Tony485

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sci
Yesterday I decided I was going to clean out my safe and get rid of some guns that were just collecting dust. I went to a local store to only sell looking for store credit for any possible upcoming needs.
As we are going though the procedures of selling my guns I mention I would like to buy a 375h&h one day to get practice with. Getting used to the recoil so when we go on our safari I will feel comfortable using one if the opportunity should come up. Which I hope it does because it’s a caliber I have always admired just never had the chance to fire one or need to buy one, until now! Planing our first trip to Africa gives me all the reasoning to buy one.
Before I know it the owner pulls out a Remington 798 in 375h&h made by Zastava Mauser action I know a bit about it and I’ll be honest it’s in my price range so needless to say I left the store a proud owner of a 375h&h. I’m looking forward to firing it and feel the power behind it!!
Any input on the gun will be much appreciated.

be careful not to introduce it to any other .375's... you cant trust those things..

the next thing you know you'll have a litter of 416's, 458's, and 404's living in your safe.. :)

Congrats, that rifle will make a fine gateway drug into the 375 and above world. I remember the first 375 I bought, I said something cute like this is all I will ever need. I can’t put my finger on where the actual spiral into the abyss started but I can say it will only end with a shoulder that will no longer tolerate the abuse or I die. I am currently sitting on enough DG rifles ranging from the 9.3’s to the 505 Gibbs to rid any escape of circus animals and still looking for my next fix. It just seems that a man can never have enough rifles, with age I have found myself getting further from the composite stocks and ceracote finishes and longing for the figured walnut and fine blueing.
So where I am going with this is that the Remington will serve you just fine until your next one that will probably be better yet. Enjoy learning how to shoot it and if you reload, playing around with different concoctions at the range. But don’t for one second think that this is your last 375 or bigger.

Congrats on the new addition!

@Tony485 congrats buddy and welcome to the dark side. I just like you started with a 375 H&H I now also have a 416 Rigby. The 375 H&H will feel lonely with out another big cal to hang out with and all the other cals will make fun of it for being big.

I actually bought a box of 375 H&H ammo before I even had a rifle so chambered. I started my big bore rifle journey with a Ruger No 1 in 458 Win Mag. The first round I fired had me hooked. But when I looked at those long, sexy 375 H&H cartridges, I knew I had to back up and punt. The old H&H is a must for any gun collection. The Zastava should serve you well. It may not end up being the slickest rifle you own, but it should be reliable.

Thank you for all the kind words and warnings off the addictions lol. In time I could see it all happening!!

I bought my Zastava Interarms Whitworth in 1984 and its the only .375 I have owned except for one Steyr S model that I bought on spec and sold quickly at a profit. Have never really felt the need to replace or augment my Whitworth. Great rifle and cartridge.

My 375 H&H has served me well from duiker to Cape buffalo. It’s about the max I can handle, so it’s all I need (but not necessarily all I want:ROFLMAO:!)

Welcome to the Clan of the King of Rifles. I am afraid you have been hooked and will never be able to escape the lure of big bores. I naively thought when I bought my 375 I'd never need anything bigger. Now I'm waiting on my 404 Jeffery. I say now that I will not need anything else but we know all about famous last words. Enjoy your new prize. You will love it.

Welcome to the Clan of the King of Rifles. I am afraid you have been hooked and will never be able to escape the lure of big bores. I naively thought when I bought my 375 I'd never need anything bigger. Now I'm waiting on my 404 Jeffery. I say now that I will not need anything else but we know all about famous last words. Enjoy your new prize. You will love it.
Damnit Boomer, when is it getting there? @Montana Rifle Company

Congrats on the .375! It is a new world of excitement to shoot.
I bought a sako in .375 H&H last year. Now I’m about to add another .375 to the safe. Why? It is a hobby... and a lot cheaper than a mistress.

Congratulations on the Rem 798 I started off with a MK X and it was a great shooter but sold it to buy another brand which I thought was supposed to be even better. After a summer of range time the new Rifle I wasn't happy with the performance. Then while searching Gunbroker I came across a Whitworth 375 up for bid so I sold my present 375 and won the bid on the Whitworth. The 798 isn't quite a fancy as the Whitworth but they share the same heart, enjoy your new 375

Damnit Boomer, when is it getting there? @Montana Rifle Company

Wish to hell I knew. I've been calling and leaving voice messages for months and finally wrote a letter on 7 Jan. I ordered it in March 2019 and was told it would go into production by June to be delivered by Sep. I called in Sep and was told there was a problem with the receiver and it should be ready in Oct. Nope. More delays. A week after my letter outlining my dilemma and asking where in hell my rifle was after 10 months, Ron Petty called me and said that chromoly won't work for 404 J. We discussed options and I decided to go stainless metal. He assured me he would jump on the factory and get it going and would personally pick a choice piece of wood for the stock. I strongly suggested it might be a pious idea to have it in my hot little hands by SCI show because there will be several companies there who will just love to sell me a rifle. He is supposed to call me the first of next week with a progress report.

@Tony485 Congrats on your new rifle.
Love to see a few pics of the new addition.
Let us know how it shoots.

Congrats on the .375! It is a new world of excitement to shoot.
I bought a sako in .375 H&H last year. Now I’m about to add another .375 to the safe. Why? It is a hobby... and a lot cheaper than a mistress.
If you were talking about just about any run of the mill 375, I would agree with you 100%.
But you will adding a Blaser R8 375...I think the mistress is still in play. :D

upload_2020-1-18_10-3-55.jpeg
A1B11613-7295-49D7-AF14-B81E11D2D9B7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.