Bolt action rifle for dangerous game!

DISCLAIMER:

Everyone please understand;

I do not advocate, endorse, recommend of even suggest taking a 416 Rigby to 60,000. I think personally it might be safe and I will admit here to having done it but again, not something I recommend. I was using a CZ 550 that had been weel checked out and I proceeded very slowly

The recoil is way past "substantial" and far from enjoyable. Actually rather unpleasant really now that I think on it.

It does demonstrate the capability of the cartridge and that is about all.

Your dentist, on the other hand, will love you for trying it.

The best advice concerning antics such as this comes from my sainted , grey haired Mother:

" Son, just because you can doesn't mean you should"

The .404 is a great round with as you mention lots of history and a great name. Its kick is not much more than a .375 in a lighter rifle, weight is everything. Mine weighs around 10.5 lbs., a CZ Safari with scope. The stature of a shooter has little to do with felt recoil. If you think about it, a big heavy guy will feel more recoil effect than a man of smaller stature. The big guy has more weight to resist the recoil and thus will feel it more, while the lighter shooter will be pushed back easier lessening the kick to the shoulder. A good soft recoil pad goes a long ways in reducing it too. My CZ came so equipped and recoil is not bad even from the bench.

What type of Dangerous Game? Big Five? Hippos? Crocs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg