Botswana -President Khama Says Country Will Work With International Community On Conservation

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
full

Botswana: Khama Celebrates 35 Years of Kalahari Conservation Society

Gaborone — Botswana is committed to working with the international community to combat wildlife crime by providing leadership to the Illegal Wildlife Trade global negotiations that emphasises the need for wildlife crime to be treated as a serious crime in line with the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organised Crime, says President Lt Gen. Dr Seretse Khama Ian Khama.

Celebrating the success story of Kalahari Conservation Society (KCS) and 35 years of its existence at a gala dinner on Novembber 3, President Khama, who is also the patron of the organisation, raised concern over the recent upsurge in the illegal off-take of elephants and rhinos and other species stating that the number of elephants poached remained high.

He said Botswana’s tourism was heavily reliant on wildlife and wildlife crime had the potential to undermine its economy.

“The future of the environment and the planet we live on is in our hands, we do not have any divine right to determine which animal or plant species must survive. We must avoid looking at our biodiversity purely in terms of monetary value. For me the commonly used phrase by other people in conservation that “if it pays then it stays,” he added.

President Khama also stated that wildlife crime had become complex to the extent that some of the proceeds from poaching excursions find their way into money laundering schemes, organised crime and even financing terrorism.

He therefore, he reiterated that it was an honour to have worked with an organisation that had lived up to its founding principles and yet continued to be relevant in the present day.

The President further said KCS was the longest running environmental non-governmental organisation in Botswana and that alone worth celebrating because the organisation owed its success story to its founding principles which were, the need to conserve Botswana’s wildlife and eco-systems they depend on for the prosperity of all citizens.

He thanked all those who pioneered the society as their efforts had contributed to the country’s conservation successes.

President Khama paid homage to Dr Gaositwe Chiepe for her continued efforts towards the conservation drive, Mr Neo Moroka, the board chairperson as well as KCS chief executive officer and Mr Neil Fitt for their ‘sterling efforts’ in ensuring that the organisation stayed the course and achieved objectives set in this regard.

“For me this is the crop of people who understood the need for the country to protect its natural resource base and my dream is to see, particularly the new generation, take up the challenge and become champions of our environment,” he added.

In is welcome remarks, Mr Moroka explained that KCS was formed to fight among others poaching.

Mr Moroka said as time goes on, the poaching increased and became complex because poachers formed syndicates and poaching became a commercial business across the borders.

He said government and stakeholders had to come with interventions to address these problem hence the formation of KCS in 1980s adding that Botswana had a success story to tell in the protection and preservation of its wildlife.

Again, he said government received an overwhelming support from various stakeholders saying Botswana’s success story was based on sound leadership coupled with good policies and programmes.

“Every resident of this country must make sure that our natural resources are used wisely to benefit our future generation,” Mr Moroka said.

Source: https://africasustainableconservati...ith-international-co9mmunity-on-conservation/

Botswana needs to bring back sound hunting practices if they want to ensure wildlife for the future. Hunting dollars are badly needed I am sure.

Botswana needs to bring back sound hunting practices if they want to ensure wildlife for the future. Hunting dollars are badly needed I am sure.

Plus 1

Photo safaris alone can't provide the needed support for conservation!

Easy dollars may lead to issues. Certainly with the influence from Bejing.

Namibia's program of Community Bases Natural Resource Management is pretty impressive and covers huge areas and hosts of groups.
At least the San in the Nyae Nyae actually get some money from the hunting quota.
I wish more countries would follow their lead.

http://www.met.gov.na/files/files/CBNRM_20Policy Approved.pdf

Attachments

• CBNRM_20Policy Approved.pdf
    518.8 KB · Views: 231

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg