AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
I will be shooting a hoyt carbon element at 65lbs with easton axis full metal jacket 400 size 26 inches long.Was planning on using g5 montec in 100 or 125 grain not sure if the 100 is enough.Will be trying to take a few animals maybe like a kudu being the biggest.Thanks Bill

Bill,

I think your set-up is plenty good. If you take good broadside to slightly quartering away shots, you should have no problem. I shot a Mathews Z7 at 70# with Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrows and 100 grain Shuttle T-Lock broadheads when I went last year. My total arrow weight was in the 410 grain range. I took warthog, kudu, gemsbuck, blue wildebeest, blesbok, impala, zebra and eland with that setup. I had an exit hole on every animal I took except for the eland.

Remember, African animals are tough, but if you put an arrow in the right spot, they go down in a hurry. Study suggested shot placement photos and memorize them. If you put an arrow in this area, they will go down.

nd

this is the same setup that i use for moose in northern canada. if your setup can kill a whitetail, then it can kill any plainsgame in africa.

Bill,

I think your set-up is plenty good. If you take good broadside to slightly quartering away shots, you should have no problem. I shot a Mathews Z7 at 70# with Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrows and 100 grain Shuttle T-Lock broadheads when I went last year. My total arrow weight was in the 410 grain range. I took warthog, kudu, gemsbuck, blue wildebeest, blesbok, impala, zebra and eland with that setup. I had an exit hole on every animal I took except for the eland.

Remember, African animals are tough, but if you put an arrow in the right spot, they go down in a hurry. Study suggested shot placement photos and memorize them. If you put an arrow in this area, they will go down.

nd

Well said. Shot placement is key, but also make sure your broadheads are very, very sharp and try and shoot an arrow of no less than 400grains.

I was told about trying to get to that 400grain arrow weight for elk also but because of my short draw length not easy to do.My arrows are only 26" long so with a 125 head I am around 385 and 25 less with the 100grain heads.I am A big believe in shot placement means more then anything with good sharp heads.Not sure if there is a better arrow then the full metal jacket easton.I have be very impressed with this arrow so far.

Bill you can get some insert weight tubes for your arrows that increase the weight and make sure that you have the mass for penetration.
Make sure you glue them in.

I built some extreme FOC arrows: with a 220 grain broad head and the heaviest insert tubes to a final weight of 756 grains.
(Good enough to meet KZN specifications for hunting Buffalo from reference literature)

This should do the trick though. If you really want to make sure.
Where to purchase them:
Buy 3Rivers Carbon Arrow Weight Tubes, Dz. - Archery Hunting Arrows 3Rivers Carbon Arrow Weight Tubes

The insert weights seem pretty nice to add some weight.The reviews on them seemed ok also.Thanks for the tip

Hi guys i shoot at 55lb bows would that be enough for taking most Africa animals or to light.55lb and sharp broadheads are enough for Australian game animals

Australian Huntsman,

More is always better in my opinion, but with lighter poundage, I think you need to do all you can to maximize penetration. First, make sure you are using a high quality 2 blade cut on contact broadhead. Second, try to shoot a little "heavier than normal" arrows, but in a smaller diameter to maximize penetration, but also reduce drag with the decreased surface area. The easiest way to do this is to use weight tubes as mentioned above.

Next, you will have to be more critical of your shot placement. Be patient and wait for the perfect shots.

When I was in Africa last year, there was an eleven year old girl who was shooting 40 lbs. and she took impala, gemsbuck and warthog with her set-up.

Good luck.

nd

I shoot a 70 lb Mathews Z-Max with 420gr arrows (100gr heads) and have sent several arrows completely through moose out to 40yds with it. KE wise it would be similar to what you are shooting.

