Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.africanindaba.co.za
Media
Articles
Member of
CIC, Rowland Ward, B&C, DSC, German Hunting Association, KZN Hunting Association, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Western US, Western Canada, Alaska, Colombia, Tajikistan, Russian Federation, China, Iran, Austria, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, UK, Indonesia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Namibia
The Boone and Crockett Club, the oldest hunter-conservationist organization in North America, has released a position statement and video on big-game trophies and hunting on 18 January 2017.

There are several aspects to public hunting and its connection to wildlife and habitat conservation that are not well understood. Trophy hunting, however, is the subject that has generated the most misunderstanding and misperceptions. It has become a polarizing topic, both internationally and in North America. As a result, the conservation benefits of hunting in general and the ethics of some hunters individually have come under attack. The Club felt it was time to bring forward the historical and scientific context of big-game trophies and offer the Club’s views on the subject.

The Boone and Crockett Club does not believe trophy hunting is a particular form of hunting, but rather the selective pursuit of an older, more mature animal that tends to be more wary, elusive, and more challenging to hunt. When hunters choose to selectively hunt in fair chase, they are engaging in wildlife conservation at its core. It is a choice that should be respected and admired, not criticized.

The Club has encouraged selective hunting for over a century for a variety of reasons, which are further delineated in its position statement. Originally, selective hunting was a means of helping decimated game populations to recover in the first half of the 20th century. With most species now recovered – some areas to an overabundance – the existence of mature animals today is proof that modern wildlife management policies, which include public hunting, are successful and do not harm the sustainability of game populations.

“The arguments being put forth that trophy hunting is unacceptable are value-based and have no scientific relevance,” said Club President Ben B. Hollingsworth, Jr. “They also ignore the historical linkage between hunting, wildlife recovery, conservation and management, and the future welfare of game species. Most of the criticisms about hunting big-game trophies appear more concerned with the actions of individuals than for the welfare of wildlife.”

The new position statement expresses the Club’s belief that the term “trophy hunting” is ambiguous, subjective, and can therefore be easily exploited to advance anti-hunter rhetoric. Hollingsworth explained, “Inserting the word ‘trophy’ in front of the word ‘hunting’ is a disingenuous tactic intended to sway the public against all hunting. In the Club’s view, selective hunting is not something that can be singled out and legislated away without threatening public hunting as a whole, as well as our proven system of wildlife conservation. The Club strongly encourages those who do not hunt to ignore misleading rhetoric. It also reminds sportsmen to uphold the highest ethical standards whenever they hunt and apply peer pressure on others to do the same. In doing so, everyone who cares about wildlife will continue to support wildlife conservation.

Source: B&C Press Release Big Game Trophies and Trophy Hunting

The Boone and Crockett Club, the oldest hunter-conservationist organization in North America, has released a position statement and video on big-game trophies and hunting on 18 January 2017.

"the selective pursuit of an older, more mature animal"

Source: B&C Press Release Big Game Trophies and Trophy Hunting

Hello AFRICAN INDABA,

I mean no disrespect by posting an opposing view here.
However, B&C's words: "selective pursuit of an older, more mature animal" stopped me in my tracks, as I have observed this organization to be mostly interested in who can bag the highest scoring animals, not much sleep lost over the age of any "trophy" animal, their only concern seems to be the tape measure potential.

And no doubt, my thoughts on tape measures and record books here, will bring a multitude of opposite opinion posts but that is ok, because mine are only opinions / suggestions as well, nothing more.

Any way, my understanding is that most, if not all members of the North American deer family, are actually in their best breeding years when their antlers are at their highest "scoring potential", in terms of Boone & Crockett's measuring practices (same goes for SCI measuring/scoring practices on African buffalo horns and sable antelope horns - but that's for another thread).
And, as these "deer family" animals become elderly, the male's yearly new antler growth comes back shorter each season ?
This smaller and smaller antler growth, presumably plays at least some part in the "older, more mature" animal being physically pushed away from the females, during the rut by younger, stronger, faster, larger antlered competitors.
If I am way off base here, I will stand by for an education in deer biology, as I am always willing to stand corrected when I'm wrong.

It is no secret that, I see all these trophy books, "Weatherby Award" banquets, "big buck contests" and any institution that essentially post a bounty on the heads of genetically superior animals, during their prime breeding years, as going out of style or, at least needing to go out of style (just like cigarettes, for one example).

Kind regards,
Velo Dog.

Just some observations from my experience with pope and young (I know not b/c).

1: who would pay to register an animal if it is not of exceptional quality.
2: what did pope and young do with this information. They sent their record books to various govt and f/g agencies to support the effectiveness of bowhunting as well as the sport of hunting
3: the record books to me are not so much about the size of the animal but registering an animal in a log that can be used to promote the sport and promote conservation.
4: the record books promote areas that have great genetics and are invaluable to someone looking to plan a hunt.
Finally if the agencies would rely more on evidence then public opinion then hunting as conservation would be a lot easier to promote. However without registries and organizations fighting for seasons and the constant battle of anti hunters trying to delegalize hunting then the sport that we love will not be long for this world.
I applaud all organizations that promote hunting and do everything they can to get hunters into the woods whether it is inches on the wall or meat in the freezer.

Hello AFRICAN INDABA,

I mean no disrespect by posting an opposing view here.
However, B&C's words: "selective pursuit of an older, more mature animal" stopped me in my tracks, as I have observed this organization to be mostly interested in who can bag the highest scoring animals, not much sleep lost over the age of any "trophy" animal, their only concern seems to be the tape measure potential.

And no doubt, my thoughts on tape measures and record books here, will bring a multitude of opposite opinion posts but that is ok, because mine are only opinions / suggestions as well, nothing more.

Any way, my understanding is that most, if not all members of the North American deer family, are actually in their best breeding years when their antlers are at their highest "scoring potential", in terms of Boone & Crockett's measuring practices (same goes for SCI measuring/scoring practices on African buffalo horns and sable antelope horns - but that's for another thread).
And, as these "deer family" animals become elderly, the male's yearly new antler growth comes back shorter each season ?
This smaller and smaller antler growth, presumably plays at least some part in the "older, more mature" animal being physically pushed away from the females, during the rut by younger, stronger, faster, larger antlered competitors.
If I am way off base here, I will stand by for an education in deer biology, as I am always willing to stand corrected when I'm wrong.

It is no secret that, I see all these trophy books, "Weatherby Award" banquets, "big buck contests" and any institution that essentially post a bounty on the heads of genetically superior animals, during their prime breeding years, as going out of style or, at least needing to go out of style (just like cigarettes, for one example).

Kind regards,
Velo Dog.
VD, I can tell you that the age of maturity you describe would be a 5 to 6 year old Whitetail. This would be the peak years of his life as far as antler size is concerned.

Are 5 and 6 year old bucks doing the majority of the breeding as you surmise? Not even close, at least in most free range environments. The population of whitetail bucks age 5 and over is maybe 10% of all bucks. Very few actually live to that age in non managed environments, which in reality is most environments in the US.

A good doe to buck ratio is 2 to 1 but in most cases the real ratios are probably 4 to 1 or worse. But let's assume 4 to 1. That means for every 100 deer you have 80 does and 20 bucks. Assuming my age structure is even close to correct then you have 2 fully mature bucks with 80 does to breed. There just isn't any way that's possible, especially when you have the majority of does coming into estrous in a short window of time (at least in the north).

So there are many more does bred by 2, 3 and 4 year olds than 5 year olds or older.

Velo Dog-

It is great we can discuss opposing views openly. I think your "score-centric" view of the Boone and Crockett Club is lacking an understanding of how the history of B&C in intertwined with that of North American conservation itself. B&C (and Pope & Young) is so much more than a record book.

Boone and Crockett began keeping formal records in the 1920s and the idea of recording the most exceptional specimens of big game animals became so popular that the name is now synonymous with large trophies. Although the Boone and Crockett Club is certainly famous for its records program, few people understand and appreciate the rich history of the Club, or their current conservation efforts. The history of the club parallels the history of our great system of wildlife conservation in North America. In fact, in 1960 the Club asked James Trefethan to write a manuscript on the history of the Boone and Crockett Club and by the time it neared completion, he realized it was not a history of one organization, but a book on the history of the modern wildlife conservation movement. The book was renamed the "Crusade for Wildlife" and remains a classic treatise chronicling how we came to have the most successful system of conservation in the history of mankind. The Club was not only there to help in its development, but the early Club members were the drivers of most major conservation efforts from the beginning.

The story of wildlife depletion following the "settling" of America is a familiar one. Early settlers felt the wilds of the Midwest, and then the West were full of an unlimited bounty that could not be depleted. There were no laws or restrictions on which animals could be used for meat and leather nor under the conditions they could be killed. Trainloads of wildlife and wildlife parts were shipped east to markets and even more were bought, sold and bartered locally to feed those who worked up an appetite carving out a life from the rugged landscape.

In 1887, Theodore Roosevelt held a dinner party for a select collection of men who shared his interests in the outdoors and pursuit of big game. Although details are sketchy, sometime at the dinner party it was suggested they form the nucleus of a club comprised of "American hunting riflemen" who would take note of the conditions of wild game during their hunting trips and report back to the group about conservation actions that might be needed. They agreed this nucleus would consist of only 100 regular members, all of whom had to have harvested "in fair chase" at least 3 species of North American big game. At some point it was deemed fitting to name this new organization after two of the country's most famous hunters: Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett.

Roosevelt, who served as the club's first president, never intended this to be a social organization. The early membership was stacked very carefully with people of great influence and an ability to affect legislation and public opinion. The membership included George Bird Grinnell (editor of the influential Forest and Stream Weekly), Gifford Pinchot, (first Chief of the U.S. Forest Service), William Hornaday, Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman, Gen. William Sheridan, and later, Charles Sheldon, and Aldo Leopold. From the start, membership included most of the active conservation administrators and leaders in high-level positions.

The Club immediately began to work on important conservation issues of the day. There were other local conservation organizations, but none that accomplished more throughout history due to the influence and political connections of its members. After breaking his earlier promise and becoming Governor of New York in 1899 and then president of the United States, Roosevelt and the relentless members of the Boone and Crockett Club successfully campaigned for the establishment of state game laws, stopped market hunting, established the National Park Service, the U.S. Forest Service, and the National Wildlife Refuge System (including 50 refuges), protected Yellowstone National Park, established Glacier and Denali National Parks, passed the Pittman-Robertson Act (excise tax that now funds state wildlife agencies like TPWD), Duck Stamp Program, the Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit Program, and much more.

Since its establishment in 1887, the Boone & Crockett Club has been a leader in most important conservation actions. With the guidance of influential early members, the uncontrolled use of wildlife resources came to an end and the market hunter was replaced by today's hunter-conservationist. Because of their efforts, Americans started to realize that the only way to save wildlife was to build a constituency that would fight against unregulated destruction in favor of regulated use.

The Boone & Crockett Club was the first organization to champion fair chase hunting ethics. In the 1880s few people were concerning themselves with the ethical pursuit of game under standards of fairness. To Theodore Roosevelt and those like him, it was a matter of good citizenship to conserve our natural resources for future Americans. In 1889, Grinnell wrote in Forest and Stream: “those that boast of their slaughter are now ashamed of it, and it is becoming a recognized fact that a man who wastefully destroys big game, …has nothing of the true sportsman about him.”

Ethical hunting was not a new idea to Roosevelt. In 1902, after several unsuccessful days of bear hunting in the Mississippi Delta, the guides for then President Roosevelt were nervous the president was going to be skunked on the trip. The next day they happened upon an old bear, chased him to exhaustion, tied him to a tree, and brought the president to the bear. Roosevelt refused to kill the bear because it was not in fair chase. A political cartoon titled “Drawing the line in Mississippi” appeared in the papers heralding his sportsmanship and soon toy companies were selling little stuffed bears under the name “Teddy Bears.”

The Boone & Crockett’s model of “fair chase” pursuit of game served as the foundation for many modern hunting laws. The name of the organization’s magazine (Fair Chase) sends a clear message that this focus has not faded in importance to club members. The trophy record book that the Club has become well-known for is so much a part of the North American hunting community that it is referred to as “The Book.” Animals of exceptional quality are termed “Book Bucks” or “one for the book.” The origin of keeping trophy records is also intertwined with Boone and Crockett's early conservation goals. With big game species vanishing throughout their range, early conservationists felt it was important to preserve specimens of these species as biological records as to their geographic range and physical attributes. A records committee was assembled in 1902, not to establish a braggart’s list of trophies bagged, but a system to record biological measurements and location data for North American big game species. It was hoped that these records would make the general public aware of these beautiful animals that were in dire need of a system of perpetual conservation.

The first edition of "the book" Records of North American Big Game was published in 1932, but at that time used a more primitive system involving just the length and spread of antlers, horns or the skull. That relatively small list of animals was followed by a second edition in 1939 that included chapters on a variety of subjects related to North American big game. It wasn't until 1950 that the overall system of measurements was refined into what is widely used today. This scoring system was not a list of hunters who were good enough to harvest trophies, but rather a list to celebrate the animals that represented exceptional specimens of their species.

The Boone and Crockett scoring system differs from others because there are deductions from the score for asymmetry and for antler points that deviate from the normal configuration. Some argue that an animal "ought to get credit for all he grew," but that was not the original intent of the system. According to Eldon "Buck" Buckner, Vice President and head of the Records Committee, "The Boone and Crockett scoring system was not designed to simply represent the biggest trophy, but instead celebrates the taking of an ideal representative of a species that was taken in fair chase." The idea was that a good hunter has to be more selective to harvest the ideal trophy within legal and ethical means. This element of hunter ethics remains such a foundation of the Club that anyone wanting to enter an animal in the book has to sign a notarized affidavit stating that the animal was taken according to the Club's fair chase standards.

The growing number of records in the database chronicles the success of the North American model of wildlife conservation and remains a valuable source of information on big game across the continent. Currently, more than 36,000 trophies have been accepted for inclusion in the book. The number or density of records coming from different areas of the country tells us something about the environment, genetics, and perhaps the management in those areas. For example, the upper Mississippi River valley and, of course, South Texas have consistently produced more trophy whitetails than other parts of their range. The former because of the rich, black soil and lush habitat; the latter because of the quality deer habitat and lower historic buck harvest rates. Such detailed measurements of physical differences throughout a species' geographic range can help biologists determine meaningful units of conservation and help refine the classification of subspecies.

Through the decades, the Boone and Crockett Club has stayed true to its rich traditions forged more than 120 years ago. Roosevelt would be proud to see the great successes we are achieving in wildlife conservation, built squarely on the foundation of guiding principles he set forth and fostered through the Boone and Crockett Club. Today, the Club is still limited to 100 regular members (they are different members!), but other hunter-conservationists, with skills and abilities desired by the Club, are sometimes invited to become Professional Members. In addition to this core group, anyone who adheres to the Club’s ethical standards can become an Associate which includes a subscription to “Fair Chase” and other benefits. The Club remains at the forefront of conservation through several active programs. Obviously big game record-keeping is a big part of the Club, but guiding conservation policy is still where they make their greatest impact. In 2000, the Club led the foundation of the America Wildlife Conservation Partners (AWCP) consisting of a coalition of 35 conservation organizations. Just as the Boone and Crockett Club unified efforts of the early Game Protective Associations, so did the AWCP solidify the efforts of these groups representing 4.5 million hunter-conservationists.

The Club’s William I. Spencer Grants-in-Aid Program helps fund wildlife research on North American big game and aid in their conservation on a continent-wide scale. There are also programs for conservation education, hunter and conservation ethics (including a whole website devoted to hunter ethics, www.huntfairchase.com) and a growing number of Boone and Crockett Club endowed chairs in wildlife conservation at universities to make sure our hunting heritage gains exposure among our educated youth. In 2005, Texas A&M University became one of the latest to establish a Boone and Crockett Endowed Chair for Wildlife and Conservation Policy. Not content to wait until college age, the Club has a very strong K-12 Conservation Program to teach kids how conservation really works and why hunting continues to be vital to conserving wildlife.

The future of hunting will depend heavily on how the non-hunting public views hunters. This is why the Boone and Crockett’s century-old emphasis on ethics and fair chase will be so important to preserve our heritage as conservationists. Hunting will continue to be supported as long as the general public is told the truth, and views hunters as an integral part of past, present, and future conservation efforts. Conservationists are facing a growing list of new challenges that must be addressed with the measured and thoughtful commitment of the early Boone and Crockett Club members.

The second part of your message seems to related to the negative effects of trophy hunting on the gene pool. There is a lot of misunderstanding of this issue. I have just submitted a scientific paper to the Journal of Wildlife Management that will be published as part of a special section related to this topic. I can't share that draft while it is in review but I can share an earlier magazine article you may be interested in. The peer-reviewed scientific paper is much better, but this will give you an idea of my thoughts.
http://www.deernut.com/Documents/IsTrophyHuntingDraining.pdf

Velo Dog, thank you for being open to contrary information and for caring about hunting and wildlife enough to engage other people on the subject.

Jim Deere

Attachments

• IsTrophyHuntingDraining.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:
My point is short and sweet:

Ban names in trophy books.

It's about the specimen and that is long term data of value.

Your name in that book will eventually result in your grandchildren being treated the same as descendants of war criminals. Antis will destroy your descendants and they will be persecuted for "the sins of the father".

Everything online lives forever.

Solution: all names stricken. Every hunter is issued a user number. If you privately, Mr. 19326478 want to share that is your number, Joe Smith, I can search and see all record animals hunted by that user ID.

The animals are still recorded. The data is still useful. Privacy is still preserved. Recognition can still be given out.

There. I solved all the problems. :)

Hello fellow Hunters,

Welcoming the predictable flak, but evidently one or two mistook my previous post to say that, B&C has done little or nothing for today's over all abundance of deer species.
If some of you say they have done this category of game animals some great deeds and measurable good, then I will have to take your word for it at this stage.
Because, I do not know if they have or not.

However, my comments earlier were specifically in reference to B&C announcing that, their mission is to encourage the taking of older animals.
Repeating my thoughts here on that one statement ...... their practices however seem to encourage the taking of longest antlered / largest antlered animals.
Someone enlighten me here if B&C has some recognition mechanism in place for the most elderly / no longer breeding animal taken.

Their recent statement seems to say that's what they encourage but their book keeping criteria seems to indicate they are just another tape measure worshiping cult.
And if a simple knob head like me can see through this sort of verbal "smoke and mirrors" double talk, so can the non hunting general public.
(Not talking about anti-hunters here, as they are insatiable haters who cannot be reasoned with in any way).

Likewise, I repeat myself here on the deer biology question:
Do deer regress in antler size as they become elderly ?
My information says yes which sort of casts doubt on B&C's aforementioned "official statement".
What say you fellows?

If we don't tidy up our own ranks, the enemy will scrub us fiercely (in the voting booths).

I'm just sayin'
Velo Dog.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you