AH senior member
Sep 16, 2023
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA, Mexico, South Africa
We returned a week ago and I am still processing and taking in what my son and I accomplished during this hunt as I believe it should take at least 5 safaris to acquire the quality of trophies we did in 8 days. The moon, stars and weather were all in perfect alignment, and I am extremely humbled in writing this report. I would also like to mention, my son who is 22 years old, paid his own way on this trip.

I would like to thank Matt and the crew at Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels, Texas for building my 7mm PRC for this trip and also for changing out the stock on my 30-06 to one of their carbon rifleman stocks to lighten the load which they did the week before we left. As with all rifles they build, they are more accurate than the shooter and perform flawlessly. I have been dealing with Matt for over 25 years and there is none better in my opinion.

Also, Thank You to Mathew Egan, the US Rep for @NKWE SAFARIS for working around our schedule. It has been a pleasure working with you.


We would all hunt together this morning and started the day by checking zero on the rifles. We would be hunting the main camp property this day which is 74,130 Acres. We saw several different species of animals including a 53” Kudu Bull that we passed. Attempted a stalk on Gemsbok which outsmarted us and tracked a heard of Eland for around 2 miles and could not catch up to them.

Making our way back to camp just before lunch a lone Impala Ram walked across the road about 150 yards in front of us. The body size of this Impala was incredible, to the point I wasn’t sure it was an impala at first, but Jaco immediately identified it as a big one. Off we went for a short stalk to about 80 yards away. Jaco set up the sticks and I immediately took the shot as he had just noticed us and looked to be ready to take off. The blood trail was impressive as I had hit him directly in the shoulder and we found him about 100 yards later. He measured a little over 25” with over 6” bases. It took 4 people to load this impala in the truck with Jaco saying this might be the biggest bodied impala he has ever seen.


Zach would go with Quentin, and I would go with Jaco. We saw many animals and at about 5pm the trackers sitting in the top row of the high rack spotted a herd of Eland about 400 yards away and the Eland had not seen us. We dismounted and started the stalk. Jaco maneuvered us within 80 yards or so of the herd and spotted a big bull at the back of the herd about 150 yards from us. He set up the sticks and walked me through which one he was. He was on the edge of an opening with a cow in front of him. About the time I acquired him, they started moving into the brush with the cow going first which gave me about 3 seconds to get the crosshair on him. As his should disappeared I squeezed the trigger and the resulting Whop report of the bullet hitting his body sounded good, or so we thought. We tracked the heard until dark for about 2 miles and never found any blood. This was one of those situations where you take the shot or don’t and try to move with the herd to get a better shot opportunity. In hindsight, I should have opted for the later.

Zach and Quentin tracked zebra for over a mile and when they finally caught up with them it was too dark to shoot.


Zach, Quentin and I would be hunting another property in the Ghanzi area that is 133,434 Acres. Once arriving, we re-checked the rifles and not 10 minutes later I had a big kudu bull in the crosshairs. This bull was definitely north of 58” and possibly 60”. He was traveling with several kudu cows. Each time he stopped he had his back end to me or had a cow in between us. He soon headed in the brush. We were able to locate him a few minutes later as he ran in front of us about 80 yards away but did not present a shot.

About 30 minutes later we passed by a waterhole that had wildebeest, warthog, impala and gemsbok running in all directions. A few hundred yards past the waterhole the trackers spotted a couple Kudu bulls about 500 yards away that had everyone looking in that direction. When everyone in the truck is looking one direction, I tend to look the other (fyi, this tactic will be relevant later in the story). Low and behold, a huge bull jumped out of his bed some 30 yards from us and took off. This bull was the same caliber as the first bull we saw. We got out and tried to locate him to no avail.

About an hour later we located three more big bulls with several cows and tried to stalk them, but they had other ideas and got away.

About an hour after that we came across another waterhole and another huge Kudu Bull took off. We got out and tried to locate him to never see him again, but we did run across this 8’ cobra about 1 minute into the stalk.

Luckily, he had been dead for a few days. It was almost noon now and we had seen 10 kudu bulls over 55” with 4 of them being 57” plus conservatively. We would sit at a waterhole in a bow blind while we ate lunch. About 30 minutes later a group of wildebeest came in along with an ostrich. Zach was able to take a great Blue Wildebeest Bull.


After loading the Wildebeest in the truck, Quentin dropped me and one of the trackers off at the water hole we had seen the most recent big kudu at while he and Zach would take the wildebeest back to the skinning shed.

While waiting at the waterhole I saw a few Waterbuck cows and a one horned bull that stuck around for a good 30 minutes. A few hours went by, and I finally got ahold of Zach on the phone to let them know I was ready to which they said they would be there in 20 minutes. This turned into 1 hour and 20 minutes. During this time, I was not able to reach them on the phone nor the tracker on the radio.

Finally, we heard the truck coming and I found out what took them so long. They had run across a very wide Kudu Bull, which is what Zach was looking for. They were able to make the stalk and Quentin had to set the sticks very low so Zach could make the shot under the branches. He taped out at 54”.
Zach Kudu 1.JPG

When the arrived they also told me they ran across several Waterbuck Bulls about 600 yards back, so off we went to find them. It didn’t take very long, and I was able to take this beautiful 28” Waterbuck.

Waterbuck 1.JPG

With it being 4:45pm, we immediately headed to the area where we had tried to stalk the three big Kudu Bulls earlier. About 30 minutes after getting in the area we spotted them about 150 yards off the road. They moved parallel with us and led us to the biggest of the three standing 80 yards from us. I took an off hand shot and missed. The bull and cow he was with ran out to about 200 yards and stopped behind a few trees. We got out of the truck and pursued them. A few minutes later we spotted them, Quentin put the sticks up and he was facing away from me with branches in the way. They soon noticed we were there, took off over the hill and so did we. About 15 minutes later Quentin spotted him and threw up the sticks, but by the time I got the gun on him he took off again. We pursued this bull for about 2 ½ miles and finally caught up to him at last light and I took another shot at 300 yards or so. I was breathing very heavily by this time, the sticks were sinking in the sand and I flat out missed him again. At this point I am convinced I have a Kudu curse and I now have blisters on my feet to go along with it. My legs and feet swelled up on the plane which made by boots too tight.

Jaco joined us back at camp after dinner and we had a few drinks. We would be going after Sable the next day which was going to be a very long drive and he asked if we wanted to do it “The Botswana Way”. Well, after just a few more drinks, I called his bluff and the next thing you know we were loading up the truck and off we went. It was a little after midnight now and I will leave the events from this time until 2:45am out of the story, but it was fun. The place we had hunted today was about halfway to the place we were going, so we headed there, built a fire and caught a few hours of sleep, or everyone else did but me. I stayed up all night keeping the fire going and I did not mind doing so as it was in the mid 30’s F.


I woke everyone up at 6:30am and it took some people a little longer to get up than others. We were off by 7am for the 1-hour drive to the new place which was 79,000 acres in pursuit of Sable. We met the ranch manager’s wife who made us coffee and soon the ranch manager made it back to the house. Both are just wonderful people. He manages the cattle on this ranch and it was nice visiting with him about that. He went with us to locate one in particular Sable bull. We saw several bulls and around 40 cows/calves and then, there he was. This Sable was absolutely incredible, even Jaco was excited. We made a couple hundred-yard stalk to a rock outcropping that I would lay across and get on him. We had to watch him walk across the skyline as they were on a hill, and we were below.

Sable Skyline.jpg

The cows had spotted us, but we were about 200 yards away and he had not spotted us yet. He finally cleared most of the cows with two cows right in front of him. This made me very nervous as the wind was blowing at least 20mph left to right with him facing down wind and the cows in front of him I held a few inches left and took the shot.
Sable Shot.jpg

I hit him exactly where I was aiming except a couple inches high due to the upward angle. They all took off over the hill and we pursued very quickly. As we got to the top of the hill and looked over, the herd had stopped and were again about 200 yards away. Jaco set up his sticks and I was on him, but there were cows behind him. Jaco grabbed the sticks, and we moved left about 30 yards to get a better angle and the sticks went up again. I got on him, Jaco gave me a place to put my elbow and I took the shot hitting him directly in the shoulder, breaking it. He reared up, spun around in a circle and collapsed. There was a brief celebration and as we walked up to this magnificent animal it soon got very quiet. We were in awe, including Jaco. I don’t think we even touched him for 5 minutes or so. We just sat about 10 yards away just mesmerized and taking in the moment. I think we were more astonished by the mass than the length and that is saying something. Jaco and I finally put our hands on him. With Jaco doing his hand measuring technique he quickly asked Quentin to get the tape. He measured over 47” with 11” bases. I already knew how special this animal was and Jaco put the explanation point on it by saying in 26 years as a PH this is the biggest Sable he had ever been a part of. To top it all off, this is a self-sustained herd roaming free on 79,000 acres.
Sable a.JPG


We took him to the school so Jaco’s son Bertie could see him. Bertie will be the next generation of Visser PH’s in a few years and is a very well respecting young man. Bertie was blown away.


I decided to take the evening off as I my feet were killing me, and I just didn’t want to shoot anything else this day as to reflect on what I had just done. I honestly felt like it would be disrespectful to this Sable, to shoot another animal the same day.

Zach and Quentin went in search of Gemsbok and Zebra. They made several stalks but were not able to get into position for a shot.


Jaco and I would go next door to his cousins’ cattle farm which is 86,485 acres low fenced. Zach and Quentin would take up their search for Zebra and Gemsbok on the main lodge property. Both properties have very tall trees and thick vegetation. You can see along way down the road and here or there you can see a couple hundred yards into the brush but for the most part you can only see 50 yards or so. It was very cold this morning, around 32 F with the wind blowing 25-30 mph so I was glad to have these trees and brush to help block the wind. By 9am we had seen 35 kudu or so with one bull around 55”. At 9:30 we got out to walk into an opening in the brush about 400 yards off the main road where a cattle corral and water trough is located. No animals were sighted during this walk. We got back in the truck and headed down the road towards another set of cattle corrals and water trough. These cattle corrals are not pipe but are regular fence wire. As we got about 300 yards out Jaco tells the driver to stop as he spotted movement in the corral. He quickly tells me to get out and we headed the rest of the way on foot next to the five foot cattle fence.

At about 200 yards Jaco sets up the sticks and tells me to get ready. The big bull had already walked out of our site to the water trough. The stick must be high to clear the fence we are standing next to and then I have to find a shot between the wires of the cattle fence. I am on my tippy toes and trying to build sand up with my feet to get higher and steadier. Three bulls and a few cows walk back into view from the water trough and then Jaco says there he is. We only get a side view of the bull as he walks back into view for about 5 seconds and there is no shot. Jaco grabs the sticks, and we close the distance as they are out of sight and there is also a slight rise in the road where we can get about 18” higher. We get there, Jaco sets the sticks up again and now I am dead steady and find a gap in the fence.

View attachment Fence.JPG
About that time a young kudu cow comes back into view headed towards the water trough and Jaco tells me to get ready. I am focused on the gap in the fence which this cow walks behind and I know the bull will be a little taller and I have the perfect hold. Jaco then says I see his legs; I soon see him in the right-hand side of the scope but keep my crosshairs on the gap. The next few words were short, fast and took less than 3 seconds as he was about to walk into my crosshairs. Me “is he big enough”, Jaco “Yes”, Rifle “Boom”. He dropped straight down with a high shoulder shot.

We immediately run towards the corral and at about 60 yards Jaco sets the sticks up again and tells me to put another one in him. This is where it gets pucker time. The bull is laying on his side with his back to us moving head back and forth and he wants me to put it between his horns and in between his shoulder blades again through the fence. I made the shot, and we ran to the corral. Jaco climbs the fence and I jump on the truck as they are coming by as we can drive around through the gate.

As we are looking at him, I am guessing 57”, Jaco just smiles and again does his hand measurement technique then tells his tracker to get the tape. I know in my mind there is only one reason he is asking for the tape. After a quick measurement, Jaco says 60 ½” and I almost fall over. Like the day before, we drank a beer and sat there for 15 minutes just admiring him as he makes the 5th Kudu Bull over 60” NKWE has taken this year. I decided to take the afternoon off again to take all this in.

Kudu 1.JPG

View attachment Kudu 1b.JPG
Kudu 1a.JPG

Around 9 am, Zach and Quentin were able to locate some fresh Zebra tracks in the road. Quentin had the driver stop the truck to examine them when Zach looks down the road and sees an Eland and Zebra dart across. Zach tapped Quentin on the arm and whispered, “I saw an Eland and Zebra cross the road.” They got out of the truck and started tracking them where Zach saw them cross. They walked for 2 miles and finally caught up to them. When they arrived, there was a herd of seven Zebra with one being a massive Stallion; they were also accompanied by a heard of Eland and 1 Wildebeest. As they were getting ready to shoot the Zebra the Wildebeest got spooked and caused all the animals to run away. So, Zach and Quentin continued to follow them determined to acquire a Zebra. They walked another mile and a half until Zach spotted their manes over the thick brush with their backs turned to them. Thankfully, they were downwind from the herd, so they did not know they were there. As they start walking to the left the Stallion was standing quarter broad side facing them behind the brush. Only able to see the Zebra’s head and neck, having to judge quickly before he got away. Zach quickly got on the shooting sticks and was able to hit the Zebra in the heart. After the shot Zach and Quentin started to walk to where the Zebra was shot. They start tracking the blood and about 150 yards away he is standing behind the brush. The Zebra ran another 100 yards and finally went down.

When they drove in to load up the Zebra, low and behold, they found the Eland Bull I had shot on day 1 along the way. That afternoon, Jaco and myself went to collect him and he is unbelievable. Jaco measured him at 39”. I hate the fact that the meat and cape were ruined but if you hunt long enough it will happen.


I took the day off as my feet needed the rest and also needed to elevate them due to my legs swelling.


Zach and Quentin went out is search of Gemsbok on the lodge property. They were able to stalk into position of a very nice Gemsbok. Quentin set up the sticks and the shot required shooting through some brush at 80 yards. Zach took the shot, the bullet hit a limb and was deflected up, hitting the Gemsbok in the void area below the spine and above the vitals. They tracked the Gemsbok finding bits of blood for 400 yards and suddenly there was no more blood. They walked for 3 miles and caught up to the herd. As they stepped out into a clearing the Gemsbok Zach had shot was standing 30 yards away to the right. Zach was not able to take the shot free handed because he was on the far left of the tracker and Quentin. So, Quentin called the driver on the walkie talkie to pick them up and head to the lodge for lunch. As they were driving down the road Quentin told the driver to turn right onto a different path to check something out, and sure enough it paid off. The Gemsbok herd had just run across the road. Once Quentin had verified it was the same herd that is where they were going to pick up their tracks after lunch.


Zach and Quentin got back on the tracks where they left off and after about 2 miles they were able to catch up with the herd and get within 60 yards. Quentin set up the sticks and Zach got ready. Very soon the herd started walking across an opening with the wounded one being the fourth to cross. Zach kept asking just to be certain not to get the wrong animal and was able to take the shot. This time the shot was good with no brush in the way. Zach hit the Gemsbok in the heart and caused her to malfunction. The Gemsbok ran for 30 yards through a very tight opening between two trees. She ran head first into another pile of trees right in front of her causing her to splinter one of her horns. Her non damaged horn measured to 38 ½ inches long.

Gemsbok 1.JPG


Quentin and I headed out to the 133,000-acre property in search of only two specific Kudu Bulls. Jaco and Zach headed out to the same property, but across the road which is 48,420 acres in search of Red Hartebeest. On the drive in to pick up one of the ranches trackers, we round a corner and was looking at the biggest Impala ram I had ever seen. The first thought I had was “do they have east Africa impala?” The body was huge, and the horns were pushing 30” in my estimation. We went on to pick up one of the ranches trackers as they must always accompany you while you are hunting.

After picking him up, we headed toward the area we had seen the first big Kudu Bull on day 2 and saw a helicopter on our way. They were conducting a game capture of Eland and Blue Wildebeest in this area due to the drought so we made our way back to the area I had missed the big Kudu bull previously. Around 10am we spot a broken horn bull on the right side of the road about 100 yards away. This is one of the bulls that was with him previously. We look to the left and there he is walking away from us about 200 yards away. I get on him, but the brush is too high and all I can see is the top of his head up. We are up wind of him, so we make a plan to keep driving another 400 yards which luckily another road intersected the one we were on and then turned left and went another 400 yards.

Standing on top of the high rack, Quentin spotted him right where we thought he would be so we got out and started the stalk. We made our way quickly, lost sight of him and slowed down. The tracker spotted the top 6” of one of his horns about 120 yards away as he had now bedded down. We made our way to about 80 yards, Quintin set up the sticks and I acquired him quickly, but no shot, as there was too much brush. Quintin grabbed the sticks, and we got closer and tried changing the angle. Now at 50 yards, Quintin set up the sticks and I acquired him again with same results, too much brush. There was a big bush in front of us and we made the decision to get around the bush as it looked to be open between there to him. This would put us about 30 yards away and no need or time for sticks if he saw us and got up, the shot would have to be offhand. We get to the spot and watch him for 1-2 minutes and all the sudden he gets up looking at us. He then turned his head to look the other way and I raise the rifle quickly but there is one bush he is standing behind. He looks back at us moving his head up and down, left and right, trying to figure out what we are. His curiosity is his undoing. He takes one step out from behind the bush exposing his shoulder to get a better angle to determine what we are, and I fire, hitting him though the shoulder. He spins and takes off running away from us. We take off after him and find him dead about 80 yards away. We are in awe as this bull has everything, spread, turned out tips and mass. What are the chances of finding the very bull we went back after on 133,000 acres? This makes it even more special.
Kudu 2.JPG

After photos and admiring him, we get him loaded up and head back to the skinning shed. On the way back, we pass by a waterhole and lay eyes on another huge Kudu bull with about 7 cows only 100 yards away. I immediately tell Quinten to call Jaco and have them meet us at the skinning shed so we can get Zach and go back to find this bull. Quinten makes the call, and we find out Zach had taken a Red Hartebeest and a 41” Gemsbok. Back at the skinning shed we ate lunch while waiting on Zach and Jaco as it took them about an hour to get to us. After arriving they tell us they had seen what Jaco thinks the biggest Waterbuck he has ever seen while on the way out at a waterhole they passed by (more on this later). Jaco would take the caped heads back to his lodge while the rest of us would go after the big Kudu Bull Quintin and I had just seen.

Zach and Jaco headed over to the other property looking to get a Red Hartebeest. As they were driving down the road for about 10 minutes the trackers in bed of the truck tapped on the glass to alert Jaco of an animal they saw. Sure enough it was a big Red Hartebeest. After they walked about 70 yards to stalk it Jaco was able to see him standing behind the brush in a little opening. Jaco quickly propped the shooting sticks up and Zach got on the sticks trying to see the Red Hartebeest through the scope. They were facing the morning sun as it started to rise so Jaco grabbed his cap and tried to help shield the light so Zach could see better through the scope. Zach was only able to see the Red Hartebeest as he grew curious to see what we were. Once he took two steps from behind the brush he was behind, Zach was able to take the shot and hit him in the neck causing the Hartebeest to drop right in its tracks.

Red Hartebeest.JPG

After taking photos and admiring such a monster Red Hartebeest, Jaco decided to relax for a bit in a blind at a water hole just to see what stops by. After being there for 2 hours they saw 2 Warthogs and 4 Ostrich’s. Jaco walked out of the blind and up the steps to use the rest room and when he turned around, he saw 3 monster Gemsbok bedding down. Jaco glassed them with his binoculars he spotted a massive female Gemsbok. He whispered to Zach, “Do you want to shoot another Gemsbok?” Zach was hesitant because he really wanted a monster Kudu, but Jaco told Zach how big this one was, and it met Zach’s requirements for what he was looking for in a Gemsbok. Zach slowly walked up the steps and slowing rose the rifle and rested it on a slanted window. Zach looked at the Gemsbok and Asked Jaco, “Which one is it?” Jaco replied, “The one on the left.” Zach then aimed for the Gemsbok on the left. Shooting an animal laying down is very difficult due to it being hard to hit their organs in the right spot. Zach took the shot and hit it in the heart. She got up and ran for 15 yards before falling over.

Gemsbok 2.jpg


After finishing lunch, Zach, Quentin and myself headed out after the big Kudu Bull we had seen earlier. We would see many Kudu, Gemsbok and Waterbuck along the way. About 2 hours later we come to a different waterhole and see 3 Kudu Bulls with 4 Cows. One of the bulls is big, almost as big as the one I had just taken. Zach is on him, but there is a cow standing behind him and then they all took off. We pursue them in the truck as they had fallen in with a single Gemsbok that was hell bent on running. Quentin used the road system to our advantage and over the next hour and 2 ½ miles it was a cat and mouse game. Then Quentin realized they are heading to the waterhole where the big bull was that we had set out after.

We approach the water hole from the downwind side and Quentin is discussing with the trackers a plan to stop the truck about 500 yards out then stalk our way into the waterhole. At about the 600 yard out mark everyone is looking to the right which is where this group of Kudu we had been pursuing were. Here it comes, remember what I had said earlier about looking the other direction? I am standing on the left, Zach is in the middle, Quentin is on the right and both trackers are standing behind us. This all happened very fast. I look to the left and see a young Kudu Cow standing 20 yards off the road. As I elbow Zach and point at her, we both look left another 20 yards and there is standing an absolute monster of a bull with about 6 cows. Zach is already coming up and over my head with rifle as I am pulling him around me at the same time while also grabbing Quentin to stop the truck. We had just drove past this bull! Quentin gets the driver to stop the truck and sees the bull. At the same time, we are both yelling “shoot, shoot, shoot.” One problem, there is a cow standing directly in front of his shoulder and neck. Here is the funny part which Zach brought up after the fact. Zach thinks that cow thought we were talking about her, so she got the hell out there very quickly. As soon as she cleared, the bull started to take off as Kudu do, squatting on his back legs and then lunging forward with both front feet in the air, but those feet would never land correctly again. Zach led him, fired and dropped him straight in his tracks with him landing on his front knees and his body collapsing to the ground. Quentin jumps out of the truck and tells Zach to hurry in case he was to get back up. We get to him in about 8 seconds and Quentin instructs Zach to put another one in him bind the shoulder to make sure he is down for good. We later realized the first shot broke his neck right in front of his shoulder.

The neck and body of this bull is enormous as well as his horns. There was a lot of hugging and tears with this one. Quentin said a prayer over the animal in tribute and we realized the significance of what we had just accomplished this day. As Quentin was setting him up for pictures, I believe we both realized the width of his first curl at the same time and looked at each other and literally said, “oh my god, is he going to make it too?” His horns are so massive that you cannot get your hands around his horns until between his last curl and tips.
Zach Kudu 2.JPG

We take many photos, and try to load him up the normal way, but his horns are too big and wide to fit under the rack, so we have to load him backwards and tie his head up behind the rack. On the way back to the skinning shed we decided to play a joke on Jaco as he had called, and Quentin told him we were tracking a Kudu Zach shot and he thinks he may be too small. We finally get back to the lodge around 8:30pm and I would be the one to go raise hell with Jaco and tell him Quinten messed up and you need to get your tape and go sort this out. Evidently Jaco knew Quentin too well and knew we were messing with him. Jaco grabs his tape and flashlight and walks around the back of the truck to look in and just cannot believe what we his looking at. He puts the tape on him, and the final measurement is 61” with a 45” tip to tip spread with this being the 6th Kudu Bull over 60" NKWE has taken this year, or is it? Jaco is blown away and has Zach set up for additional pictures that do him more justice as we did not get his head tilted up high enough for the photos we took in the field.
Zach Kudu 2az.jpg

After eating dinner and retiring by the campfire, Jaco makes the comment that he does not believe a father and son has ever taken two 60” kudu on the same safari. More on this later. I also, decide we need to go back the next day to try and find the giant Waterbuck they had seen that morning.


We all headed back to the property Zach took the Red Hartebeest and Gemsbok the day before to sit in a blind at the waterhole where they saw the giant Waterbuck. Soon after settling into the blind a few Kudu cows come in and then a few Gemsbok with one being very special. This Gemsbok is definitely over 41” and possibly over 42”, old with rings that went ¾ the way up her horns. Gemsbok is on my list and this one is unbelievable, but I opt to wait out the Waterbuck. About an hour later, a herd of around 40 Blue Wildebeest come in and stay for 20 minutes. Soon after they leave here comes 2 Waterbuck cows and 2 Waterbuck Bulls, but they are not the one we are looking for. They leave and probably another hour goes by and Zach spots three Gemsbok coming in from the left. There is a blind spot to the left so the animals are right at the water before you see them. Jaco gets up to take a look and see the giant Waterbuck Bull we are after drinking water between us and the Gemsbok. Through all the other animals Jaco was very calm when walking you through getting on the animal. Not this time, Jaco gets excited and is telling be to “shoot, shoot.” I must reposition rather quickly and take the shot hitting him in the shoulder. The Waterbuck absorbs the hit without flinching, turns around and takes off. We are in an elevated blind and all bail out to pursue. Once on the ground you can see under the trees for 150 yards or so except for a few bushes. As we maneuver in that direction, Quentin spots him standing there looking at him, I run towards Quentin to be able to see him, slide to a knee in order to see under the branches and he takes off. Jaco and Quentin are telling to shoot in order to get another one in him and I am very close to getting a shot but every time I get on him another bush or tree obstructs my view, and he disappears into the brush. We give him about 10 minutes and then proceed. The tracker spots him in the brush on the ground, Jaco sets up the sticks and I put another one in him behind the shoulder. As we walked up to him, it is clear he was already dead, but better safe than sorry. Again, everyone is in awe of this giant and Jaco calls for the tape measure. This Waterbuck is wide, tall, has hooks and measured 32 ½”.

We are beside ourselves, as another SCI Gold animal is taken and maybe in the top 30 when officially scored. After photos and beer, we are off to the skinning shed and then back to the main lodge.
Waterbuck 2.JPG

On the way back we are all reminiscing about the animals we have taken over the course of 8 days and Jaco references the father and son taking 60” Kudu on one safari thing again. It dawned on me, and I said, “Wait a minute, you never measured my Kudu from yesterday morning. What if we took two over 60” in the same day?” Jaco gives me a look of, you have got to be kidding me and says “Oh @#@# we didn’t measure him.” Now we have an hour of anticipation getting back to camp to measure my second Kudu. We finally arrive and Jaco put the tape on him……………….60 ½”. We killed two 60” Kudu in one day, three on this trip and NKWE Safaris has taken 7 this year so far. Unbelievable! Let me apologize in advance if another father/son has accomplished this as I would have know way to know.

This hunt has been such a humbling experience. When we booked this trip, our goal was to find Kudu over 55” and we would have been ecstatic with a bull of that size. The properties that Jaco hunts are big and exhibit great range management similar to the King Ranch which in turn provides the nutrition needed for these animals to get big and obviously the genetics are there naturally without any modification. Jaco and Quentin are exceptional PH’s are a lot of fun to hunt with and will do whatever it takes to get the animal. If they need to build a brush blind, sit at a waterhole, it doesn’t matter, they will get it done. The cook, Godfrey is always happy and is an exceptional cook. Irene, Jaco’s wife was our cook the last couple of days and is an exceptional cook herself making the best Lamb I have ever eaten. The drivers, trackers and entire staff are top notch. While there, I discussed my next trip with Jaco, which will be for Cape Buffalo at his area in the Chobe and Zach will be going back in a few years to hunt Leopard with him.

Jaco, Irene, Quentin, Godfrey, Georgie and the entire staff. THANK YOU for such an Incredible Safari!

“THE BOTSWANA WAY” is the way!!!!!!!!
Last edited by a moderator:
That's some giant trophies. Congrats.
Excellent quality trophies and safari. Congratulations!

Outstanding report, gorgeous photos and a giant kudos to your son for paying his way. Priorities. Good job mom and dad
Glad you and your son had an amazing hunt. Your taxidermy bill is about to be brutal.
Congrats and thanks for sharing! That's an insane hunt you had all together, especially for kudu and sable!
Great report - outstanding hunt = NKWE and their areas absolute top!!!!(y)(y)(y)
Outstanding report, gorgeous photos and a giant kudos to your son for paying his way. Priorities. Good job mom and dad
Thank you sir, we try. There are no entitlements in our family.
Great write up, really enjoyed the adventure you told so well
Can’t wait for our hunt there next year
Thanks for sharing
Great write up, really enjoyed the adventure you told so well
Can’t wait for our hunt there next year
Thanks for sharing
Thank you. You will be in great hands with Jaco and his staff and I look forward to your report next year.
What a SAFARI! Thanks for the great report and CONGRATS on the incredible trophies. This is one hunt you’ll never forget.
Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for sharing !
Malcolm, that was an awesome report to read and I even had fore knowledge of most of the animals. That big waterbuck is awesome, you hadn't told me you finally got him. It was great to meet you and Zach the evening before Kevin and I left. NKWE is a special place to hunt and Jaco and Quentin a lot of fun.

Congrats again on some amazing animals
Malcolm, that was an awesome report to read and I even had fore knowledge of most of the animals. That big waterbuck is awesome, you hadn't told me you finally got him. It was great to meet you and Zach the evening before Kevin and I left. NKWE is a special place to hunt and Jaco and Quentin a lot of fun.

Congrats again on some amazing animals
Thank You Pat. That first night in camp was fun with you and Kevin.

I had you keep something in my back pocket for the story you didn’t know about.

Forum statistics

Latest member



Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.