Botswana Cattle Killing PAC Leopard

M McDindi

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Received the following two photos and info from one of my Botswana friends.

Two nights ago, their time, the leopard in the photo got into his neighbor Kevin's cattle coral and killed six young calves. The next day they tracked a "drag" mark and found the seventh about 300m away. The set up and waited for him to hopefully come back the next evening, (yesterday their time).

7 dead calves.jpeg

The cat came back about 5:30pm and his cattle killing career was put to an end and that is cat number six for Kevin.

Kevin's Cattle Killing Leopard.jpeg

They are desperately hoping the country will open leopard hunting up more fully.

Damn beautiful cat!

Glad he was able to get it! Too bad it couldn't be a client due to this global lockdown...

CAustin - yes, that was a nice cat. Kevin is just a bit over 6' tall.

CPR - unfortunately, Bots hasn't fully opened leopard hunting...yet. They did allocate a very few exportable leopard in the concessions they tendered earlier this year but, not every concession.

It is a damn shame that no matter how hard the hunting community tries to explain the relationship between wildlife and ranching/farming and that they CAN both co-exist with responsible take off of game that covers the expense of the ranchers/farmers losses then it can be positive for the ranchers/farmers and because the game has monetary value they will be allowed to live off of the ranchers/farmers resources. The loss of a few game animals, that are generally past their prime and the fact that ALL animals die regardless, help ensure the continued existence of the each species.

When I hunted that specific area last year, both times, there were LOTS of very good leopard tracks. During the heyday of leopard hunting before it was shut down, my friend there specialized leopard with dogs. He had a European client that they took, I think he said, four tom leopard in 5-days. He showed me a video of one of the cats that was at bay by the dogs and as they drove up in the open topped bakkie, it charged the truck. The shot (shotgun) was literally at point blank range. He said even he had to go back and change his pants after that one.o_O

He said the cats have become so plentiful that they really have become a significant problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross