BOTSWANA: Papa & Tori's Adventure At Kanana

Last Day in Camp

Last day in Camp

JP had a treat in store for Tori, as we were done hunting, JP took Tori and I to a reserve about an hour from camp that had Lions. As we arrived at the reserve, we were the only one's there and JP lead us to an enclosure with 3 lions cubs in it, opened the door and we walked into the lion enclosure. Tori was allowed to pet the lions, and these were not real little lions when one she was petting grabbed her hand it its mouth Grandpa about had a heart attack. I could just see me having to face Tori's Mom, the lion did not bite down hard and no blood was drawn, I told Tori that the story sounded better if she just said a lion bit her while she was in Botswana; she would be the talk of high school and Facebook.

wild dog (1280x720).jpgtori with cubs (958x958).jpg Botswana Lion  (1280x823).jpg

Thoughts
The choice of the 300 Ultra proved to be a great one for us. Tori shot her Gemsbok and Eland with one shots kills, my Zebra, Kudu and Eland took a total of 4 shots, and none of our animals required any tracking after the shot. My two missed shot where one at 480 yards, the other miss was offhand at a Jackal, first seemed to hit fur but he didn't go down, follow up shot went over its back and it stopped one more time (we think it was sick) and the third shot put it away. Lots of practice made all the difference in confidence for me shooting off the sticks.

Gracy Travel and British Airways were also great choices for us flying out of Phoenix. The 747 s and 777 were very comfortable compared to the air bus flight of SAA, food is a lot better.

Kanana is spectacular, Tori did not want to leave, that is quite a testimonial from a 14 years old girl, and speaks volumes about the place, the people and the experience we had.

I went with high hopes for an unforgettable trip with my granddaughter; it was that and much more. A very successful hunting trip. A great introduction to traveling the world and hunting for Tori, lessons in other cultures, and experiencing nature as a non- hunter seldom does.
Special thanks to JP, Will and Morlan and the entire Kanana crew.

was wondering about mr lucky ,or not so lucky
another ghoulie chewer.
im a big believer in each to there own
but when theres so much meat on an animal like an eland (l would guess 270 kgs of tasty flesh )
l cant think of anything but WHY?:laughing:
but hey I respect that
the girl certainly sounds like a great young shot
did Will look confused when rum gave him the full boot?
I never even fired mine until it had been braked.
sounds as though tori and your self had some fun out there at kanana with your new mates and took some great animals on many memorable hunts .
thank you for sharing your memories with us
:clap::clap::clap:
Did you keep the piece of horn out of not so luckies neck?

both your kudu and eland are crackers Arizona.
what did the zebra taste like?
bagged out with half a day to go

Zebra tastes like - more like beef than horse. JP prepared a part of the back strap that was very tasty.

was wondering about mr lucky ,or not so lucky
another ghoulie chewer.
im a big believer in each to there own
but when theres so much meat on an animal like an eland (l would guess 270 kgs of tasty flesh )
l cant think of anything but WHY?
but hey I respect that
the girl certainly sounds like a great young shot
did Will look confused when rum gave him the full boot?
I never even fired mine until it had been braked.
sounds as though tori and your self had some fun out there at kanana with your new mates and took some great animals on many memorable hunts .
thank you for sharing your memories with us

Bluey, yes Will ( an English Rugby player) was suitably smacked by the RUM on that shot, got his attention for sure.
Thanks again for the kind words, I have already passed on your congregations to Tori this morning.

Day Four:
Eland/Kudu were on the list, and after a few hours a nice Kudu was spotted, and a stalk was started, and this proved to be my shortest stalk of about 20 minutes, the Kudu was about 90 yards away, only presented the top half of his back for the shot as there was heavy bush just in front of him, I found a spot in the brush still a little higher than I like but the 180 grain Swift sirocco went thru the lungs and exited, he went only about 10 yards and he was done.
Kudu View attachment 22296View attachment 22297 Kalahari Bush

The afternoon was still open but very hot, so we decided to take a PSE crossbow out to a waterhole that afternoon, during the practice session with myself, Tori, JP and Will all shooting practice shots as a target before we went out, Tori again proved she could shoot anything, then the smack talk started between Tori and Will as to who was the best shot, after a lot of good natured banter and prodding Will agreed to have a shooting contest with Tori after we were done hunting. They would use the 300 Ultra Mag.
We found nothing to shoot with the crossbow but had a great time none the less. Crossbow at waterhole View attachment 22298

JP and Will had an exercise in primitive weapon making and the rock sling was a success, however, proficiency was highly lacking. No animals or birds were hurt or even scared during the rock launching :small:
View attachment 22299

Wish you could have got that rock throwing on video. Great report Congrats to you and your Granddaughter! Awesome

Fantastic Report arizona and great pics. Congrats to you both.

Congrats for a great family hunt you will both remember forever !

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing your time in Africa with us!

John awesome I am so glad that your second trip was a great experience and that Tori enjoyed it so much as well

See you in January and as always...........

Only my best

John awesome I am so glad that your second trip was a great experience and that Tori enjoyed it so much as well

See you in January and as always...........

Only my best

Jaco, thanks, I am looking forward to seeing you in January.

Memories of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the write up, Sounds like you guys both had a great time and we have yet another female hunter among the ranks.

I'm glad you took Tori with you! Awesome hunt and some great memories and pictures!

Excellent hunting

Brave granddad for letting Tori play with the lions. They don't look that small.

Enjoyed spending time with you in camp. Hope we run into each other soon.

Mike

Excellent hunting

Brave granddad for letting Tori play with the lions. They don't look that small.

Mike

Welcome to AH Mike! we would love to read and see the pics from your hunt as well.

Excellent hunting

Mike

Mike, thanks, I don't know if brave is the right word, but then again you are the one that was playing tag with a deranged Wildebeest. :scared::shooting::huntingrifle:

welcome to the forum.

John

Thank you very much for sharing! Excellent trophies and sounds like even better memories for the both of you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg