Botswana Reopens Hunting

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by AfricaHunting.com, May 22, 2019.

1. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com AH ENABLER FOUNDER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    The government of Botswana announced today that it will reopen hunting after a five-year suspension in big game hunting areas in that Southern African nation. A news conference to discuss details is set for tomorrow.

"The ministry of Environment, Natural Resources Conservation and Tourism wishes to inform the public that following extensive consultations with all stakeholders, the Government of Botswana has taken a decision to lift the hunting suspension," officials announced in an invitation to the media for the upcoming news conference.

"This is outstanding news," exclaimed SCI President Paul Babaz. "It is heartening to see that the government of Botswana has taken all aspects into its careful consideration of this matter. We salute the officials in Botswana for their wise decision."

"These findings clearly show that hunting bans actually hurt wildlife conservation; hunting is the key to providing the necessary revenue to fund anti-poaching efforts and on-the-ground conservation research," SCI President Babaz continued. "This is just one more example of how hunters are the real champions of wildlife conservation and groups like HSUS and PETA simply raise money to line their own pockets instead of joining the real conservationists... hunters!"

In June 2018, Botswana's government began reviewing the hunting suspension.

"The process involved a nationwide process including holding Kgotla meetings and consulting with Local Authorities, affected communities, NGO's, tourism businesses, conservationists, researchers and other stakeholders," the government explained.

"The fundamental issue that emerged was the appreciation by citizens that they were being consulted," the government continued, "This was seen as necessary for building on the national principles of: Democracy, Development, Self-reliance, Unity and Botho (social harmony)."

The government's findings included:
    • The number and high levels of human-animal conflict and the consequent impact on livelihood was increasing
    • Predators appear to have increased and were causing a lot of damage as they kill livestock in large numbers
    • There is a negative impact of the hunting suspension on livelihoods, particularly for community-based organizations that were previously benefitting from consumptive utilization
    • The lack of capacity within the Department of Wildlife and National Parks leads to long response time to problem animal control reports
    • The general consensus from those consulted was that the hunting ban should be lifted.
    "On the basis of these issues, the Government has reflected and assessed the recommendations, and lifted the suspension," the government announced.

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

Timbo, Velo Dog, rinehart0050 and 9 others like this.

2. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Be interesting to see how it gets re started, and what species may still be off limits. This was a good place for Zambezi sitatunga but it was closed to them not long after I got mine there in 1990, and before the general closure. Hopefully the numbers have recovered. Botswana is a most interesting place to hunt, and I still consider my nearly 3 weeks there in a tented camp near the delta as a highlight of my life.

Timbo, gizmo, johnnyblues and 5 others like this.

3. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand
    Sensational news, great to see in this day and age logic and reasoning can still win out over emotion.

Timbo and Ridgewalker like this.

4. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    This is one time when SCI and I agree completely - "Outstanding".

5. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    Glad to hear it. Hopefully, the previous outfitters will be able to restart their operations.

Ridgewalker likes this.

6. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    First good news I've seen in the last two weeks....................................Maybe Botswana will save its wildlife after all....FWB

8 x 60 likes this.

7. Mort Hill

Mort Hill GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    SA, Zambia, Tanzania
    Plans to book already to go!

8. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    This is good news.

sierraone likes this.

9. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    Anxious to learn more about the hunting once the outfitters take root and start advertising!

10. WAB

WAB AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    It appears that it will reopen in communal areas first for elephant only. Hopefully it will move to concessions and other species from there.

Timbo likes this.

11. WAB

WAB AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
  12. MarkCZ

MarkCZ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Scotland , England, Namibia
    happy days, common sence all round.
    Markcz

13. Tromberg Hunting Safaris

Tromberg Hunting Safaris SPONSOR Since 2019 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SOAZ
    Being on our western border we are seeing massive increase in migrations of elephant from Botswana into Zimbabwe. The problem of the over-population of elephant needs to be addressed before it begins to effect our other species too.

ActionBob likes this.

14. Argali

Argali AH Member

Member of:
    sci
    Happy to see Reopening. Very lovely country. I had been there couple times. Lots of elephants, buffalo, Leopard, Lion, Hippo, Gamsbuk, Kudu, Wild dog, Hyaena.... Dreaming to back. Strongly hope that BW government is demonstrating a success hunting_based wildlife management project to fight back the antis

ActionBob likes this.

15. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    It will be interesting to see pricing.

And I assume USFWS will allow imports of elephant trophies on an individual basis, based on enhancement findings? Which I assume are near impossible to deny at this point;)

I just hope someone is informing Trump of the realities of the overpopulation of elephants there before he "Trumps" imports with a late night tweet.

BobT, rinehart0050, gizmo and 2 others like this.

16. Uintaelkhunter

Uintaelkhunter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    RSA,Mozambique,Zim,USA,Asia
    Will defiantly be keeping my eye on what will happen and pricing. A Botswana jumbo hunt has always been a dream and would love a bull pushing over the 70# mark. It will also be interesting to see what the USA fish and game do for the import permits. I feel after elections in 2020 things will open back up a bit. If we keep the current administration. Also feel that if Botswana stays open it will help with imports for neighboring countries imports like Namibia and Zambia to import and possibly Zimbabwe as well.
    I feel really lucky to probably be one of the last guys to get a elephant imported into the USA before they stopped the permits. Also feel a lot of it had to do with how well my paperwork was and the outfitter as to how well they keep there bookkeeping. A big thanks to a Ndumo and karl for that and Namibia. But I’m still looking for that once in a lifetime bull that is still wandering the Bush.

ActionBob and elephantmaster29 like this.

17. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    It was always on the upper edges of pricing. Even in 1990, my full bag hunt was $750 a day! Back then you paid a license fee up front on each critter, but no trophy fee if unsuccessful.

18. IvW

IvW AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    I told you so......;):LOL:

ActionBob and JPbowhunter like this.

19. Bruce

Bruce AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
    Yebbo...knew it had to happen!!
    Need to get myself back into Botswana for a hunt...

ActionBob likes this.

20. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    From reading the press conference it says all previously huntable species Inc lion and leopard will available

BobT, gizmo and ActionBob like this.