Bontebok and Mountain Zebra Import Status?

traviselmore

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey guys, Headed for on my 4th safari in May and wanted to see if you all knew what the current import status of Bontebok and Hartman's Mountain Zebra (hunted in SA) was? I know Bontebok had been backed up the last year or so and wasn't sure if Hartman's mountain zebra were importable to the U.S. at this time? Thanks in advance for the help.

You can import Hartman's zebra . Who ever exports your trophies will pull a permit for it after you have taken it. The permit is an extra $100.00.
Bontebok you must apply for permit before you leave the US. If successful it will generally take about 8 months to see the permit if it gets approved. The permit is also open for public comment before you can get it. Strange I know, but that is how it works. You can get a permit for Bontebok after you have shot it , by the rules. But I have never seen it happen yet. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I personally haven't seen it !

Both are CITES Appendix II.
They require Export permits from the country of origin.

Since you have to deal with the US Government. They want their own little piece of paper as well.
NOt to be confused with CITE Appendix I species that require an CITES Import Permit.

Common name: Bontebok
Scientific name: Damaliscus pygargus pygargus
Synonym:Damaliscus dorcas dorcas
Distribution: South Africa
CITES listing: Appendix II (06/06/1981)

Common name: Hartmann's Mountain Zebra
Scientific name: Equus zebra hartmannae
Distribution: Namibia, South Africa
CITES listing: Appendix II (28/06/1979)
Photo: © Peter Dollinger (taken at Etosha National Park, Namibia)

Other threads on the topic.

Attachments

• permit-application-form-3-200-22-import-of-sport-hunted-bontebok-trophies-from-south-africa.pdf
    129.6 KB · Views: 58
  • factsheet-import-bontebok-sport-hunted-trophy-2013.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!