Botswana Hunting Closure Case Study

Breaker Morant

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
The Meera stuff really got me to thinking. I am new here so nobody really knows me. I am a farmer in the US who had the crop of a lifetime in 2012 so I decided to go on the trip of a lifetime. I will be hunting Matetsi in Zimbabwe for Buff/Plains game in June.

I also have some academic/part-time work background in Geography/biogeography/conservation. My true passion and gift is probably research and writing. I have long been trying to think of a research project I could perform as a hobby-if I published something great-if not-no harm.

I am strongly considering doing some kind of a long-term case study of Botswana's hunting closure and what happens to game outside the national parks. I suspect that I would have that topic mostly to myself as I doubt there will be much interest from the modern university system except at the margins.

Gathering info/interviews soon from PH's and so forth familiar with game populations in Botswana hunting concessions might be much easier than it will be later as they disperse across Africa.

Covers several of my passions-hunting/conservation/Africa. I think this is something that I could work on for the rest of my life. Of course, several research trips might be required to hunting areas across Africa-LOL

You may want to have a look at several of the University web sites in Southern Africa.

There is a large resource of interested people and research. It might be on the fringe over here but not over there.

Good luck.

http://www.environment.gov.za/sites/default/files/docs/programme_booklet_final.pdf

The latest in RSA.

The folks at this conference will provide you some contacts.

Another list:

DE WITT, L., VAN DER MERWE, P. & SAAYMAN, M. 2012: Responsible tourism in South African National Parks: a tourist perspective. 10th Annual Savanna science network meeting. South Africa: Kruger national park. 5-9 March 2012.

VAN DER MERWE, P. & SAAYMAN, M. 2011. Comparison of travel motives between International and National tourist to Kruger National park. 5th ICNT conference held in Buskerud University College, Norway: Oslo. 30 November to 2 December 2011.

VAN DER MERWE, P. & SAAYMAN, M. 2011. The economic impact of hunting in the Limpopo Province. 7th International Wildlife Ranching Symposium Kimberley, South Africa 10 to 14 October 2011.

DU PLESSIS, L. VAN DER MERWE, P. & SAAYMAN, M. 2011. Environmental factors influencing tourists experience to South African National Parks. International conference on Tourism and Management Studies. Algarve, Portugal 26-29 October.

DE WITT, L., VAN DER MERWE, P. & SAAYMAN, M. 2011. Key aspect of ecotourism: a visitors perspective. International conference on Tourism and Management Studies. Algarve, Portugal 26-29 October.

VAN DER MERWE, P. & SAAYMAN, M. 2010. The social impact of Table Mountain National Park. 4th ICNT conference held in Auckland New Zealand. 28-30 November 2010.

DU PLESSIS, L. VAN DER MERWE, P. & SAAYMAN, M. 2010. How environmental friendly are South Africa National Parks? Global sustainable tourism International Conference. 15-19 Nov. 2010. Mbombela Nelspruit South Africa.

WARREN, R. VAN DER MERWE, P. & SAAYMAN, M. 2010. Does location of game farms matter? 60th AIEST conference: Tourism development after the crises. Potchefstroom: South Africa 12-15 September 2010.

Sounds like a plan Good Luck and Welcome to AH!

Thanks Guys-as of now it is just a germ of an idea. For now, I am scratching my writing itch by blogging about my trip step-by-step.

Good luck with your study. Who knows, you might be able to make a difference. Regardless, it should be an interesting nonetheless.

Sounds like a fantastic idea. Maybe, (if you can find them) find some folks that remember Kenya, possibly even those who have been a PH in Kenyas glory days (pre-1977). You can read and read and read about the failed game population in Kenya and compare it to what may/will happen in Bots if they choose the same path. Very sad reading I am afraid, as I am sure both yours and Meera's will be as well.

The Meera stuff really got me to thinking. I am new here so nobody really knows me. I am a farmer in the US who had the crop of a lifetime in 2012 so I decided to go on the trip of a lifetime. I will be hunting Matetsi in Zimbabwe for Buff/Plains game in June.

I also have some academic/part-time work background in Geography/biogeography/conservation. My true passion and gift is probably research and writing. I have long been trying to think of a research project I could perform as a hobby-if I published something great-if not-no harm.

I am strongly considering doing some kind of a long-term case study of Botswana's hunting closure and what happens to game outside the national parks. I suspect that I would have that topic mostly to myself as I doubt there will be much interest from the modern university system except at the margins.

Gathering info/interviews soon from PH's and so forth familiar with game populations in Botswana hunting concessions might be much easier than it will be later as they disperse across Africa.

Covers several of my passions-hunting/conservation/Africa. I think this is something that I could work on for the rest of my life. Of course, several research trips might be required to hunting areas across Africa-LOL

Interesting indeed, I for one look for positive "spin offs" please understand that I by no way endorse or like what has happened but looking for positives (as I have posted 3x on this subject) could involve the sudden and massive development of the under developed game industry on private land in Botswana and have a major positive (billion $) contribution if it was to go the SA route(the only billion $ hunting industry in Africa)

Maybe the hon. President has a long term plan, could he possibly have looked at the largest wildlife driven industry country in Africa and decided to follow suit or rather create a stimulus for such development, Botswana is not the MOST STABLE ECONOMY IN AFRICA FOR NOTHING THIS IS THE EXACT REASON WHY I HAVE THE OPTIMISTIC BELIEVE THAT THERE MIGHT BE SOME NETHOD BEHIND THIS MADNESS.

After all it is not much different than in SA.....no real hunting on govt land and pretty much all hinting concentrated on private areas...

Who knows... With hope and optimism my very best always.......

Since I am pretty ignorant about the conditions in Botswana, I have to ask some questions. I have noticed there are a fair amount of leased land in this country. If the leasingholder put up a gamefence, can he then buy the animals and continue to offer hunts?

Hunting will continue on private land leased or not this would be my understanding yes..., there is also a large number of big privately owned farms, that run cattle yet with good numbers of game...

My best always

:beer: Here's to hoping you're right Jaco... I hope Bots see's the benefit of keeping the hunting industry going in their wonderful country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhakhoa123

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,