The 2 keys to great penetration are 1) true arrow flight - papertune your bow. I find that single cams tuned 1/2" tail high at 20feet shooting slightly heavy spined arrows track true from 40 feet on out. Play with your bow and find out what it likes. If you dont have confidence paper tuning then go back to the maximum range that you feel confident shooting at and shoot 2 groups, 1 with broadheads and another with feild points of the same weight. Then adjust your rest until both groups hit the same spot. You will be amazed at how much more penetration you will have with a well tuned rig. (this technique obviously does not apply to expandables)
2) Broadhead cutting surface. I prefer a 1" 2 blade cut on impact broadhead for the big stuff but also like 1" 2 or 3 blade expandables as well for smaller game. Those 2 1/2" or many bladed heads are a gimmick that will cost you plenty of penetration. A 1" hole in an animal will bring them down just as quickly as a 2" or bigger hole.

I shoot with my matthews set at 58 pounds. My arrow broadhead combination wieghs in at 350 grains. I used G5 montecs in africa. I had pass throughs on both warthogs and impalla. I took quartering away shots at my Zebra and kudu driving the arrow into the off side shoulder. I made a bad shot on my Gemsbok but got enough penetration to cut an artery.
Your set up will work just fine for any plains game.

Well said Diamondhitch. Any arrow flying true will penetrate better than one with a wag. I would recomend that a person shoot the heaviest arrow/broadhead combination that you can tune your set-up to.
My humble oppinion is that the number one most important variable for penetration is to tune your bow and your arrow to fly truely. Number two would be a good quality, cut on contact, two blade broadhead.(if you can find one that your set-up shoots well). And number three would be arrow/broadhead weight. There is not much difference in importance between 2 and 3, but an arrow flying truely is most important.
My 2 cents, Mike

Dont fiddle with your setup shoot new sharp blades into the vital areas(NB) of any of the game you mentioned and they will go down Hakuna mahtata

I quite disagree with most of the replies. Go with a 243, and if you put it in the right place any african animal will Go down... Do not mess with african animals, T hey are not comparabile with european or north american ones. Penetration is the key. So, stay on 500 grs of total arrow weight, with a 2 blade bh. Fmj arrows are definitely the way to go, but use 340, or even Better 300. My setup: Pse Dna 69# at 29; Fmj 300, Hunor Africa on heavyest game or Neo up to Eland, wt. 125. Total arrow weight 520 grs, 278.5 fps, over 90 E and almost 0.6 Mom. Last week, total pass through an Eland on a quarte ring away shot, arrow 16 mt. From the animal, dead in 50 mt. With Neos. And a1,5 bh does a LOT of difference. With this setup, you Go out 15 cm. On a broadside shot of a mature dagga boy, usi g Africa bh. Leave 350-400 arrows at home, trust me.

What do you think about this Set-Up?
Bow: DNA SP 2014 63# at 27'' 236ft/sec KE: 64.9 Momentum:0.549
Arrow: Carbon xpress Pildriver 350 at 28.5+50 grains insert+125 grains broadheads, Hunor Atilla and G5 Stricker with a total weight of 525 grains.
I am going to bowhunt this August to Namibia.
Oryx of course, Black wildebeest, wartog and perhaps Redhardebeest and Eland....

I am sure you will do totally fine with that setup gasta.
I would focus on using the Hunor Atilla on most if not all of the animals listed with your setup.

Thank you Norwegianwoods,
I bowhunted Impala, Wartog, Bluewildebeest and Blesbock with the G5 Stricker but for this adventure I think so that I shoot all the time the Atilla broadheads.
I probe the Hunor few days ago and I love it.

If possible, just to be on the safe side, invest some hours in the weight room and Go to 65. i shifted to DNA after years hunting with longer bows, like Xlr 8, and tests with shorter ones like Revenges. Can not be happyer. I was one of the first bh testing the early prototypes of Hunors, a LOT in Africa, and the only time I shifted was for elephant (Ashby 315). NeXT one will Go down with Hunors 200. Keep 125, fullstop. If you will hunt (as you should do) with an experienced bowhunting ph, in a bh only area, and mostly from a blind, the setup is ok. If you stalk hard, train for long shots up to 50. That way, look for blue wildebeests, and for red hart. Orix will be very hard to get that way. Let us know how it goes, of course !

Depending on where in Africa you are shooting , you may be in conflict of the law with your set up . When I went to Nambia in 2011 you had to beable to shoot 65 lbs and an arrow of no less then 450 grains for the largest of plains game IE: Eland .
Glen
Good luck and play safe !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg