Bought myself a plinking gun...

Forrest Halley

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
....after having drooled over it since I was a kid and catalogs were folded pieces of paper. I used to memorize the leaflets for the various manufacturers and one which always stuck out in my mind was the Ruger catalog with the No. 1 Tropical. Something about the large calibers just got me excited and made my imagination run wild. It was always too much or too late or something similar getting in the way. So earlier this year I caught a bug and limped into the safari calibers in the cheap seats. I purchased a T/C Encore Pro Hunter in .375 H&H. I figured since I know the gun well it would be a great way to play with the caliber without overly committing. So I did the normal adding weight to the stock tricks and using a scope with big eye relief, but it just never took hold. The trigger was heavy and the recoil was, while not painful, very fast and lively. I just am not a fan of something so light for caliber that requires an agressive hold and flawless technique to avoid the scope eliminating all eye relief.

So fast forward a few months and I found a used with character Ruger No.1 in .375 H&H. This is not so easy to do anymore thanks to the introduction of the .375 Johnny Come Lately. Anyhow, I saw this old girl and just had to have her. She has a beautiful stock with a few dings and dents. There was some rust to brush off. There was even a dead bug in the breach. The perfect rifle! So now I don't have to worry about messing it up, just focus on shooting and respecting it. I tore it completely down and scrubbed it clean.

The last owner left me with a very light trigger and the ejector turned off. I turned the ejector way up and left the trigger light. I changed the safety to a Legacy Arms Works aftermarket safety. It is very nice and doesn't hang up empties. It still wears the tired red pad. I have not gotten a chance to change it yet.

I skipped the iron sights completely. That rear sight is unappealing and can stay folded down. I used Warne Permanently Attached rings and mounted a 30mm Leupold VX-R Firedot 2-7x33. I am happy so far with this set up although it took a lot of torque to get the scope rings to stay in place on the quarter rail. Much more the 25 in/lbs.

Figuring that the red recoil pad was going to eat my lunch. I cautiously loaded a PPU 300gr soft point and braced for the storm. Uber light trigger broke and rifle roared. I was still standing and my eye was not bludgeoned. Levered the empty out and took note of where I hit the target. Rinsed, repeated, and survived again. Two shots next to each other. Dialed in some corrections and sent the third round. Got it dialed in roughly, but the shoulder began to tenderize after the fourth shot. By the fifth and sixth I was weary and the barrel was hot so I gave it a rest. Off hand 30-35 yards. I am very excited to be custodian of this lovely lady for a while and easing out of the cheap seats into a real rifle.

IMG_20190809_163056457.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to you sir. I have had 4 No 1s and they are wonderful rifles

I enjoy my No. 1 in 375HH so much, I added it to my engagement pictures with the fiancé last night! Congrats, enjoy, keep your powder dry

- Sycamore59

Forrest,
How 'bout some pix of your groups. Show us how that beauty shoots.

I enjoy my No. 1 in 375HH so much, I added it to my engagement pictures with the fiancé last night! Congrats, enjoy, keep your powder dry

- Sycamore59
The joy that came over me after that first shot was immeasurable. I am considering moving my .375 dies onto my progressive press simply to keep up with the demand. Single stage is far too slow.

Forrest,
How 'bout some pix of your groups. Show us how that beauty shoots.
When I get some groups shot I will post them. The target above was shot today all offhand hastily and I had only six rounds in my pocket. The 3 wild shots were the 300gr PPU and the shots in the orange were 300gr Sierra BTSP over 79.0gr of RL-19. I was looking at the Accubonds when I bought that powder. The Sierra's are what's available on the ground in 200's and 300's. I'm looking at fitting a Decelerator pronto. The Red Devil is 40 years old and showing its age.

Someone on here said in another thread that the 375 h&h is the gateway drug to big bore rifles. Boy is he right. You will soon find yourself looking at 416s 458s and maybe even some doubles.(wether you can afford them or not)
Congratulations on the purchase!!

Try some Barnes 235 gr TSX and 63 gr of 4064. My Win 70 375 likes them.

Congratulations, on the rifles and the cartridge. I throughly enjoy the 375 H&H and also the 375 Johnny Come Lately. Both are outstanding rounds. I have more than one of each. I like them both, but hunt mostly with the 375 Ruger.
I sighted a M70 Classic stainless in today, following its barrel reduction to 22" and scope swap. It is certainly not a light rifle, even with the McMillan fiberglass stock. But the recoil with factory loaded 300 TSX is pretty mild off the bench.
Enjoy your 375, they can be addictive.

So what is the fate of the T/C Encore?

So what is the fate of the T/C Encore?
Trade options will be investigated and then it will be sold. I no longer have a use for it.
What does the No 1 weigh?
I'm guessing it's in the high nine pound range. It feels hefty, but not oppressive, and it soaks up the recoil decently. I'll get back to you on that.

The .375 HH Magnum is the Swiss army knife of rifle calibers. Of course , l never want to limit myself to two guns ( who , in their right mind , does ? ) , But I can confidently say that l could hunt the world with a .375 HH Magnum ( my personal favorite being a BRNO ZKK -602 ) and a 12 gauge 3 inch Magnum Chamber Over under .
Great Find :)
Try some Winchester Noslers through it :)

I concur that it is a versatile caliber. I wish I had discovered it much earlier. It downloads well for smaller game and shooters. In a well made rifle with some heft, it is a joy to shoot. It is to the world, what the .30-06 is to North America.

Congrats on the No. 1. Just in case you are interested NECG makes a beautiful set of irons for it. Swap out the rings for a set of Warne Q/R Rings and you'll be able to go from Scope to Irons of vice versa in just a couple of minutes. That is the same set -up I have on my Ruger No. 1 in 416 Rigby and my CZ 550 in 404 Jeffery.

Shucks! I bought myself ANOTHER plinking gun! Somehow I clicked on the bid button on a NIB Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 and won it for a fair price. They are multiplying! I think I may have to rid myself of my .300WMs to account for the power level redundancy. It's a sweet shouldering gun and I think I am going to have to ignore GB for a while now to avoid any further deals. Thank goodness for good iron sights on this one, but if anybody is sure of the Warne mount model number I'll gladly take it under advisement...

I just bought a set of Warne bases for my Mod 70 African Express in 375 H&H. I don't remember the part number but the rear base has a .330" hole spacing. They stock three different sets of bases for Mod. 70s. Be sure to get the right one!! Please don't ask why I remember the hole spacing issue.

Congrats on the No. 1, they are fine rifles. I am a huge fan of them, and currently own 3 of them. Oh, and congrats on the Mod 70. (y)(y)

Congrats on the #1, its my favorite hunting rifle.

Congrats on the #1, its my favorite hunting rifle.
Well with the light trigger on it I am certain that it will be my favorite also. I grew accustomed to good triggers in rimfire competitions in college and it never quite left me that heavy triggers are for revolvers and everything else should be less than two pounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross