Bolt 375 H&H VS Lever 45/70

Colorado Luckydog

AH senior member
Reaction score
I was talking with my buddy about me getting a 375 H&H. He asked me why? I said I'm not sure but just kind of wanted one. I would probably sell my Henry 45/70 and replace it with a Browning X-bolt 375 H&H. He told me that the 375 H&H was out dated to which I said Bull S@#$! It would only be used in the states including Alaska. For a gun with open sites and to use for a brush gun and short range stuff, what do you think of the 375H&H VS 45/70?

+1,500 fps, +2000 ft-lbs, +a physically larger gun. Apples and oranges (3006 case capacity vs 375). It has more stopping power and range. Bottle rocket vs. Cannon. A properly handloaded 4570 lever might be a better short range gun (smaller, reloads quicker, adequate energy,) but the 375 def has more walloping power and range (a longer bbl bolt is not going to handle as well in brush.) It's literally twice as much gun. No comparison, ballistically. A heavier 375 with 270-300 gr bullets is more of a pleasure to shoot than a light 4570 with 500 grainers! Whatever you want, and whatever saves you from biting brown bear better. IF only using the 375 for short-range, etc. use the even more powerful (higher E and SD/penetrating power) 350 gr bullets. A lot of "antiquities" here on Africahunting.com. lol Is not the less powerful, bison-slaying gun the antique here (42 yrs older-1800s)? That antique is the cartridge from which nearly all of the modern belted magnums were developed.

I would agree with the statement that the 45/70 has improved significantly in the last 20 years where the 375 kinda just keeps doing what it has been doing.

The 375 will certainly have significant more energy at 100 yards - not sure you would need it though because the magnum 45/70's still are going to hit in that 2300-2400 ftlbs and penetrate plenty deep. If you are hunting where 100 yards is a very long shot, I'd probably just keep the 45/70 for speed of reloading. If you anticipate the average shot being over 75 yards or you are hunting coastal brown bears, I'd probably jump to the 375.

The stainless Browning is a wonderful rifle (albeit probably not worth the pricetag). With a scope you are going to be probably 8 1/4 pounds. Most people on here think that's too light, but I've found a 8 pound 375 pretty manageable - especially if you are used to that henry and magnum loads.

I agree the 375hh wins the cool factor b/c of it's massive cartridge size, but don't overlook the 338win mag too. Probably the best cartridge for North America

Last edited:
Owns and likes 45/70, says that the .375H&H is outdated.

1650144982931.png

I have both calibres. They are very different animals and pretty hard to compare the two. If you want a .375 then you should get one. You only go through life once, and you can always go back to 45/70 if the .375 isn’t what you expected. In regards to the rifle, the x-bolts are excellent guns but waaaaaay too light for a .375. I would look at a CZ or Winchester Safari Express. Heavier rifles that will help with the recoil and easier to resell, in my opinion.

I have both calibres. They are very different animals and pretty hard to compare the two. If you want a .375 then you should get one. You only go through life once, and you can always go back to 45/70 if the .375 isn’t what you expected. In regards to the rifle, the x-bolts are excellent guns but waaaaaay too light for a .375. I would look at a CZ or Winchester Safari Express. Heavier rifles that will help with the recoil and easier to resell, in my opinion.
I'll check the Winchester and the CZ out.

I've had multiple 45-70 rifles and I have multiple 375H&H rifles. Most of the 45-70s were lever actions. All the 375H&H are bolt action.

The 45-70 rifles I owned kicked harder, had less power, and were almost as expensive to feed as my 375H&H rifles. 45-70 is also not as versatile as the 375H&H. The only thing the 45-70 can claim superiority over the 375H&H is age. However, the venerable 375H&H is an old timer in it's own right and deserves every bit of respect it's garnered in the roughly 100 years of it's existence. Long live the King.

My advice, keep the 45-70 and go buy a 375H&H. If you can only have one ditch the 45-70 and buy a 375H&H. I've owned Browning X-Bolts. Good rifles but too light and skinny for 375H&H IMO. I would have concerns about the durability of a wood stocked 375H&H X-Bolt. A synthetic stocked one might hold up but chambered in 375H&H it might be a bit of a handful. YMMV.

I would agree with the statement that the 45/70 has improved significantly in the last 20 years where the 375 kinda just keeps doing what it has been doing.

The 375 will certainly have significant more energy at 100 yards - not sure you would need it though because the magnum 45/70's still are going to hit in that 2300-2400 ftlbs and penetrate plenty deep. If you are hunting where 100 yards is a very long shot, I'd probably just keep the 45/70 for speed of reloading. If you anticipate the average shot being over 75 yards or you are hunting coastal brown bears, I'd probably jump to the 375.

The stainless Browning is a wonderful rifle (albeit probably not worth the pricetag). With a scope you are going to be probably 8 1/4 pounds. Most people on here think that's too light, but I've found a 8 pound 375 pretty manageable - especially if you are used to that henry and magnum loads.

I agree the 375hh wins the cool factor b/c of it's massive cartridge size, but don't overlook the 338win mag too. Probably the best cartridge for North America
+1 on the .338WM for NA game with my A Bolt! I've killed a number of elk with it with ONE shot using those super premium Remington Core Lokts! LOL

I'm with @R eight ... In the same way coconuts and grapes are mostly roundish, a .45/70 and a .375 are both calibers. Similarities fall away rapidly after that.

I own a .45/70. I killed a buffalo and a zebra with it. I like it. I do not find it unpleasant to shoot. I also am under no illusions: the .375 is a superior caliber for pretty much most situations.

I've had multiple 45-70 rifles and I have multiple 375H&H rifles. Most of the 45-70s were lever actions. All the 375H&H are bolt action.

The 45-70 rifles I owned kicked harder, had less power, and were almost as expensive to feed as my 375H&H rifles. 45-70 is also not as versatile as the 375H&H. The only thing the 45-70 can claim superiority over the 375H&H is age. However, the venerable 375H&H is an old timer in it's own right and deserves every bit of respect it's garnered in the roughly 100 years of it's existence. Long live the King.

My advice, keep the 45-70 and go buy a 375H&H. If you can only have one ditch the 45-70 and buy a 375H&H. I've owned Browning X-Bolts. Good rifles but too light and skinny for 375H&H IMO. I would have concerns about the durability of a wood stocked 375H&H X-Bolt. A synthetic stocked one might hold up but chambered in 375H&H it might be a bit of a handful. YMMV.
My buddy's 18.5" barreled Marlin .45-70 has more felt recoil to ME than my CZ 550 .458WM! Poor stock design I'm guessing?

That's the barrel length of mine @CoElkHunter. But mine has a very generous recoil pad. I have never shot a .458 so I cannot comment on a comparison.

I own and reload for both the 375 hh and 45-70
My opinion is a 45-70 is to a 375 like a 375 is to a 416rigby , I own and shoot all three calibers a lot and love each differently too hard to compare as all 3 are fabulous rounds

My 16" marlin 1895 45-70 with my full throttle loads hit my shoulder like a stout 416rigby out of my cz550

Short thick bushbusting ride by my side gun is my marlin , stop a t-rex mean critter I'll grab my 416, everything in between my 375hh

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,