Bob Nelson convinced me - 35 Whelen

@Shootist43 I think he sent me your 4064 loads or at least some 4064 load data. I look forward to trying it all out.

I was shocked to learn the barrel will be delivered within the week. This thing could be popping caps sooner rather than later. I just boxed up the blank and it will ship tomorrow. In the meantime, we will use another 700 stock to test etc.

@TOBY458 The Sportsman 78 was indeed very similar to a 700 ADL and produced only for a few years. It was essentially the same metal on a very cheap wood stock (this was before synthetic). Some had a round bolt handle while others have the same bolt handle as the 700. This particular gun has the same bolt handle. Prior to the gun buying rush, a 78 could be found for much less than a 700 and made great donors.

As a side note the Sportsman 78 should not be confused with the 788 which is a very different gun.
I bought new Sportmans 78 in 243 Winchester sometime around 1984-1987, if I recall correctly.
I think it had a birch stock. I stripped the factory finish and refinished with 10-12 coats of Tru-Oil.
I don’t think I have seen a handful of Sportmans 78’s within 20-30 years. Seemed like a good purchase for the money.

Just a quick update: The barrel arrived in the mail a few days ago and I dropped it off at the gunsmith today. The action has been blue printed and is ready for the barrel. I also dropped off a dummy cartridge with a 225 grain Nosler bullet dropped inside to make a cartridge overall length of 3.4 inches, just as Bob prescribed. I will be dropping off the map and into the Turkey woods for a few weeks and this should be ready to go by the time I tag out... should I be so lucky to do so.

@Shootist43 I think he sent me your 4064 loads or at least some 4064 load data. I look forward to trying it all out.

I was shocked to learn the barrel will be delivered within the week. This thing could be popping caps sooner rather than later. I just boxed up the blank and it will ship tomorrow. In the meantime, we will use another 700 stock to test etc.

@TOBY458 The Sportsman 78 was indeed very similar to a 700 ADL and produced only for a few years. It was essentially the same metal on a very cheap wood stock (this was before synthetic). Some had a round bolt handle while others have the same bolt handle as the 700. This particular gun has the same bolt handle. Prior to the gun buying rush, a 78 could be found for much less than a 700 and made great donors.

As a side note the Sportsman 78 should not be confused with the 788 which is a very different gun.
I had a 78 that I loved. I just didnt like it being blind. All my 700s have a mag, I love the ease of dropping rounds.

I had a 78 that I loved. I just didnt like it being blind. All my 700s have a mag, I love the ease of dropping rounds.
Interesting , I’m completely the opposite I prefer the floorplate so as not to have a clip to loose.

I get overly cautious. Im not sure at what caliber starts giving enough recoil to give bullet compression. But a few of my friends have experienced a jam while shooting varmints out in the fields and only replacing 1 or 2 rounds on top.
So me being over cautious, I always seen that happening to me in a moment that would really count. And I hate cycling the bullets out. Lol

You will love your 35W. I have two. The cases are not compatible between the two once fired. The guns are a Nosler and a rebarrelled Win. M70. But they are both accurate and deadly. Love them both.

turkeys are very hard to sneek up on, the best way for me has been to call then in close in the spring season(mating season)

DSCN0380 (2).JPG
DSCN0411 (2).JPG
DSCN0349 (2).JPG
DSCN0502 (2).JPG
DSCN0535 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Uncle Bob the only member who has a thread starting in his name?
@Scrumbag
At least we can measure our intelligence, it may not be Einstein level but far higher than any Englishman. At least we don't drink hot beer.
Bob
Bob, you are right. We don't drink hot beer, I agree. But , yeah maybe I have had a few from the cardboard Kelvinator when the night is late.
Interesting , I’m completely the opposite I prefer the floorplate so as not to have a clip to loose.
Mmm, undecided. But Larry Porterfield does and he says, because that's the way it is.
You will love your 35W. I have two. The cases are not compatible between the two once fired. The guns are a Nosler and a rebarrelled Win. M70. But they are both accurate and deadly. Love them both.
Yeah, so does Bob
blind mag + crf = easy to unload and safe as well.
the bolt handle is never turned down.
bruce.
Bruce, good to see you back. You would like my .375H&H, :A Stirring:
We can agree on not turning the bolt down.

What was this about?

How many turkeys to tag out? We don’t have them here I’ve always been curious about them. Are they as difficult to sneak up on as geese?

Here in Oregon the spring limit is 3 birds. I have snuck up on a few but really the "hunt" is in calling the toms to the gun. It takes patience, decent calling skills, and a grasp of tactics. Conversely blind ass luck helps many people every year.

Blind Magazine

Yes the Sportsman 78 has a blind magazine well like the 700 ADL. My first centerfire rifle had a detachable magazine that was noisy that I grew to hate. My second was the ADL with the blind magazine that was silent and I grew to love. I have a few floor plated rifles now and they are nice, but I just would rather have the blind well. It pares best with my style of hunting.

@Scrumbag
Scummy they are great people as well. Without New Zealand we wouldn't have the ANZACS and without the Boers we wouldn't be hunting south Africa.
So stiff upper lip and have a nice cup of tea ya mad pommy git.
Bob
Wild boars? Boers? You've got wild Boers in OZ. No need to travel to Africa for them?

@Scrumbag
Scummy they are great people as well. Without New Zealand we wouldn't have the ANZACS and without the Boers we wouldn't be hunting south Africa.
So stiff upper lip and have a nice cup of tea ya mad pommy git.
Bob
Wild boars? Boers? You've got wild Boers in OZ. No need to travel to Africa for them?
Just think how cool you will feel when you step up to real guns....

I wouldn't own A .35 at all. Three times the bullet selection in .338, and .375. Buying a .35 is like when you're young, and want to ride that 250cc dirt bike that the big kids do, but settle for a 150cc and try to pretend it's it's same anyway. A .35 is almost a .375, but it will never get any closer.....it will always, ALMOST be good enough....hehehe oh, hey Bob, didn't see you there.
I love Bob's and Leslie Hetrick's .35 Whelens. Beautiful rifles in a great cartridge. So, I see no need for me to own one since they and others already do? I have my .338WM and .375 H and H so I'll have to make do with those. Sucks to be me I guess? Ha! Ha! Ha!

I love Bob's and Leslie Hetrick's .35 Whelens. Beautiful rifles in a great cartridge. So, I see no need for me to own one since they and others already do? I have my .338WM and .375 H and H so I'll have to make do with those. Sucks to be me I guess? Ha! Ha! Ha!
I absolutely loved my .338 WM. I just had to rib Bob a little though, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois