Bone-sharing And ‘eparate Rooms’ Help Hyenas, Porcupines, Warthogs Use Same Den

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
https://www.rfi.fr/en/africa/202305...-help-hyenas-porcupines-warthogs-use-same-den

On paper they’re the unlikeliest of bedfellows. Spotted hyenas are known to jump at the chance to crunch a porcupine or warthog, both herbivores who don’t stand a chance against the formidable predators. So how come they can share a home?

Researchers working in the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy in northern Kenya say they’ve found evidence all three mammals used the same den in two sites in a three-year period – and quite possibly the hyenas involved didn’t eat up their bedfellows once they were all outside.
“We’ve been monitoring hyena dens for a long time, but we hadn’t seen this before,” said Marc Dupuis-Désormeaux, a conservation biologist from York University in Toronto, who is the lead author of the study published in the African Journal of Ecology.

A number of factors may have facilitated this unlikely cohabitation: a shared fridge, different bed-chambers and, crucially, the fact that at such close quarters the hyenas were no longer able to deploy their greatest hunting weapon – stealth.

Continue Reading

Screenshot_71.jpg

Crazy to imagine a hyena dragging a bone back to its den and then the same hyena allowing a porcupine to gnaw on it. Meanwhile the wart hogs are snoring in the room next door.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!