Bostwana Hunting Status

If you don't wan to wait for the link to open, here is the full official press release.

Attachments

• HE's STATEMENT - UPDATE ON COVID 19- 27TH APRIL 2020 . FINAL SPEECH.pdf
    132.9 KB · Views: 103
My friends in Botswana, Gerhard Koch and Jaco Visser sent me another very well don video about the impact the lockdown has had on the rural communities and people. This can really apply to all rural communities and people throughout southern Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hadn't heard from Gerhard in in a few days and he finally popped a quick message today. Up until this week, due to the WuFlu lock down, they and all other game ranchers, have even been prohibited from butchering game and selling to the retail markets. That all opened up this week and they have been very busy in the butchery and delivering meat to the markets. At least they can finally have some income coming in to pay their workers and their bills.

Small step, but in the right direction at least.

CT 27 is not a particularly good Jumbo area as it is more densely populated with towns and villages , cattle post , mines etc. furthermore they are notoriously ill tempered and have small ivory. 50 Lbs would be exceptional. Northern Bots is a better area. The Delta is looking good at the moment. Just a few months ago we could walk around the camps now it’s boat access only! Johan Calitz has been donating food parcels to the rural communities in NG41. But more needs to be done. Northern Bots relies heavily on tourist money to make ends meet.

Thanks John. Your info squares with what Jaco and Gerhard have told me about the areas. I have not personally been on the ground in NG49 or CT27 - yet. (y) I've only hunted on the southern end of the Tuli 2x last year on Gerhard's place called Sass Post. From how you describe CT27, which is on the northern most end of Gerhard's "home" area. They are saying to expect bulls in the 30-40lb range. That is probably why they are only asking $25k all inclusive for the ele they have on quota in CT27 and $65K all inclusive for the ones they have in NG49.

My wife and I had planned to be in Bots this June to hunt with Gerhard on Sass Post for a week and then he planned out a 13-day self drive tour for us to explore. My wife and I have spent a LOT of time in Namibia touring and hunting and were very much looking forward to getting to know Bots the same way over the coming years. We CNX'd our June trip and will just start our touring next year and just double the touring time to make up for this year. I'm still planning on the Aug hunting only trip with 3x other hunters and maybe one more who's still thinking about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Received an update on things in Botswana this morning from Gerhard.

- International borders are still closed except for cargo/supplies.

- Internally, they can now travel to their local towns for food, fuel and supplies and they (he) can sell game meat to the local markets

- On 20 May they will be able to travel within their zone without first obtaining a permit but can't travel between zones without a permit.
Botswana Covid Zones Map.jpeg

Since we had to CNX our June trip to BOTs, and with the info above and messages with Gerhard, we decided to go ahead and book tickets for the Aug trip.

Since Qatar Air was actually very good about refunding the June fares in full, we booked with them again for the Aug trip. Figure nothing to lose, if BOTs isn't open by the end of July, I'm sure they (Qatar Air) will either CNX the flights or we will and get the full refund again.

One of the guys going with us on the Aug trip received this email from the US Consular in Gaborone. Things are looking up. I've extracted the pertinent info below.

Date: May 15, 2020 at 10:36:33 AM CDT
Subject: Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana (5/15/2020)

Event: Phase 3 Re-Opening Permits and Requirements

The Government of Botswana has moved to Phase 3 in its gradual re-opening of the economy. Phase 3 provisionally lasts from May 15 through May 22, during which a whole range of shops and industries may re-open.

All business will require temperature screening, face coverings for entry, cleaning and disinfection two to three times per day, hand sanitizing upon entry and throughout the establishment, and a register of all who enter. We recommend bringing your own pen when you plan to shop or enter other businesses. Keep in mind you may be refused entry if you do not comply with all of the restrictions listed.

Botswana is now divided into nine geographical zones. Travel within the zones still requires an individual permit acquired online through Phase 3 (ends provisionally on May 22). Travel between zones is restricted to essential services and employer-submitted work permits (pink and green permits).

If the threat eases, the restrictions may be lifted more quickly. If the threat exceeds the current level at any point, the original 28-day lockdown rules, or stricter rules, will be put back in place.

There are currently no commercial flights, special flights or government charters available, and borders are still closed for regular travel. Be prepared to shelter in place until commercial flights resume or borders open, which could be several months.

Minor new "news" - Alcohol sales will resume on Jun 3. :A Banana::D Beer Bottle:

Mass hang overs will resume Jun 4-10! :A Stars:

Small step but, at least in the right direction! :A Big Hello:

Latest news I've got on Botswana.

1. Govt allowed the winners of the DG concession tenders earlier this year to roll them over to all of 2021.

2. As of today, 1 Aug, the Gaborone Covid 19 district is back on full lockdown for at LEAST 14-days. No travel into or out of the district and even very limit travel in it.

We just cancelled our Aug trip to Sass Post in the Tuli block.

NG43 was maintained by Jimmy van Rensburg. They did receive quota and are operating as Kwatale led by Frans van der Merwe.

I am 99% sure that the same holds true with Jeff Rann on CT1.

I have heard differing reports on NG41 and so should probably not comment further on it.

Hi there

Jeff Rann does indeed have a long term lease over CT1 (we are partners in this area). He also bid on and won the elephant hunts in NG9 and CT4. All are great areas for Elephant. Watch this space for some impressive ivory next year!

Reactions: WAB
There’s going to be a lot of good bulls shot when we can finally get there! We know that we have the 2020 quota for 2021. There may be some added to it but it is too early to say for sure. 286 elephant were put on quota in 2020. The Cites quota is 400 and we know it won’t go above that. More movement could be seen on buffalo. Let’s hope for a great season for all in 2021!!! For those who haven’t hunted Botswana, make it happen, it is the hunt of a lifetime!!!

Latest news I've got on Botswana.

1. Govt allowed the winners of the DG concession tenders earlier this year to roll them over to all of 2021.

2. As of today, 1 Aug, the Gaborone Covid 19 district is back on full lockdown for at LEAST 14-days. No travel into or out of the district and even very limit travel in it.

We just cancelled our Aug trip to Sass Post in the Tuli block.
Sorry to hear this!

There’s going to be a lot of good bulls shot when we can finally get there! We know that we have the 2020 quota for 2021. There may be some added to it but it is too early to say for sure. 286 elephant were put on quota in 2020. The Cites quota is 400 and we know it won’t go above that. More movement could be seen on buffalo. Let’s hope for a great season for all in 2021!!! For those who haven’t hunted Botswana, make it happen, it is the hunt of a lifetime!!!
Fully agree WAB Botswana is still one of the best wide open places where you still get the Africa experience of yesteryear!

Reactions: WAB
No worries as the saying goes in Africa, "make a plan" - already have dates for three small group trips to Sass Post area penciled in for next Jun, Jul and Aug. :)

At the risk of being called a "Debbie Downer", there are still several missing pieces to the Bots DG jigsaw puzzle:

1. Boarders actually opening
2. Air Carriers/routes to get there
3. And last but not least for US guys, the unanswerable question of IF the USG will allow the imports to the US. IF the current "Cecil Act" the Dem passed in the House Appropriations Bill dose NOT get removed in the Senate and it get signed into law, ALL trophy imports will be shut down COMPLETELY.
index.jpg

At the risk of being called a "Debbie Downer", there are still several missing pieces to the Bots DG jigsaw puzzle:

3. And last but not least for US guys, the unanswerable question of IF the USG will allow the imports to the US. IF the current "Cecil Act" the Dem passed in the House Appropriations Bill dose NOT get removed in the Senate and it get signed into law, ALL trophy imports will be shut down COMPLETELY.
View attachment 360950

I think you can count on the senate shooting that one out of the saddle!

View attachment 360950
Why don’t we use the modern way of showing opposition to the bill by arranging a protest by “farm workers” to the appropriate Embassies. The going rate for a rent a crowd is a happy meal/ piece of KFC and a t shirt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.