Bookstores in Johannesburg?

jpr9954

AH elite
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
My first trip to Africa will probably be to the Eastern Cape of South Africa. I'm looking at 2023 now so that my pilot brother-in-law can make the trip with me.

I love books and I love bookstores. You'd never guess that my mother was a librarian :)

Are there any bookstores reasonably close to the airport (or in the airport) in Johannesburg that might have a good selection of new and used books on hunting Africa? I'm looking for stuff that you would not normally find here in the United States. The price of shipping from SA to the US is pretty high and somewhat spotty so I thought if I could find some there, I'd just pack it in my luggage.

I've heard of a store called Collector's Treasury which is reputed to be the largest bookstore in Africa but I gather it is in a somewhat sketchy part of the city. I could be wrong on that. I'm not adverse to taking a taxi if need be.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would not be going around looking for a book in Joburg! Just my 2 cents.

I would suggest that instead of just looking for hunters in South Africa that you add looking for European explorers not only in South Africa but the other southern African countries also. I have visited the Capital of Old Bookstores, (in my opinion) on several occasions, and that is London. There are many books of Europeans exploring the African Continent in the 1800s. And they were virtually all hunters, probably out of necessity, but not always. There are many stores in London that are some 200 years old, with many of their books were published more than 100 years ago. Two books to help you get started although not specific to South Africa are: Stanley by Tim Jeal and Explorers of the Nile by Tim Jeal. Both are modern era books about 1800s Africa. Good luck and enjoy the journey of hunting for good books!

Last edited:
I really like Safari Outdoor. Not a book store, more like an RSA Cabelas but they had a wonderful book selection at their shop in Stellenbosch. I've been to the Pretoria store as well. I'd be willing to bet that it is worth a stop in their Joburg store too.

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing a bookstore in the airport. The nearest mall with a bookstore is 10 minutes drive away (East Rand Mall or Festival Place Mall). They both have an Exclusive Books. This a general bookstore that sells all the usual new books and not a speciality store.

I would not venture to Collector's Treasury alone or take a taxi there (maybe an Uber is an option) as it is in a dodgy part of Johannesburg CBD. To be honest the whole of the CBD is dodgy! Id you do go then it's about a 25 minute drive from the airport.

There is a small used book store in Edenvale next to the windmill that has some interesting books but I haven't been in there for a few years. Edenvale is about 15 mins from the airport.

Exclusive books website: https://www.exclusivebooks.co.za/

Hope the web address is allowed...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.53.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.53.25 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
There are two very good bookstores in Johannesburg airport. I’m always really impressed at the selection. Hopefully covid hasn’t changed anything.

That's correct. Forgot about the air-side stores, was only thinking about land-side.

I really like Safari Outdoor. Not a book store, more like an RSA Cabelas but they had a wonderful book selection at their shop in Stellenbosch. I've been to the Pretoria store as well. I'd be willing to bet that it is worth a stop in their Joburg store too.
I've seen their website. Still aggravated that US law forces me to pay a $200 tax and wait months for approval for a suppressor when I could just walk into that store and buy one off the shelf.

I hadn't thought of them for books but that's great.

Pretoria has a few nice ones. Try Zimbi or the one in Groenkloof opposite the hospital. They have some nice Africana books. I bought a first edition of Anderson’s 1850 classic “Lake Ngami” there a few years ago.

@jpr9954
On yout first trip to Africa, you will find Johanessburg airport, very fascinating.
You can buy there assortment of books, by WIlbur Smith, plus number of Safari hunting books, plus few hunting magazines, man-magnum comes now to mind.

Then, on the way home, you will be able to buy there, springbok and zebra skins, local art, carved wood, various leathers, drums, bags etc, safari clothes, hats, chess in local wood figures carved in african motives, etc. (Bring a large hand carry, empty bag, to fill it up while waiting for international flight on your way home)

@jpr9954
On yout first trip to Africa, you will find Johanessburg airport, very fascinating.
You can buy there assortment of books, by WIlbur Smith, plus number of Safari hunting books, plus few hunting magazines, man-magnum comes now to mind.

Then, on the way home, you will be able to buy there, springbok and zebra skins, local art, carved wood, various leathers, drums, bags etc, safari clothes, hats, chess in local wood figures carved in african motives, etc. (Bring a large hand carry, empty bag, to fill it up while waiting for international flight on your way home)
I checked out the airport's directory and saw a book store. I didn't realize that you could get all the rest of this stuff! That sounds a lot better than your average US airport.

@jpr9954
Give me some time, I will post some pictures of Johanesburg airport! (need time to dig them out on my USB drive)
It is also much better then average international airport that I have seen. (and I travel for business several times per year, visited so far 63 countries)
Just stay tuned!

I don't recall seeing a bookstore in the airport. The nearest mall with a bookstore is 10 minutes drive away (East Rand Mall or Festival Place Mall). They both have an Exclusive Books. This a general bookstore that sells all the usual new books and not a speciality store.

I would not venture to Collector's Treasury alone or take a taxi there (maybe an Uber is an option) as it is in a dodgy part of Johannesburg CBD. To be honest the whole of the CBD is dodgy! Id you do go then it's about a 25 minute drive from the airport.

There is a small used book store in Edenvale next to the windmill that has some interesting books but I haven't been in there for a few years. Edenvale is about 15 mins from the airport.

Exclusive books website: https://www.exclusivebooks.co.za/

Hope the web address is allowed...
Exclusive Books has a store in the airport from what I see.

Thanks for the advice on venturing into the CBD. That was the impression I got from a far. If a local says that, I take that even more seriously.

I would suggest that instead of just looking for hunters in South Africa that you add looking for European explorers not only in South Africa but the other southern African countries also. I have visited the Capital of Old Bookstores, (in my opinion) on several occasions, and that is London. There are many books of Europeans exploring the African Continent in the 1800s. And they were virtually all hunters, probably out of necessity, but not always. There are many stores in London that are some 200 years old, with many of their books were published more than 100 years ago. Two books to help you get started although not specific to South Africa are: Stanley by Tim Jeal and Explorers of the Nile by Tim Jeal. Both are modern era books about 1800s Africa. Good luck and enjoy the journey of hunting for good books!
I haven't been to London since I was in college doing a semester abroad in 1978. I do remember that London had lots of great bookstores. I may see what they have to offer by mail as I really rather not have to transit through the UK with firearms.

I haven't been to London since I was in college doing a semester abroad in 1978. I do remember that London had lots of great bookstores. I may see what they have to offer by mail as I really rather not have to transit through the UK with firearms.
Can't blame you there. My favorite the last time I was there in 2016 was Hatchards in Piccadilly.

@jpr9954
Some photos from Johanessburg airport, as promised yesterday - for your eyes only! ;)

IMG_2555.JPG
IMG_2557.JPG
IMG_2558.JPG
IMG_2559.JPG
IMG_2560.JPG
IMG_2561.JPG
IMG_2562.JPG
IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_2564.JPG
IMG_2565.JPG
IMG_2566.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised as well!
In most "civilised", politically correct international airports (such as in Europe) you cannot find zebra skins, hunting books and gun magazines.
Here you can.
On the way back home, take empty hand luggage bag, you will find something to stuff in it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg