The arrow on my sable flew about twenty yards past him, and about 15 or so yards past my gemsbok. Got them both on video and I’m amazed at how the arrows just zipped right through them. Whatever you end up taking, just make sure you are confident in your setup and ability to place the arrow where it needs to go. Good luck!

Out of interest, what sight is everyone using?

I currently have a trophy ridge react pro, which ive only re zeroed for 20m after changing to the heavier arrows. Playing around at the farm on the weekend out to 40, i think i was still hitting low, even with the pin dial wound all the way down (only took 6 or 8 shots as light was failing, and i was shooting very poorly)

I suspect i may not be getting the speed required to make the dial algorithms work

Best thing this group does, they share awesome info, experiences and I have learned a ton. The constant in it all, buy quality, shoot straight.
I was in SA exactly a year from today and shot a massive Dagga boy with the bow. I was afraid, that I wasn't pulling enough, had the right broadhead, Kinetic energy, etc.

Stats are this.

Bow Tech Icon, at #70lbs
Easton FMG 5mm stiffest shaft
slightly longer vanes, 3" vanes,
150 grain insert in the front
FOC approx 18%
screw in insert is the cap style to help protect the front of the shaft on bone impact
I used Iron will double bevel S series 200 grain.

Arrow weighed in at 716 gr

I was fighting with becoming too slow, not sure where we graphed out, but it was for conversion sake mid 220's. with the above arrow.

I loved shooting the set up, the heavier arrow, it made me a better shooter, for all kinds of reasons that people will share on here. I liked it, alot. I was solid to 50 with no issues, but 40 and in was and for the most part a done deal.

Had an awesome trip, stalked a Dagga boy, to 20, one arrow, (get lucky with placement) and the big guy ran 50 meters, fell over, bellowed and was dead. had about 20-22" of penetration and I was right in the perfect spot, got heart and lung.

Shot a Sable, at 23, was text book shot, I mean perfect, PH thought so, would of bet $1mill dollars. Arrow flew in and did some funky turn and did not go where it was supposed to. Go figure.
No judgement here, just some info to chew on. I had all kinds of broadheads come in to my house tried many, I really liked the Ironwill and they have matching field tips as well, saves on targets, proved to be worth it. but I will say that I likely won't use their broadheads again, after that Sable failure, even though did the job on the Buff. I shot a Wildebeest with a Wasp sharpshooter 150 grain with bleeders (if not familiar, literally recreation in my mind of the bear super razor head ) and even with a mediocre shot it took awhile but killed it too.

keep sharing all

My kit has been updated.

I was lucky to have my bow fail in my back yard a couple of weeks ago. I say lucky because I'm very glad that it failed then, and not on arrival in Africa

The limbs were replaced under warranty by PSE, but as we werent sure how long it would take to get the limbs, I bought a new Bowtech Revolt X. 70lb, 33" AtA, and then had a mate who makes strings replace the rubbish factory strings

It cost more than I wanted to spend leading up to a trip, but I'm so glad I did it. it shoots so much better than the PSE ever did. Its way more stable, quieter, and vastly more accurate.

cant wait to use it over there, and would be practising now if it wasnt blowing a gale

Best thing this group does, they share awesome info, experiences and I have learned a ton. The constant in it all, buy quality, shoot straight.
I was in SA exactly a year from today and shot a massive Dagga boy with the bow. I was afraid, that I wasn't pulling enough, had the right broadhead, Kinetic energy, etc.

Stats are this.

Bow Tech Icon, at #70lbs
Easton FMG 5mm stiffest shaft
slightly longer vanes, 3" vanes,
150 grain insert in the front
FOC approx 18%
screw in insert is the cap style to help protect the front of the shaft on bone impact
I used Iron will double bevel S series 200 grain.

Arrow weighed in at 716 gr

I was fighting with becoming too slow, not sure where we graphed out, but it was for conversion sake mid 220's. with the above arrow.

I loved shooting the set up, the heavier arrow, it made me a better shooter, for all kinds of reasons that people will share on here. I liked it, alot. I was solid to 50 with no issues, but 40 and in was and for the most part a done deal.

Had an awesome trip, stalked a Dagga boy, to 20, one arrow, (get lucky with placement) and the big guy ran 50 meters, fell over, bellowed and was dead. had about 20-22" of penetration and I was right in the perfect spot, got heart and lung.

Shot a Sable, at 23, was text book shot, I mean perfect, PH thought so, would of bet $1mill dollars. Arrow flew in and did some funky turn and did not go where it was supposed to. Go figure.
No judgement here, just some info to chew on. I had all kinds of broadheads come in to my house tried many, I really liked the Ironwill and they have matching field tips as well, saves on targets, proved to be worth it. but I will say that I likely won't use their broadheads again, after that Sable failure, even though did the job on the Buff. I shot a Wildebeest with a Wasp sharpshooter 150 grain with bleeders (if not familiar, literally recreation in my mind of the bear super razor head ) and even with a mediocre shot it took awhile but killed it too.

keep sharing all
I had a similar experience with my Eland. Arrow was angling forward, tucked in tight behind the shoulder. Exited about 8 inches back toward the back of lung and liver. Hard track but the Tracker found him.
IMG_20210915_082424.jpg

Interesting on the Eland, mine was a perfect broad side, in the sweet spot, arrow goes in and does a hard left towards the brisket, or something like that. Unsure, we followed the entry but couldn't find the exit while hanging in the meat locker, couldn't find the arrow in the field. Strangest thing

Out of interest, what sight is everyone using?

I currently have a trophy ridge react pro, which ive only re zeroed for 20m after changing to the heavier arrows. Playing around at the farm on the weekend out to 40, i think i was still hitting low, even with the pin dial wound all the way down (only took 6 or 8 shots as light was failing, and i was shooting very poorly)

I suspect i may not be getting the speed required to make the dial algorithms work
I have been numerous times and used both fixed and floating pin sights. I will never use a single pin sight without the fixed pin option ever again. My last couple trips, I have used the Garmin Zero A1i and been very happy with it. I was able to get my Sables down with no difficulty and also hunted in the Arabian desert in the Saudi Arabian Peninsula and it was bright enough to use during the day in the desert with no shade. Seriously, that sight is legit. I now own two of them so that I have one on my main bow and one on my backup bow. I just got their new one, the pro, which I need mainly for using in 3D archery where I might have to shoot out to 100+ yards for targets - something I would never try on a real hunt.

You can get the older top of the line, the A1i regular for probably half price if you want to buy a used one from somebody upgrading to the Pro. Always get the A1i though as you can have multiple arrow profiles. That is nice to have so you can switch arrow weights and just select the arrow at the top and all your marks are set. I think it can handle up to 10 different arrows, which is way more than you would need. I have mine set for 3 though - my 3D target arrows, my normal safari arrows and my super heavy (elephant/rhino/giraffe) arrows.

My son and I went last August, my setup was 30 inch draw, 65 lbs, 443 grain arrow and it blew through everything thing I shot. Complete pass through on sable, gemsbok, warthog and springbok. Used beman ics hunter 340, with slick trick standards, wac ems, and a sevr expandabl on the springbok. Speed was 276 fps. I think it’s easy to get caught up thinking you need to shoot real heavy arrows, I think it’s more important to make sure your setup is tuned and flying true.

Yeah, I've read the Ashby stuff. I've been in contact with one of my PH's clients who's bow hunted quite extensively in Africa (half a dozen buff & the Big 4) for guidance. At his suggestion here is what I came up with. My PH who is also a bow hunter gave it the thumbs up as well.

PG- Airstrike 300, 150 gr VPA 3 blade, 75 gr HIT for a 470 gr TAW. Athens Vista 33 28" DL @ 70#

Buff/giraffe- Sirius Orion 200, 250 gr Cutthroat, 200 gr half sleeve & 75 gr HIT for a 911 gr TAW. Athens Vista 35 @ 75#. (Though I am questioning if that extra 75 gr HIT is necessary)

Bows are perfectly tuned- slapping bare shafts and broad heads at 20 y and perfect BS & BH flight up to 40.

PS I've gone to an Option 4 bow sight after talking with another bow hunter on our puddle jumper flight out to spike camp in Alaska. Really like those sights.

Last edited:
I’m probably late to the party on this but in reading the original question I would just echo what others have said, the setup will do fine but the broadhead is no good. Heavy animals require a fixed blade one piece broadhead IMO. I’ve actually become quite a fan on the two blade one piece styles. The two blades will penetrate through just about anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross