BOTSWANA: South Africa Trip

What a day! Finished up strong!

I know I keep saying that but I truly can't believe the experiences I keep having. Today was unique, lots of safari style hunting from the Land Cruiser opposed to spot and stalking like we have been doing all week. We start of by covering the perimeter as the sun starts to light the maze of roads. We are specifically targeting big warthogs and a monster impala we have been chasing for a day and a half, he is a once and a lifetime kind of trophy as he is sure to surpass 25". As we approach one of the water holes we see several Kudu cows a young bull and a shooter bull along with a few smaller warthogs and tasebbe. As we continue to drive we spot several groups of Impala but most are female or younger buck with the occasional shooter for most but I have already taken a large one and an extremely old one so I pass. We also spot tons of Steinbok but nothing larger than I have already harvested as he was well over four inches. As we head to a small water hole where a giant warthog had been spotted several times we see him, I am shocked how big he is, looks to be 12"! We stop the cruiser and dismount and I instantly check the wind with a swift kick in the dirt road, it's perfectly in our face. We head into the thick bush to get closer as he is 400 yards away and I am still toasting the 9.3x64 firing a nearly 300 grain bullet so I only feel comfortable out to about 200 with it. We approach slowly and see him feeding closer down the road, we set up and the wind swirls and is hitting my neck, this is bad. He is facing us now alert we are there, I take steady aim from 250 yards and squeeze as I am kneeling to steady my shot, I see the bullet impact right over his back, I pop up and follow him through the thick bush but since may first shot didn't connect I opted not to shot and possibly wounding him with a low probability shot. I am bummed and highly disappointed as it was a huge warthog, just like I had been seeking. We continue to cruise around slowly looking deep into the bush for any movement. We see lots of game such as Kudu, Bushbuck, Imapala, Warthogs, Giraffe, Tasebbe, Eland, Diker, Stienbok and monkeys.

We decide to go back through an area where we had spotted a large group of warthogs earlier and they are back, nearly 1000 yards away down a road. They are feeding with a large group of Sable behind them so I have to be careful of my shot. We sneak for what seems like an hour through the thickest of bush and bump into a large group bedded in a creek bottom, they blow out and take the ones we where targeting with them.

It's about noon so we head back to the T in the road and go the other way this time, a few minutes later we see a heard of Impala and dismount once again. We instantly see the huge Impala ram. He is quartered away about to disappear into the thick bush, I take quick aim behind his last rib which will put the exit on the opposite side mid shoulder and squeeze one off, he drops!, Dead Right There! We are excited and can't believe how big he is once I get him in my hands, it's a true trophy of a lifetime as he will easily clear 25".

We load him up after a few photos and the skinners take him to the skinning shack. We decide to grab a quick breakfast and head out for the evening. That hit the spot and fueled my energy level after all the stalks we did earlier in the morning.

We obviously head straight back to where I missed the huge warthog and we see one running through the bush so I take aim quickly again and squeeze one off as he hits an opening, he drops! We get to him and he is a respectful warthog that will suite my full body lioness mount perfectly. Normally I wouldn't shoot with out knowing just how big it was but I saw 5-6" tusk on a good body and made the quick deacon, I'm glad I did because it looks identical to the one my lioness had killed before I harvested her. Plus it was a phenomenal shot that boasted my confidence after the early miss on the giant warthog.

As we are headed to the skinning shack we decide to check another waterhole and see a big warthog, he sees us and spooks but doesn't burn out as he just walks off, this is a good sign we may be able to get on him. The big problem was there was a few waterbuck that where spooked badly as we entered the bush. There is a large creek bed next to the waterhole so we know that's where the warthogs are headed, unfortunately so are the waterbuck, we expect them to ruin it but we see the hogs cross the creek, the wind is perfect so we continue on. This is where things get entertaining and in a hurry! We stalk a few hundred yards and see them again the have made a small loop for some reason, my PH, Jannie said there he is and points I get on him and kneel for a steady rest as he's 90-100 yards but as I'm kneeling I see him disappearing from my cross hairs I I see he's in a small depression, he starts to trot off so I snap up and squeeze one off as I'm holding oh his shoulder, I know it's a little high so I run towards where he was expecting to have high shouldered or spinner him, I hear him crashing through the brush so I stop and let Jannie catch up as I have covered the 100 yards and am standing where he was when I shot. We hear him crashing still so I know it was high and he's wounded back making for a dangerous situation in the thick bush. I decide to cowboy up and go after him full steam, heading towards the noise. I see him again as he is running off and quickly shoot, connecting again, he rolls and I chamber another round, as I get closer he is down and I put an insurance round dead center in his shoulder, I see he is huge tusk end and huge bodied making for a great trophy! Jannie and I start to celebrate and all of a sudden he stands up, facing me, lucky I had chambered a new round as we are staring face to face a mean 8' separating us, I am waiting for the charge as I know its about to happen, so I take one step to the side and as he charges I shoot him square in the shoulder again, dropping him only three feet from feet, he is done. What a freaking hunt! We celebrate and talk about how exciting it was and how Janine had his rifle on him to and was about to shoot to keep my out of harm only seconds before I took that last shot. That's a great PH as he knew I had it under control and didn't shoot, making this my trophy and my story.

Pure excitement is all I have had since my arrival last week and I don't want to leave but I know my lil girl and wonderful wife will be as excited to see me as I am to see them. It has been a great trip all around with great food and great people. I would like to personally thank Kobus, Mac, Madeline and the rest of the great crew hear at Hunters Creek Safairs as it has truly been the best hunt of my life and one to never be forgotten. The hunting, company, food, and whole expedia nice for my first trip abroad a truly awesome exspeiraince, one to Never to be forgotten. My plane departs Joburg at 6:50 tomorrow night so I am tagged out and ready to begin my long journey home. Which will include a 6 hour stop in Paris, France to take a look at this Eiffel Tower I have heard about.

Until next time good hunting!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Cody, great trip and reporting all along! Thanks, really enjoyed following your hunt.

Here's to hoping you find short lines at the Eiffel Tower. Careful of pickpockets... Another tip is if the line is too long for the elevators, you can take the stairs, might be just the workout a young fellow like you needs between flights. And the entry ticket is cheaper.

My wife and I took the stairs......... on the way down;)

Thanks bob, I know there are lots of typos and it all needs tweeting but everyone gets the idea of the story being told.

Idk if ill see the tower but I'm gunna try, the stairs seem just like what I need after walking 25 miles in a week, lol

How far is it from the airport?

I don't remember exactly but Ann thinks it was about an hour cab ride. We had as much carry ons as we were allowed and did go check those into the place by the connected Hotels, think it was near tne Sheraton? Took us about an hour just to get off the plane and to the cab line. Then the cabby could not get our credit card to work so had to find an ATM to pay her. So figure 2 hours just get to the Tower if you take a cab... then if you don't have tickets you wait in line to buy tickets and the wait in another line to get to the elevators, or a much shorter line to use the stairs. Possibly no line for the stairs. I think too many uncontrollables to do it this way in 6 hours. We had 12 and time to go eat and still lots of time waiting around.... If you are on Air France you have a pretty good chance of it being delayed but don't count on it.

I would suggest you could email a travel agent or someone to line up a car to pick up you and carry ons, take you on a personal quick city tour and stop at the Tower. It was a ridiculous amount to check our bags for a few hours and along with two big cab fares, I would try this.... Maybe Lori can help you out.

I was much more concerned about being stolen from in Paris than in PE. You may be able to just find a car or cab at the airport to hire for 3-4 hours but you are at risk of being ripped off. I would have been happy with the cabby bringing us back from the tower, but not the one taking us there.

Another thought, forget going up the tower and just hire a cab to take you on a 3 hour drive and tour... but get a person you can communicate clearly with. Tell them what you want and get them to bring you right back to the closest place for your gate. Of course you will need to get back through security. Take your carry ons with and don't give an oppertunity to be stolen from. If you get out, ask the cabby to lock up and come with you to explain things... and prevent him from being tempted to drive off with your stuff.

Great job.
Congratulations on your success.
Safe trip home.

Can't believe I only just saw this thread, congrats on an awesome hunt Cody!

Thanks Phil

Glad you enjoyed my report!

I wish it didn't have to end either but I have to go back to the real world, leaving this paradise behind.

Just got in from riding the ranch one last time. Hoping to find another huge warthog, big Diker or a Jackall. We saw two Jackall on the neighbors place and I tried lip sqeekinh them in to no avail. Saw quite a few warthogs but no big boys. Also saw 2 diker, one of which was almost mature

Sitting down about to eat breakfast before the 5 hour truck drive back to Johanasburg where I depart at 6:50pm

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on a great hunt. Thanks for sharing your story and photos.

All the best.

I have to tell you that you have just had an amazing safari. Most of us only kill half as many animals as you did. Some great trophies. Love the big Impala. They are a great animal to hunt. That giraffe looks nice too. Then there is the lion. Good job. Bruce

I have to tell you that you have just had an amazing safari. Most of us only kill half as many animals as you did. Some great trophies. Love the big Impala. They are a great animal to hunt. That giraffe looks nice too. Then there is the lion. Good job. Bruce

My thoughts exactly! I cannot believe the quantity and quality of the animals. Cody found a honey-hole for sure!

Yea and I think he got out there and made it happen as well. Good area, good PH, and a client with the right attitude and ability! Couldn't go wrong. Luck can be manufactured.

Hey Cody,
Great trip report, enjoyed it very much.

Kurt

Thanks guys!

Gathered my my cities permit along with completing my ship and dip info for all 13 animals. We left the ranch at 11:00am and found traffic quickly as they where doing road construction, if you want to call sitting in the shade rolling what looked to be dice working, lol. After 8-10 blockades we made it to the highway and stopped for some fast food at Steers, a local hamburger joint. As we where on the main highway we passed several ranches and saw some kudu, zebra, blue wildebeest and a few other odds n ends, every time we said that would probably be the last african game I saw, bam we would see more. I took this as a sign Africa didn't want me to leave, so we turned that truck around and went back to the ranch! Ok ok I'm lying but dang did it suck to leave. I made it to the airport and managed not to cry upon entering knowing I was leaving the best place on earth I had ever been.

I did a little souvenir shopping for my wife and kiddo and went to find my gate, they where boarding as I approached. I reluctantly walked into the plane as I knew I was about to leave Africa for good but knowing I would be back and be back for a lengthy stay next year eased the pain. I will be spending July 15 - Septmeber 1 at Hunters Creek Safaris, bringing a string of friends and my fishing/hunting customers with me and will also become the US booking agent for them. I will be assisting in the booth at the Dallas Safari Club convention in Dallas this January. Yea I know that's a long time but luckily they took me in as part of the family and it was truly sad to leave everyone and since I have a partnership with one of the owners best friends in the states they trust my judgment and knowledge to get this ranch rolling next season.

The plane ride to Paris was smooth and we didn't crash into the ground so I call it a success. The food was quite good this time with chicken and steamed veggies for dinner shortly after taking off and breakfast an hour before we landed which consist of two crescents with fruit jam, fruit platter and orange juice. I slept most of the time as I am trying to get my sleep schedule back. I was lucky not to have and issues when I landed in RSA as most folks need sleeping pills to get to sleep the first day or two with some having to the whole trip. He'll I was up 30 minutes before my alarm everyday except the day we cracked the bottle of crown open, at least it lasted an hour or so. ;)

I am now in Paris and waiting for my flight to board, only about 4 more hours, lol. With as smooth as things have gone this trip I opted out on seeing the town as I'm sure I'd miss my plane. I'm going to head to the shopping area and grab some souvenirs and a quick breakfast.

On another note..
Kobus and Mack had another from the states hunter fly in a day or so ago for a large hunt, a 50# elephant hit the ground this morning after it charged! I haven't spoken with them for details but will post when I do.

Great report cody it is just amazing the quality of the animals they have in africa.I am looking forward to getting back soon myself just not as quick as you will be.Good luck taking down a buff next trip.

Gotta make the DSC meeting and meet you and a bunch of the other guys on here!

Taking off in ATL, Dallas is my last stop!

Long day of travel but excited to see my wife and lil one.

Congrats Cody! just saw this thread and couldn't stop reading Outstanding hunt and report Loved the Pics. I think your PH retired after you left LOL. Fantastic report glad you shared it. btw What did the wife think of it is she going back with you next time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross