Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
How do you create a poacher?
Don't issue licences, even though the highest court ruled you have to.

The CKGR was created for the San years ago. Now, Diamonds.....

Sadly history is repeating itself.

Botswana: Bushmen Beaten, Suffocated and Buried Alive for Killing an Antelope

13 DECEMBER 2012
Nkemetse Motsoko and Kebonyeng Kepese were arrested near the community of Gope in the CKGR after killing an eland (a large antelope).

The two men were successful applicants in a landmark court case exactly six years ago that recognized the Bushmen's right to live, and hunt, on their ancestral land.

However, since the Bushmen won the case, Botswana's government has made the tribe's life impossible, by unlawfully refusing to issue a single hunting permit.

One of the men, Nkemetse Motsoko, reportedly passed out after police held his throat and suffocated him, before throwing him into a hole and covering him in sand.

The interrogation of the second man, Kebonyeng Kepese, was less violent after he admitted killing the animal, but both men were badly beaten and held for three days.

A judge in Molepolole has fined them US$190 each, an enormous sum for the impoverished Bushmen.

The men have been bailed until February, but face an eight-month prison sentence if they fail to pay the fine. Their violent arrest is not an isolated case.

Reports of intimidation, searches and harassment are growing in the CKGR, particularly around Gope, where there are two paramilitary police camps.

Four Bushmen were arrested in July for hunting, and one of the leaders of Gope community, where Gem Diamonds mine is located, was arrested in September.

Without the ability to hunt, the Bushmen have no means of feeding their families.

One Bushman said to Survival, 糎e depend on the natural resources of the CKGR for our food. How are we expected to survive if we cannot hunt?

Survival's Director Stephen Corry said today, 禅he Botswana government has always treated the Bushmen with racist contempt, but after the court rulings it seemed like the persecution had eased off. Now, once again, harassment and oppression are becoming the norm for CKGR residents. The government's previous persecution of the Bushmen did enormous damage to Botswana's reputation do they really want the international campaign to start up again?

Good post Brick. It's not one world out there. Eye-opening. Once again a government without a clue.

Usually, there is money involved when things like this appear. Was this on public or private land? Are there a link to the upcoming hunting ban?
Do someone know if some specific ecotour operator doing business in the area? Or is it just old fashion racism?

Thanks Brick for posting this gives us all something to think about, whether a Bushman or just a hunter I feel all sould have the right to hunt to feed there family.

sickening/corupt/injustice, (I guess no more than any other government, just more violent) as it may be, this is the ugly part of Africa that WE choose to ignore. We choose instead to look at the beauty of this great landmass and the animals within its oceanic borders, called Africa. After joining this forum, and reading/watching/gathering a lot more info on how these countries run, I have to admit that I was ignorant about the safety of my family when we went. Don't get me wrong I will continue to take them, but, more aware, that's all.

Usually, there is money involved when things like this appear. Was this on public or private land? Are there a link to the upcoming hunting ban?
Do someone know if some specific ecotour operator doing business in the area? Or is it just old fashion racism?

CKGR was actually originally set aside solely for the San to live.
This move is just a continuation of the governments general policy of exploitation.
Several years back the current government decided "it was more efficient" to provide services to the San if they were localized.
Meaning, moved the San unwillingly off the CKGR.
They also chased them away and refused access to water points after the government lost the court case.

The $: The fact that Diamonds and a bunch of new operators is just the development plan in action.
Racism is likely just an added feature.

You can research this issue. Sadly, It has been going on for a while.

If you see cave paintings the San used to live there.

Brickburn, good eye opener post, it is invariably always about the money. Here in the DRC the Army and the police get paid to "protect" mines and other resources, hence creating small fiefdoms within the country controlled by companies, unfortunately it is the locals who pay the price as hunting is considered to be taking away someone's resources. It is sad to watch these police forces who should be saying how can i better my country, actually adopt the mantra of what can i gain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross