Hookboy88

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hello everyone, I am booked for a hunt in Namibia next year.

I booked with Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris. I choose them due to the reviews I read on here about them and about Namibia in general.

For those of you on here that have already been down this road, what would you recommend for making a first safari a good trip.

I guess I am looking for things you wish you had known to do or bring on your first time.

I greatly enjoy hunting and I am looking forward to chasing animals, but this trip will be far more about experiencing Africa for me.

A big congrats on your trip! I am sure you will have a fantastic time!

Please keep us in mind for helping to get your trophies home!

- Tom

Congrats on the booking!

My advice:
1) Take more pics than you think you need
2) Take a journal to write in or at least write notes from each day
3)Stop to smell the roses, take it all in and enjoy all the beauty of the area, not just the pursuit of the game

Hookboy88 congrats. You have a whole year to plan, research and plan some more. Get plenty of practice shooting off sticks. You will be expected to use them in Africa. Don't over-pack. Three sets of clothes max, with 4 sets of undies. One set of clothes in your carry-on, one in your checked bag. Do not put someone else's rifle in your bag. Confirm with your outfitter ahead of time where will the hunts will be conducted. Find out if yours is the only party / group in camp. Confirm availability of wi-fi if that is important to you. Purchase a one month International Calling Plan ahead of your departure. Be sure to cover all the bases so there are no surprises at the end of your hunt.

Research the native species of game where you will be. I’d pick them to hunt.

As already mentioned take more pictures than you think you want, ie, landscapes, sunrise & set, sitting around the fire, where you stay, any flora and fauna different or unusual, etc.

Ask your PH & tracker about everything you see. Make notes.

Practice, practice, practice off sticks! Learn your max range off them!

Don’t take too much. Above all, enjoy the heck out of your first Africa adventure! It’s not likely it will be your last!

Congratulations!
I’m waiting for next year too for my first African hunt. I hope you are more patient than me.
Loads of good advice here, I booked. “The website made me do it”

Congratulations!
I’m waiting for next year too for my first African hunt. I hope you are more patient than me.
Loads of good advice here, I booked. “The website made me do it”

I am very excited about it. Can’t wait to get there and see Africa.

Cpr0312, Shootist43 and Ridgewalker all hit the nail on the head.
My advice: Talk to the camp staff. Leave little bags of candy and a thank you note a few times during the week for the people who clean your room. Have your picture taken with them.
Other than that, some tips I’d like to pass on...
*Use a travel agent that specializes in hunters. (Travel With Guns, Gracey Travel and several others)
*Take a spare riflescope. I’ve never needed it, but, you never know.
*You don’t need a ton of gear. But do take clothes that layer for warmth. Also, a pair of gloves. On my first safari, I took a duffle FULL of stuff. Second trip: same duffle but reduced by ~25%. Next trip: smaller duffle and still less gear. (I do over do the first aid/ medicine stuff, but I did need some on my first trip.)
More than anything else: HAVE FUN!

Research the native species of game where you will be. I’d pick them to hunt.

As already mentioned take more pictures than you think you want, ie, landscapes, sunrise & set, sitting around the fire, where you stay, any flora and fauna different or unusual, etc.

Ask your PH & tracker about everything you see. Make notes.

Practice, practice, practice off sticks! Learn your max range off them!

Don’t take too much. Above all, enjoy the heck out of your first Africa adventure! It’s not likely it will be your last!

Yes^^

The locals and camp staff all are great to visit with! Take lots of pics of the simplest stuff and people that "say" Africa. You'll find the looking and tracking and hunting phenomenal but the evenings around the fire... MAGIC ! and in the long run what you may miss most when away from it!
Kalahari boma copy.jpg

Yes^^

The locals and camp staff all are great to visit with! Take lots of pics of the simplest stuff and people that "say" Africa. You'll find the looking and tracking and hunting phenomenal but the evenings around the fire... MAGIC ! and in the long run what you may miss most when away from it!
View attachment 289384

Hey I know that place. I’ve had quite a few cocktails around that fire.

"Hey I know that place. I’ve had quite a few cocktails around that fire.
emoji16.png
emoji16.png
"

Thought you might :) Just something about the Kalahari- can't think of a better place to be or better people to be with.. including these two characters!
Besa and Kamuru copy.jpg

Last edited:
Three words: Noise Cancelling Headphones. :sleep:

You're going to love Namibia, and the Namibians themselves. Great people, great country. Most every outfitters lodge will have Wifi, so you can use WhatsApp to text and make phone calls, so no international calling plan is necessary. I was too busy hunting to worry about calls and texts during the day, in the field.

I'll 2nd the rec for Travel With Guns, they do great work. If you're going through J'burg and have to spend the night, the two best options IMO are the City Lodge hotel (nice hotel too) connected to the airport, or something a little different is Africa Sky Guest House. They are both great but I love Africa Sky, as it has the best food and free beer as part of the VIP Hunter's package (room, food, beer meet/greet at airport, SAPS permits).

Soak it all in buddy, you're in for the adventure of 10 lifetimes.

You're going to love Namibia, and the Namibians themselves. Great people, great country. Most every outfitters lodge will have Wifi, so you can use WhatsApp to text and make phone calls, so no international calling plan is necessary. I was too busy hunting to worry about calls and texts during the day, in the field.

I'll 2nd the rec for Travel With Guns, they do great work. If you're going through J'burg and have to spend the night, the two best options IMO are the City Lodge hotel (nice hotel too) connected to the airport, or something a little different is Africa Sky Guest House. They are both great but I love Africa Sky, as it has the best food and free beer as part of the VIP Hunter's package (room, food, beer meet/greet at airport, SAPS permits).

If I have to overnight how far away is Africa Sky Guest House from the Airport?

Hookboy88, Pay attention to the advice. And enjoy every minute you are there! Good Luck!

I stayed at Africa Sky on both of my trips. As JDRaider stated, it is a great place with great service.

Enjoy yourself.

Find out what type of terrain you will be hunting and if the outfitter says hilly or mountainous be prepared to walk or jog up hill and shoot with an elevated heart rate. Don't go after your top animal first, start with a smaller antelope or warthog. Use a safari vest instead of a backpack to carry your small gear, its much easier and faster to access vest pockets than it is to take off your pack every time you need something. Put your money into a good rifle scope not your binos, its your PH's job to spot game its your job to shoot them. Plan on taking all your shots at less than 100 yards but be prepared to shoot 300.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg