Bored: Benchmark Midbore and Big Bore?

IronCowboy

AH veteran
Reaction score
I was perusing some of these "subjective opinion" threads this morning waiting for an airplane (.458wm = classic and non-military cartridge hunting battery threads, and another subjective opinion thread on a different site) and I thought I might throw up a question for the peanut gallery...

If you were to name the Mid Bore and Big Bore cartridges you consider to be the benchmark against which all other cartridges in their classes are compared (at least in your own mind), what would they be? There is no right or wrong, of course, but the differences in personal preference seem to be very interesting.

I'll kick it off with my own convoluted choices: Mid-bore = .416 Rigby, Big Bore = .470NE

For Mid-bore, I'm hard pressed to choose between .375 H&H and .416 Rigby, but I'd tend to favor the Rigby as the cartridge I mentally compare other cartridges against.

For large bore, as much as I personally enjoy the .458WM, I slate the .470NE as my Benchmark cartridge. Kinda hard for me to say that outloud, since part of me thinks ".458WM is enough, everything else above that is just MORE enough..." But the .470NE is my big bore benchmark.

Hello IronCowboy,

Mid-Bore - .375 H&H.
Large-Bore - .458 Lott.

The reason for me personally to use these specific ones, for comparing to other similar cartridges, within each of these two categories is because, I am familiar with their typical range of bullets available, regarding sectional density, ballistic coefficient (or lack thereof), velocities possible and trajectories, within their acceptable chamber pressures.

In the case of the .375, I am also very familiar with it's performance on game.

I have shot animals with it in N. America and Africa as well, using bullets from 235 grains, to 300 grains - excellent results every time.

In the case of the .458 Lott, I cling to it, due to it's impressive reputation on game, and my specific rifle is quite accurate (not to mention that just like the .375 H&H - bullets and brass, primers / powders etc., are quite available where I live.

Although, I have not shot any animal with it yet.

However, a side note is in order regarding my .458 Lott hand-loads:
I could just as well use the original .450 NE as my benchmark Big-Bore, because I confess to loading my Lott down to match that fine one, in order to keep recoil within my tolerance level, during repeated shots required for practice sessions.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

PS:
Few if any will be surprised that I had to look up the meaning of "benchmark".

Last edited:
Bench Mark:

375 H&H
470 NE

"Bench Mark" implies that which others are judged, based or compared.

The 458 Win Mag was compared to the 470 NE (Power of a 470 in a bolt rifle) and almost all cartridges are "compared" to the Grand Old 375 H&H.

Bolt or single shot Mid- 375H&H Big bore-458 Lott
Double Mid-9.3x74 Big bore 450NE or 470NE

If you were to name the Mid Bore and Big Bore cartridges you consider to be the benchmark against which all other cartridges in their classes are compared (at least in your own mind), what would they be?

medium bore: 375 H&H
large bore: 470 NE

i dont own either of these cartridges nor do i plan to buy them in the future. but in a general sense i would say these two cartridges are the standards to which all other cartridges are judged. this does not make them the best cartridges out there, it just means they are the most popular.

now if you were asking for my favorite cartridges you would be getting a completely different answer.

-matt

I think it depends on Era... but... I would say:

Medium bore: .375H&H
Large Bore: .450 Nitro Express (The Rigby one)

The .450 was the first big nitro cartridge (even though in its day it was initially seen as laughably small to the old timers.) It is what Winchester was trying to duplicate with the .458 WM (480grains @ 2150fps). For a long time, it was THE nitro express and everything else was measured against it, until the British, in their first, but certainly not last attempt at gun control, banned the use of .45 caliber rifle projectiles, spawning the myriad of .465-475 Nitro cartridges. Thats my justification for the answer anyway.

Medium Bore 9.3 x or 375H&H
Big Bore 450 Nitro (current modern day version 450 Rigby)
Huge Bore...USS Missouri

Interesting thread that I would have expected more comments on. I'm no expert at all but I can tell anyone that @Velo Dog and I agree on the kick of the 458 Lott. An extended secession at the range will teach you that there is a whole bunch of energy headed down range when you pull the trigger. Can other things be judged against it....??? I guess so.....especially on the pain side. I didn't have to shoot anything with mine but it was the backup rifle/round on my elephant hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg