Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.africanindaba.co.za
Media
Articles
Member of
CIC, Rowland Ward, B&C, DSC, German Hunting Association, KZN Hunting Association, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Western US, Western Canada, Alaska, Colombia, Tajikistan, Russian Federation, China, Iran, Austria, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, UK, Indonesia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Namibia
by Joseph Kgamanyane (edited for space)

According to a report prepared by the Ngamiland trusts, they have already lost money amounting to P7 million in the last 12 months because of the hunting ban. They also explained that close to 200 jobs have been lost, and there are fears that more retrenchments could come. The Mababe Zokotsama Community Development Trust saw income drop from P3.5 million to P500 000 and shedding around 30 jobs; Sankoyo Tshwaragano Management Trust income dropped from P3.5 million to P1.8 million, with 35 job losses; Okavango Kopano Mokoro Community Trust’s income fell from P4.8 million to P2.5 million and about 40 people lost their jobs. The report also indicates that trusts in other regions of Seronga/Gudigwa, Phuduhudu and Xaixai experienced about 80 jobs lost.

Ngamiland CBNRM forum submitted their concerns to the Ministry of Environment Wildlife and Tourism in May 2013 and top of the list was the issue of hunting ban. [In] 2013 MEWT issued a ban on hunting of wildlife in all controlled hunting areas in Botswana which was effective from early January 2014. The Ministry’s decision came after research surveys conducted by Mike Chase of Elephants without Borders, whose findings indicated that the country is experiencing a decline in wild animal species.

MEWT explained that the cause of the decline was likely due to a combination of factors such as anthropogenic impacts, including illegal offtake and habitat fragmentation or loss. Ngamiland CBNRM submitted that the forum appreciates that some wildlife species are indeed declining, however they pointed out that the same report concluded that wildlife species like elephants and buffalo are increasing. The forum members complained that the two species are a threat to the agriculture sector in the Northern part of Botswana (as elephants destroy crops while Buffalos transmit Foot and Mouth Disease to cattle). The forum recommended that the hunting ban should exempt Elephants and Buffalos.

The Ngamiland district is reported as the cornerstone of CBNRM with more than 20 legally registered community organizations or trusts. 8 of these CBOs leased wildlife management areas and derived benefits from the use of natural resources within their areas. CBNRM is a development approach that supports natural resources conservation and management while ensuring that the rural communities do benefit from the natural resources.

The government can just pay them to sit at home now and watch the Elephants raid their crops. :confused:

Maybe Mike Chase has some positions available on his "research" team. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Mr Chase cares more about some of the wildlife than the unemployed people. Perhaps he has a means to train these people for some unknown jobs yet to be identified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross