AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Botswana said on Tuesday that it welcomes the decision by the European Union (EU) Parliament to vote for a ban against hunting trophies entering the bloc.The minister of Environment, Tourism and Wildlife Tshekedi Khama said he had not been officially informed of the planned debate in the EU Parliament to adopt a motion to ban imported wildlife trophies into EU but said he was aware of such reports.

The EU Parliament is expected to vote on 18 April on whether to adopt the motion calling for the ban or not.

“They haven’t informed us officially and we are waiting to hear from them as to what exactly it is that they intend to achieve,” said Khama.

He said what the EU is doing is better than nothing. He observed that the EU has not done enough to help countries affected by poaching over the years.

“They should do more on poaching; for instance like the control of guns that are used by poachers.”

The minister said Botswana has been playing a critical role in anti-poaching in the continent adding that the EU has not done enough to help Botswana or Africa in their anti-poaching programmes.

“I think it is a welcome move; they should go all the way and see how best they can help in anti-poaching. We have never got any help from the EU to stop poaching in Botswana,” said Khama.

Source: http://en.starafrica.com/news/botswana-welcomes-eu-plan-to-ban-trophy-hunting-imports.html

Bad karma from Khama!

Botswana is not a poor country. Why would anyone think the EU is going to solve a problem like poaching withing your own borders?

From the CIA World Factbook: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bc.html
Botswana has maintained one of the world's highest economic growth rates since independence in 1966. Diamond mining has fueled much of the expansion and currently accounts for more than one-third of GDP, 70-80% of export earnings, and about one-third of the government's revenues. Tourism, financial services, subsistence farming, and cattle raising are other key sectors. Through fiscal discipline and sound management, Botswana transformed itself from one of the poorest countries in the world to a middle-income country with a per capita GDP of $17,700 in 2015. Two major investment services rank Botswana as the best credit risk in Africa.

Botswana's heavy reliance on a single luxury export was a critical factor in the sharp economic contraction of 2009, with the industrial sector shrinking by 30%, after the global crisis reduced demand for Botswana's diamonds. According to official government statistics, unemployment reached 17.8% in 2009, but unofficial estimates run much higher. A major international diamond company signed a 10-year deal with Botswana in 2012 to move its rough stone sorting and trading division from London to Gaborone by the end of 2013. The move has supported the development of Botswana's nascent downstream diamond industry.

The economy recovered in 2010, but GDP growth in 2015 reached only a modest 2.3%, in part, because of the continued weak global demand for Botswana’s diamonds. Water and power shortages also obstructed Botswana’s economic growth. In October 2015 President Ian KHAMA announced a stimulus plan to boost the economy that will use some of Botswana’s foreign exchange reserves on projects in agricultural production, construction, manufacturing, and tourism development.

The prevalence of HIV/AIDS is second highest in the world and threatens Botswana's impressive economic gains. An expected leveling off in diamond production within the next 10-15 years also overshadows long-term prospects.

Because that's how Africa works.

Other people must solve the problems, and then get called colonialists for their efforts.

well i never knew that.......;) and you are so cynical...totally unlike myself of course......:E Big Grin::D Beers:

Of course.....

Living here will make you an old cynical man at a young age.:A Blowup:

I learned something. Did not know that Botswana was that developed!

“They should do more on poaching; for instance like the control of guns that are used by poachers.”

Gun control - the dems over here must love these guys. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross