Bought an original FN in 404 Jeffery

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate the kind words and all the info!

Von Gruff, your names pops up a lot when ones searches for the 404 Jeffery, thanks for all the research, excellent reading material when you are into the 404.

John Telford, trading rifles outside of Belgium is an adventure in the most negative kind of way, one mistake in the paperwork and you may end up losing all your guns (as a Belgian), so it's something I stay clear of. I know it is possible, but definately not recommended.

By the way, a friend of mine who is an avid FN collector has found the original manual from 1959 that came with my type of rifle. He told me it has a much better home together with the rifle it was meant for, so he gave it to me. So now I have the original FN 404 Jeffery rifle together with the original manual from 1959. It is in french language, but being from Belgium french is my second language (after my mother tongue dutch, actually flemish, which is sort of the same, also sounds a bit like Zuid Afrikaans), I can read the manual perfectly.View attachment 349621
It is really interesting that they offered a variant ... Chambered in .425 Westley Richards . Barring Westley Richards themselves ... We hardly ever see or hear of any brands chambering this calibre in 1 of their rifles .

I also observe that the .458 Winchester magnum is not listed , as an available calibre offering . I would have to speculate that your catalogue predates mine , Peter .

.425 Westley Richards m'a toujours intrigué . Vous apprenez chaque jour quelque chose de nouveau.

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate the kind words and all the info!

Von Gruff, your names pops up a lot when ones searches for the 404 Jeffery, thanks for all the research, excellent reading material when you are into the 404.

John Telford, trading rifles outside of Belgium is an adventure in the most negative kind of way, one mistake in the paperwork and you may end up losing all your guns (as a Belgian), so it's something I stay clear of. I know it is possible, but definately not recommended.

By the way, a friend of mine who is an avid FN collector has found the original manual from 1959 that came with my type of rifle. He told me it has a much better home together with the rifle it was meant for, so he gave it to me. So now I have the original FN 404 Jeffery rifle together with the original manual from 1959. It is in french language, but being from Belgium french is my second language (after my mother tongue dutch, actually flemish, which is sort of the same, also sounds a bit like Zuid Afrikaans), I can read the manual perfectly.View attachment 349621

A couple of interesting things from this manual. At least to me.

The manual shows both the Mauser safety and the slide safety. Makes you wonder if 1959 was the year they made the change over.

The Mauser bolt release was still in use, so it changed after 1959.

Hello Peter1983,

Welcome to the forum and CONGRATULATIONS for your rifle!!!!! I have one in 30-06 very similar. Outstanding rifle you have and bought for a ridiculous low price!! Enjoy it!
I ask you, if possible, to show a picture of the internal of magazine from above with the bolt open.
Thank you and Best Regards

CF

Great find, I had one some 40 years ago, hunted my first buffalo with one, sorry I sold it but it fetched $800 even back then, no telling what that gun would bring today..If you ever decide to part with it let me know!! I did however remain a fan of the 404 Jefferys and hunted many buffalo with one..

Peter1983 - As others have said, that is one fine rifle and at an incredible price!

Now being Belgian and FN still operating, would it be possible to send a letter or email with the serial number and pictures of the markings to FN requesting if they could provide you with the date of manufacture or any other information?

Some companies will provide letters stating date of manufacture, who or what business it was shipped to, custom order, ect......

I think it would be interesting to find out what information FN could give you; and if they will send you any information on it I would think the documentation they give you could possibly increase the value of your rifle substantially.

Did everyone miss a very important part of this deal. The 80 year old man is getting rid of ALL OF HIS RIFLES, what are the rest of this rifles!

No I didn't Lon. Just too far away to do me any good.

Did everyone miss a very important part of this deal. The 80 year old man is getting rid of ALL OF HIS RIFLES, what are the rest of this rifles!

The most important question in this thread.......

I got "snap breathing" when I saw the pictures of this rifle.

Should there be more rifles like this, I probably would die of a heart attack!!!

HWL

Clodo Ferreira, you can find some close up pictures below, hope it is what you are looking for. Some pictures I took with the flash on, so the stock looks a bit cheap, but to quote a friend who checked my rifle last weekend "it looks way better in person than on the pictures you have send me".

Major Khan: I know my catalogue is a 1959 one (also confirmed by the FN collector), yours must be a 1960's one I believe, but I am definately no expert, altough from all the info I found so far and everything I read here, it must be.

The 80 year old collector is in his eighties (so could even be 89 years old) I heard last week from the gunshop owner, he is a bit suspecious and doesn't want anyone to know what kind and how many rifles he owns, even the gunshop owner doesn't know, the man only brings a new rifle for sale when the previous one has been sold, it's a little bit weird, but who am I to judge. The rifle before this FN was also bought by me, a brand new BRNO ZKK602 in 458 Win Mag from 1992, also € 500 ($ 550).

deewayne2003: I may send an e-mail to FN, but I really doubt they will answer, I don't think they pay much attention to the little man, they are mostly focussed on big government contracts nowadays. Big companies are only about profit, so my expectations are low, but you never know, it's a "longshot" ;)

By the way, if anyone has the book "Great African Calibers" by Tony Sanchez-Arino, he has some pages written on the 404 Jeffery, but the online version you get for free on the internet only gives you the first 38 pages, so it stops just before he starts his chapter on the 404. If anyone of you has this book and is willing to take a picture of the couple of pages that concern the 404, I would very much appreciate it if you could send me these (private message or in this forum).

IMG_20200525_202007994.jpg
IMG_20200525_202055701.jpg
IMG_20200525_202025698.jpg
IMG_20200525_202410318.jpg
IMG_20200525_202153419.jpg
IMG_20200525_202256734.jpg

Peter1983.... I certainly know what you mean about the big companies not caring about the little guy; but you never know, maybe someone working in the office/reception at FN is an old man or gun enthusiast that may take special interest and help you.

Either way, from the recent pictures you posted the rifle appears to be in nearly new condition..... Being the same age as you and having interest in large bore rifles, I too have come across gun shops that are selling off the collections of elderly collectors. I have found like you that some of these elderly collectors can be quite secretive but they also appreciate younger collectors like ourselves taking interest in their hobby and these elder statesmen of gun collecting also appreciate the idea of their collection or at least large portions of it going to the same collector vs. being sold to many different random people.

If I can offer a bit of advice; I would tell the shop owner to please inform the elderly gentleman who is selling off his collection that you are the purchaser of his last 2 rifles he has sold and that you appreciate both the quality of his collection and his concern for privacy and you would greatly appreciate being given a "first right of refusal" when he feels the desire to sell another rifle from his collection.

This would give you the advantage of having first opportunity to buy and would allow him to maintain more privacy as some of his future sales would not to sit on the shelf of the local gun store on display to the general public.

Hello Peter1983,

Thank you VERY MUCH!
Your pictures are exactly what I was looking for!
Thank you, again, and Best Regards!

CF

@peter1983 If you would be so kind as to have the gunshop owner remind the kind old gentleman collector that he has a long lost Nephew in the US in Arizona that is willing to come pickup the family firearm heirlooms, take care of them and make sure they get to africa and are hunted I would appreciate it :A Outta:

All kidding aside you have a great rifle and I look forward to seeing what else you are able to purchase for some incredibility prices.

Please let us all know how your 404 shoots

Maybe I missed it in the thread. How many rounds does the magazine hold and will the extractor snap over a round loaded up the spout? Without forcing!

Maybe I missed it in the thread. How many rounds does the magazine hold and will the extractor snap over a round loaded up the spout? Without forcing!
It will hold 3 cartridges and the examples which I have personal experience with ... Did not possess a bevel on the extractor .

Well, I haven't contacted FN yet, but the gunshop owner was in contact with the elderly collector and he bought the FN in 404 Jeffery decades ago from what he remembered as a very old man who once bought the rifle new. That man was a hunter and he used this FN in 404 Jeffery for exactly that, but looking at the shape of the rifle I don't believe it has seen much hunting. He couldn't remember any more details and we'll never know as the original owner was already an old man several decades ago.
So after a little over 60 years I am the third owner of this rifle, which sort of makes sense, unless the rifle was bought by a very young man back in the late 1950's, which wasn't the case.
I will definately shoot this rifle once in a while, mainly for fun, altough the RWS ammo that came with it is loaded rather hot I read (401 grains at 2350 fps for close to 5000 ft lbs), and in a fairly lightweight rifle (3,6 kg spot on which is a little under 8 lbs) without any rubber buttstock that is going to get my attention even though I am used to 458's, but those have rubber buttstocks.
Now that the gunshop owner knows I have a thing for these kind of rifles he will give me a heads-up next time a safari rifle comes in the store.

Wow. Beautiful rifle and welcome to the forum. I had picked up a very nice .270 FN M98 from a friend that had it for at least 30 years. He shot exactly one round through it. His wife had bought it for him very early in their marriage. She is from Belgium and had purchased it off of a man who was in the Airforce.
I had been intrigued by this rifle because it was very light and had an odd looking 3 range rear aperture sight mounted on the receiver. It was in 100, 200 and 300 yard increments. It also had no importation marks on it. Long story short, I emailed FN with the model and serial number. They responded in not too long of time with all of the information they had. It was built in that configuration by an employee for that gentleman in the service. Apparently, he was a friend.
FN will respond. There are still people there who appreciate collector’s interests.

Well, I haven't contacted FN yet, but the gunshop owner was in contact with the elderly collector and he bought the FN in 404 Jeffery decades ago from what he remembered as a very old man who once bought the rifle new. That man was a hunter and he used this FN in 404 Jeffery for exactly that, but looking at the shape of the rifle I don't believe it has seen much hunting. He couldn't remember any more details and we'll never know as the original owner was already an old man several decades ago.
So after a little over 60 years I am the third owner of this rifle, which sort of makes sense, unless the rifle was bought by a very young man back in the late 1950's, which wasn't the case.
I will definately shoot this rifle once in a while, mainly for fun, altough the RWS ammo that came with it is loaded rather hot I read (401 grains at 2350 fps for close to 5000 ft lbs), and in a fairly lightweight rifle (3,6 kg spot on which is a little under 8 lbs) without any rubber buttstock that is going to get my attention even though I am used to 458's, but those have rubber buttstocks.
Now that the gunshop owner knows I have a thing for these kind of rifles he will give me a heads-up next time a safari rifle comes in the store.
Pete, congratulations...on a great caliber and historical rifle...you do not need your .458 `S anymore..you can do all hunting with only your 404 Jeffery..sell all the other rifles and book a buffalo hunt in Africa..:LOL::LOL:(y)(y)

Clodo Ferreira, you can find some close up pictures below, hope it is what you are looking for. Some pictures I took with the flash on, so the stock looks a bit cheap, but to quote a friend who checked my rifle last weekend "it looks way better in person than on the pictures you have send me".

Major Khan: I know my catalogue is a 1959 one (also confirmed by the FN collector), yours must be a 1960's one I believe, but I am definately no expert, altough from all the info I found so far and everything I read here, it must be.

The 80 year old collector is in his eighties (so could even be 89 years old) I heard last week from the gunshop owner, he is a bit suspecious and doesn't want anyone to know what kind and how many rifles he owns, even the gunshop owner doesn't know, the man only brings a new rifle for sale when the previous one has been sold, it's a little bit weird, but who am I to judge. The rifle before this FN was also bought by me, a brand new BRNO ZKK602 in 458 Win Mag from 1992, also € 500 ($ 550).

deewayne2003: I may send an e-mail to FN, but I really doubt they will answer, I don't think they pay much attention to the little man, they are mostly focussed on big government contracts nowadays. Big companies are only about profit, so my expectations are low, but you never know, it's a "longshot" ;)

By the way, if anyone has the book "Great African Calibers" by Tony Sanchez-Arino, he has some pages written on the 404 Jeffery, but the online version you get for free on the internet only gives you the first 38 pages, so it stops just before he starts his chapter on the 404. If anyone of you has this book and is willing to take a picture of the couple of pages that concern the 404, I would very much appreciate it if you could send me these (private message or in this forum).

View attachment 349743 View attachment 349744 View attachment 349745 View attachment 349746 View attachment 349747 View attachment 349748
Pete, may I suggest you buy the following book..African Dangerous game cartridges - Pierre van der Walt , this is by far the best book to have if you need any info on big bore calibers, I have Tony`s book and Pierre`s book , by far Pierre`s book is the best in regards to knowledge about big bore rifles..
download.jpg

Peter 1983 – gratulation ! You bought a very great FN-Mauser in an rare caliber configuration for a very low price! Lucky man!

I like and prefer those FN- sporting rifles too - their action is very smooth, reliable and they show so much craftmanship.
Many years ago, I visited an old friend of my father, who supported my first hunting steps. He was an african hunter, who owned a farm nearby Outjo in Namibia. He showed me some of his hunting rifles and shotguns, when my eyes felt on an big 98-Mauser rifle with an badly cracked stock. The complete rear stock is missing, broken by the grip. The owner told me, that he preferd using this rifle on his hunting trips till the day, when it fell out of an running hunting vehicle. My interest grew, when I saw the caliber oft the sporting rifle - 404 Jeffery – and that it has a solid side wall receiver and was made by the well known FN factory. The owner noticed my interest and at the end of the day, I leave his house with an Winchester 101 super grade shotgun and an half FN–mauser action big bore rifle donated by this generous man. I think you can comprehend, how happy I was about this unexpected present.

The FN-Mauser was fitted with a today vintage 3-9 x 36 Diavari C - Zeiss scope and a strong and reliable EAW-Mount. When you look from above, you can see the FN-Logo on the receiver top through the front mount hole. Im sure that the rifle has already been refurbished and reblued, because the stamps are a little bit flat. The bolt knob is wonderful engraved and the stock abutment shows on one side a symetric flower engraving and on the other side the „404“ in the middle of an globe engraving - great! 404 all over the world. The magazine box/trigger guard and the magazine bottom plate were factory scroll engraved.
The rear sight was probably changed sometimes into an strong one blade sight. The 3-position safety lever was changed by the preowner into a later 2-Position left side lever, because the scope doesnt allow the three position lever (great luck- the original lever was found in the gun cabinet). On the right receiver back bridge are two (factory) drilled holes for mounting an lyman diopter sight.
Very interesting is the silver plate which is welded on the barrel. A preowners name is engraved, the year 1961 and the tanganjikan town of Arusha. I researched that the name belongs to an famous professionel hunter, who was working for a big safari company in Arusha in the late fifties and early sixties. The preowner requested me not to mention the name oft he preowner, so I respect his whish and erased the engraved name on the foto.
The cracked barrel was replaced by an high quality Mauser stock - I was not able to get an original FN stock for a rifle like this. I bought a later safari grade rifle in 7 RemMag (with the mentioned salted wood stock), but the stock is different because there ist the safety deepening behind the bolt, which doesnt have the older models.
I visited the FN museum in Liege/Belgium and asked for the history of such sporting big bore rifles. Everyone was helpful, but the only information I could get about the 404 is, that the rifle with this big bore-cartridge is rare and was built in the Fifties. The production began in 1948, which was also written down in the "Mauser Oberndorf sporting Rifles" by Jon Speed (page 302). Sadly, they curators could not answer how many rifles in that configuration (with the wing safety, the massive mauser bolt stop/ejector) were built. But as a consolation I got an original Safari Grade brochure from the seventies, which included the later sporting rifles like my later bought 7 RemMag-model from 1970.

Shooting precision oft he 404 is excellent and the scope is very clear, compact and functionel with the wide adjustable magnification and the 30/30 reticle.
It would be interesting which serial number Peters 1983 FN- Rifle owns. The serial number of my rifle is 4027x (last number is replaced with the x) and it is stamped on the right side of the receiver. The caliber stamp „404“ on the barrel is different on both rifles – my rifle has only the „404“ stamp without calibre stamp.

Hopefully I can take this great FN-rifle in the future back for an hunting trip to namibia together with my prefered hunting guide Philip Hennings of Khomas Highland Hunting Safaries.

401 -Nr 1.JPG
404 - Nr 2.JPG
404 - Nr 5.JPG
404 - Nr 6.jpg
404 - Nr 3.JPG
404 - Nr 4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,