Botswana sanctuary owner killed by elephant

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Botswana sanctuary owner killed by elephant

Doug Groves of Living with Elephants Foundation in Botswana was killed on Friday by a wild elephant in the Okavango Delta.

Owner of the Living with Elephants Foundation in Botswana, Douglas Groves was killed by a wild elephant in the Okavango Delta on Friday, August 28.

‘I am devastated to inform you that our beloved Doug Groves, passed away on Friday,’ his wife Sandi Groves wrote on Facebook. ‘While Doug was out in the bush it appears that he was killed by a wild elephant. I would like to express my deep gratitude to everyone who is helping and giving support during this very difficult time.’

The exact circumstances of his death are not clear.

Read more here: https://www.getaway.co.za/travel-news/botswana-sanctuary-owner-killed-by-elephant/

So, if this is your life's work, are you happy about going out like this or pissed that it finally bit you / ironic. I am sure his loved ones feel differently than he would have before it was too late.

Thanks for sharing!

you can trust certain animals that can kill you to much.

Yeah I'm not sure if it's iconic or sad. Definitely sad for the man's family and friends but he was playing with fire.

Yep very sad and I feel bad for the family! People like that are very dedicated to animals and are driven in that cause. Almost predictable a percentage will become victims of their own kindness.

When I first read the headline I thought it was one of the "eco-safari" operators who has exploited the Delta's wildlife especially the elephants with stupid antics designed for the more adventurous touristas by riding into elephant herds on horseback to solicit a charge then running away. But apparently and unfortunately not one of those.

Reactions: WAB
Very sad, but highly predictable. You will have also heard last week of the lion mauling his keeper to death whilst on a walk, like many walks before, but this time different. It is the wild gene, you cant suppress it. By way of illustration, I always bring back elephant dung to scatter about the yard, brings in the birds and insects and that glorious aroma too. Well Ruben the bengal goes nuts for it, rubs, rolls, and after a dose woe betide the other cats because re reverts to a semi-wild state, aggressive as hell. Like a switch. So maybe all wild animals have such a thing?
819EE022-6684-41DA-93E2-28679C5028F3.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!