Bolt action or Double 375 H&H

Norden-hunt

AH member
Reaction score
Hello all hunters! A weapons issue for you. I am thinking of buying a rifle with a caliber of 375 h & h. The question is whether it should be a Bolt action or Double rifle? Pros and cons besides the obvious fact that you have three or four cartridges in a Bolt. Have no experience hunting with a Double. Thanks!

From a perspective of a working man, I would say, price is the main issue here.
So, bolt action, is economic option.

However, reading many of the opinions and feebacks on this great forum, I came to conclusion that general concensus on this forum is, bolt action is for client, double rifle is more a back up rifle for PH.
Its not the rule, but the majority of opinions that I have read, tend in this direction.

However, if you can get good, accurate, reliable Double rifle, go for it.
Bolt action, in 375 will give you also an option for longer accurate shot.
In double, will more depend on how it is regulated, etc.... but generally, double is close range weapon.
And it will depend on what you will be hunting, and where. I would say, a bit more range you will get with bolt action.

If you want to shoot the nadgers off a Gnat at 100yds with a scope - get a bolt action
If you want versatility of varying bullet weight and loading - get a bolt action
If you want a magazine - get a bolt action
If you want to save some cash....but ultimately wished you hadn't - get a bolt action
If however, you want to feel the thump of your pulse in your body and the blood coursing through your veins as you get up close and personal to a Buffalo with a rifle that'll shoot a two inch group at 50 yds - get a double........and some stout underwear.

Of course, other views are available.

FN

I have to agree with the other posters on the practicality and utility of a bolt rifle--and a Model 70 Safari Express would be the right choice. However, I bought a Model 70 for a hunt in 2018, then found a good deal on a gently used Chapuis double in 375 H&H. I left the Model 70 at home and took the double for my buffalo hunt and a 300 winmag for plains game. As I've posted before, I love the double and will be taking it with me again in July.

Final decision will be based on:
1. OP's budget, dedicated for 375 gun.
2. OP's plan of what he will be huting, and expected range in the field.

If I could find a 375 CRF rifle, in my country where nobody hunts with 375, I am sure, it will be much easier, in USA.

A double, but not just any double. A Heym ticks all the boxes, and you can add a QD scope or a red dot. Now you have pulsing veins near and far.
And the housekeeping money is gone also....

;)

HWL

I am looking to get a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in 375H&H, but they are sold out everywhere...
GB is showing 8 of them from $655 to $4K.

There are also 3 Sako, 2 MRC's and a Dakota.

It always makes sense to have a look at Brno....

They are affordable, reliable, accurate....and claw feed.

My .375 is a true sevenshooter, and you will not run out of ammo while charged ;)

HWL

Last edited:
Win 70 Safari Express. You can get bullets from 220gr to 350 gr, range out to whatever you think you can handle, save a whole bunch of cash which can be used for hunting, larger magazine capacity and better resale value should you ever be so silly as to entertain such an awful thought..

It always makes sense to have a look at Brno....

They are affordable, reliable, accurate....

My .375 is a true sevenshooter, and you will not run out of ammo while charged ;)

HWL
If you need seven shots to stop a charge HWL it is underpants you will be running out of...

If you need seven shots to stop a charge HWL it is underpants you will be running out of..
Better to stop it with seven shots and dirty underpants, than not to stop it with six.... :cool:

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg