Bought a Sako Kodiak!!!!!

I bought the SAKO BG in 6.5 Creedmoor this summer and topped it with Leupold VX-5 with CDS. What a tack driver with Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr. Should become my new best friend.

I have a Sako M85 Kodiak in .375 H&H and like it a lot.

Had two issues with it. First, the angle of ejection was too vertical, and it tended to throw cases into the scope turret and then the case fell back into the action. Not good at all on a dangerous game rifle. So I had a machinist make me a new extractor that tightened up the clearance between bolt face and rim. Problem solved. $50 peace of mind. I had turned the scope 90° counterclockwise to clear the ejection port when figuring out how to solve the ejection problem, just left it that way and now like it ( no problem with a dual X reticle). I could return the scope to "normal" orientation but won't because I like the more open ejection port if loading a single round or topping off the magazine.
And I shot it offhand during some practise and the front action screw sheared off and fell out. I was not expecting that, but I may have been guilty of not checking that the screw was tight to begin with. I easily purchased a replacement and have had no problems since.
Of four .375 H&H rifles that I own, this one is the liveliest to handle, has great ergonomics and good trigger and moderate recoil, and is the the 2nd most accurate with all ammunition. It's a keeper.

I have a Sako M85 Kodiak in .375 H&H and like it a lot.

Had two issues with it. First, the angle of ejection was too vertical, and it tended to throw cases into the scope turret and then the case fell back into the action. Not good at all on a dangerous game rifle. So I had a machinist make me a new extractor that tightened up the clearance between bolt face and rim. Problem solved. $50 peace of mind. I had turned the scope 90° counterclockwise to clear the ejection port when figuring out how to solve the ejection problem, just left it that way and now like it ( no problem with a dual X reticle). I could return the scope to "normal" orientation but won't because I like the more open ejection port if loading a single round or topping off the magazine.
And I shot it offhand during some practise and the front action screw sheared off and fell out. I was not expecting that, but I may have been guilty of not checking that the screw was tight to begin with. I easily purchased a replacement and have had no problems since.
Of four .375 H&H rifles that I own, this one is the liveliest to handle, has great ergonomics and good trigger and moderate recoil, and is the the 2nd most accurate with all ammunition. It's a keeper.
Mine does the same thing with the ejection. All I had to do to remedy the problem is leave the scope cap off on the windage side. A little electrical tape over the adjustment screw covers it nicely while in the field. Not something I really wanted to have to do, but I like the rifle too much to let it get to me. It actually jammed on me on my first water buffalo I shot, but luckily I had already hit him with 3 rounds when it jammed on the fourth. The rest of the hunt, I made sure to tilt the rifle to the side when ejecting empties.
Now to the positives. Mine is extremely accurate, and handles like a dream. Bolt operation is slick and the adjustable sights are just right for a DG rifle.

Thanks for sharing the experiences guys.....I'm not scoping it....so I'm not worried about that. The shearing off of the action screw makes me nervous though :eek:

Thanks for sharing the experiences guys.....I'm not scoping it....so I'm not worried about that. The shearing off of the action screw makes me nervous though :eek:
That could happen to any rifle with heavy recoil. Like he said, the screw was probably loose. At any rate, I replaced mine with hardened action screws, due to the soft nature of most factory screws. You can get them through Brownells I believe. Cheap insurance....

Nice......I'll pick some up

I love mine. I also sell them in my store - GREAT value.

I had one for a while in 375 and it was crazy accurate and a dream to handle but recoil was fairly stout compared to most 375s and the shorter barrel made it extra loud. Overall a solid rifle though.

I had one. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot. Killed many wild cattle and water buffalo with it. It performed beautifully on plainsgame up to giraffe in Botswana. I sold it to finance the Sako .500 Jeffery.

Mine had a few slight issues: jamming if I put four rounds in the magazine - with three it was perfect; and I did have to ensure the cartridges were all sitting back in the magazine initially - once the shooting started it fed and cycled perfectly; and, the front bead was too big to be able to place a neat shot at 100m.

That could happen to any rifle with heavy recoil. Like he said, the screw was probably loose. At any rate, I replaced mine with hardened action screws, due to the soft nature of most factory screws. You can get them through Brownells I believe. Cheap insurance....

Can happen with light recoiling firearms too. Had it happen on a 243 SAKO that aI put in a B&C stock - 2nd or 3rd shot. Great bedding job fixed her right up - now that's my "go to" deer rifle.

I had one. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot. Killed many wild cattle and water buffalo with it. It performed beautifully on plainsgame up to giraffe in Botswana. I sold it to finance the Sako .500 Jeffery.

Mine had a few slight issues: jamming if I put four rounds in the magazine - with three it was perfect; and I did have to ensure the cartridges were all sitting back in the magazine initially - once the shooting started it fed and cycled perfectly; and, the front bead was too big to be able to place a neat shot at 100m.
I wonder if your magazine was defective?My rifle feeds very well with 4 cartridges in the magazine. I do agree with the front sight bead being a little too large, but for up close work, I'm sure it would work fine.

I have an Arctos in 30-06. It's my favorite all purpose rifle.

I wonder if your magazine was defective?My rifle feeds very well with 4 cartridges in the magazine. I do agree with the front sight bead being a little too large, but for up close work, I'm sure it would work fine.
I figure it was. A fellow Aussie and member here has one that works as it ought to with four.

I love it. The only problem is the front sight is too big for hundred yard shots. That’s getting fixed now. And the recoil pad is thin and hard. That’s also getting replaced. It is super smooth feeding and cycling.
I've heard the Sako action isn't technically a CRF. Does it still get a good enough grip on the case to offer the peace of mind that a CRF has in a dangerous game scenario? I've been bouncing between a CZ 550 or a Sako 85 Brown Bear in either .416 Rigby or .375 H&H

I own 4 SAKOS's, one of which in 375 H&H. The SAKO requires no barrel break-in and was a one piece bolt. I don't think for the money you can go wrong with any SAKO.

I own 4 SAKOS's, one of which in 375 H&H. The SAKO requires no barrel break-in and was a one piece bolt. I don't think for the money you can go wrong with any SAKO.

I have no doubts to the quality of the SAKO rifles. I have multiple friends who swear by them for PG and North American big game. However, does the Sako action offer the peace of mind that a true Mauser/Mod.70 action gives in a dangerous game scenario, or is it more similar to a Remington 700 push feed? Whatever rifle I get next, I want it to be a true dangerous game rifle, which is why I am looking at the 550 with the AHR #2 upgrade as another option.

From Chuck Hawk, for what its worth:

"To briefly cover the new features of the new Sako 85 action, let's start with controlled-round feeding. We reviewed a Sako 85 Hunter in depth (see the Product Review Page) and found that the Sako 85 version of controlled feed lacks the advantages of a true controlled feed action. This action does not have a full-length extractor on the Mauser 98 pattern. The 85's bolt head mounted extractor is much smaller than the full-length extractors on a Mauser 98 and takes a smaller bite on the case rim. If you close the Sako's bolt about half way (until you hear the next cartridge in the magazine click up, ready to be fed) and then pull the bolt back and try to close it again, it will jam the rifle by attempting to double feed.

A true controlled feed action, in that situation, holds onto the first cartridge until the bolt is completely withdrawn and it is ejected. If the bolt is run forward again while still holding the first cartridge, the extractor keeps it in place and guides it into the chamber, preventing the bolt from attempting to pick-up the second cartridge and preventing a double feed jam.

Nor does the Sako 85 guide a fresh cartridge into the chamber like a controlled feed action. It simply pushes it forward and into the chamber like any push feed action. It is not until about the last 1/4" of forward bolt travel that the Sako's extractor actually gets a firm grip on the case rim. By that time the cartridge is almost all the way into the chamber anyway, so being "controlled" at that late stage is pointless.

On the plus side, the Sako's extractor will easily over-ride the rim of a cartridge fed directly into the chamber, like a normal push feed action. For all practical purposes (except advertising) the Model 85 is a push feed action. Its receiver mounted ejector lets a reloader deposit fired brass neatly to hand by opening the bolt slowly."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.