BOTSWANA: South Africa Trip

You are killing me with this report. And now I have to get back to work, ugh!

Great start. You do not waste time!

Good morning gents

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
oh look ,another shitty day in paradise.........

I hope you dont have as much fun today as you did yesterday you will be Buggered !
Keep it up , great report .

Morning 3 Update

What a morning boys! Woke up an hour before my alarm was set to go off so I knew the african gods had something in store, boy was I right. After a two mile stalk we finally found my Giraffe, after he buggered several times I was able to deliver a devastating shot with the 9.3X64 from about 50 years away. He immediately went down where we rushed over and I delivered two shots from the front with the .416. we where able to get the harvest on film and makes for great footage of a spectacular hunt on a wonderful animal.

We are in for the afternoon as it has become unseasonably warm and the animals are hunkered down, we are going to do our first sit at a waterhole this evening as we still lack the kudu, waterbuck, oryx and warthog.

We saw 2 large Kudu this morning but they saw us first. We also spotted a few Steinbeck, one of which was well above his ear but because we knew the giraffe was around we passed so we did not effect our primary goal. We found 1 larger group of gemsbok at a waterhole but they where younger bulls and cows, a few cows where quite nice but they are all full of calves so we are not wanting to take a cow but we have decided if another big cow presents a shot we are going to take her.

image.jpg
image.jpg

theres something special about hunting a giraffe ,I never realised it until l walked into one with my wife at the end of last month .
congratulations kody ......

congrats. sounds like you did well

Oh man, beast of a warty. Like the giraffe too!

Quite the first safari!

that swines got some character about him , cody.
aren't girraffes the easiest animal on the planet to cape ?
except for the rolling them over bit ........

It took a tractor and front end loader, took the skinners around 6-7 hours to skin, quater and clean

Then they had to skull the warthog and two other. animals you will soon read about

Cody,
Why the multiples on Impala and wart hogs? Surely there must be some other low cost but fun critters available.

In any case... congratulations on the great luck getting there. You are off to a great start! Such a possitive outlook is going to really make for a great time for you and the people around you.

You can never hunt too many warthogs, Bob, I have six and still plan to hunt more :D

Doing fine so far, Cody, keep it up (y)

I like the color of that giraffe !

What an evening!!! Pulled up to our water hole and we instantly see two Cape buffalo drinking with a few oryx. We had planned on sitting here and still hunting all evening as we still needed an oryx, kudu and waterbuck.

We obviously where not going to sit there with Black Death that close around as we didn't get want to get dead, lol

We see a big male oryx behind the buffalo and make a shot through the brush, all I have is a neck shot because it is super thick, I dropped him in his tracks but buffalo went 5 yards and stopped, extremely pissed. We now have a dead animal between us and the buffalo and they are not happy. Mack gets out and they instantly mock charge, two more steps and they will be coming to kill him. I have the. 9.3X64 on the buffalo ready to shoot if need be. We all get out after he takes two steps back and slowly approach the downed oryx. The buffalo are watching 40 yards that in the brush and I have yet to look at my Oryx because lives are at stake, so I keep the rifle on them, ready to deliver the kill shot as the buffalo ready to kill us it if it charges. While retrieving I am on the gun shouldered and ready, they disappear so we thing they are circling coming down wind to decide the treat level and charge if needed so I am turned watching our back. We get it retrieved without incident and take it a few miles away for safety. It's a great bull with great mass. We take photos and the skinners take him to camp to skin.

We are off to another water hole for kudu or waterbuck. We pull up and two nice waterbuck are at the hole but three hundred years away, I set up for a shot, holding a few inches over it's back and shoulder but they spook. We stalk in with no signs and set up behind a brush blind. Ten minutes later we get a call that there are two nice kudu that the scouts have found and Mack is on the way to get us. He arrives and we speed to the hole. We arrive and they are still but a long ways away, they quickly discuss which is bigger and decide the right is a monster, I set up in an awkward position with 250 yards between us, I and squeeze one off, I see it hit the ground behind it and don't hear whack so I reloaded waiting for it to stop running towards the brush, it never slows down into the brush, luckily for me they know the land so we rush to cut him off. Here he comes but is super thick which is what kudu like so it starts feeling comfortable after a few minutes but we can barely see it it so thick. I see a front leg and he stops, I Say I'm taking him, follow the leg up approximately where his shoulder blade is and squeeze on off, he falls DRT!! We take some great photos and head in early as I have had an epic day and we are ready to relax while drinking a few cocktails, crown and coke, a famous Texas wicket.

We have had a few so if my grammar is off I'm sorry, lol

Enjoying every minute, TIA BOYS (this is Africa)!!!!

Here we go, photos to. Feed your addiction

Kudu was 56", on e in a lifetime trophy for the Texas bot!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I am speechless! You are hitting it out of the park!

That Black Kudu looks like it could be some fun. :)

Congratulations on your AWESOME safari thus far! The report is wonderful and keeping me glued to this forum. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg