Nhoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe
Hi all, had an interesting observation today. I bought a brno .22 that was made in 1948 and have been fixing it up. I was struggling to get it to group and so I started cleaning the barrel with solvents and bronze brushing. I probably soaked solvent 15 times for an hour or two each time. I managed 1" groups at 50 m and decided that was about all I could get.Barrel and action were rusted so I cleaned it up and started rust blueing. So after the boil, I brushed the bore with a bronze brush and it was full of black gunk. Put a patch through and even more carbon sludge came out. So my theory is the boil loosened the carbon better than the solvent. Anyone have a similar experience ? I reckon it is worth a boil if you have stubborn carbon or a rifle that hasn't been cleaned for a while. Totally subjective but the area of rifling in front of the chamberhas much crisper, sharper rifling than before.

The black gunk isn't carbon, its a ferrous oxide (Fe(II) ). Rust is a ferric (Fe(III) oxide. Boiling rusty steel in deionised water converts the ferric oxide to ferrous oxide.

The black gunk isn't carbon, its a ferrous oxide (Fe(II) ). Rust is a ferric (Fe(III) oxide. Boiling rusty steel in deionised water converts the ferric oxide to ferrous oxide.
I've rust blued a few guns and never had the bore rust. Just got done doing a 404 Jeffery and there was no rust in the bore when I finished.

There was no rust in the bore. The outside was treated with rusting solution but not the bore. What i noticed is that the boiling softened and loosened carbon in the bore and when i cleaned the bore for re assembly, a whole bunch of carbon came out.

Thanks for posting this, I had in mind to boil a couple of rifles I have that show signs of rust, to turn it to black, but now I see maybe some of the real messed up .303 barrels I have might benefit from a tickle up & I have worn out many brushes on stuffed .303 barrels & a few have come up after a ton of work, elbow grease & bore cleaner, better to boil first & then clean maybe ?

Give it a go and then maybe you can add to the thread. I did a lot of solvent/ bore brush/ swab out before boiling and I am convinced that the boiling did more loosening of stubborn carbon than the solvents. Especially just infront of the chamber.

I haven’t boiled a barrel, however I have used electro chemical to take out deep set fouling in old military surplus.

You plug the muzzle with a cork and the barreled action in a vise with the breach up and fill the barrel with ammonia.

Insert a metal rod into the barrel and fix so that it is hanging in the bore but not touching the sides or any other metal part.

Hook a 6volt lantern battery up with ground on the action and positive to the metal rod….. and you better have a bucket under it before you connect the battery.

The amount of fouling that used to come out of old Mausers always amazed me.

Also if you try this do it no longer than 20-30min because once the fouling is totally removed it will start to pit the barrel; this method isn’t supposed to get it squeaky clean, but rather break fouling loose.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg