BLR and BPS advice

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Went to a gun show today and going back tomorrow. Found a couple guns for my left handed stepson, that I could use some advice on.

First a BPS that is a 31/2 inch. Will it feed 23/4 shells well? The price is right but we will use mostly 23/4 shells with a few 3s. There is several other BPSs here but are in near new shape and didn’t want to spend that much, and for me it comes with a cool story. That is always a plus for me to pass on a gun with some history.

The second is a BLR in 358. Three questions here. 1. What velocity can I get out of a 180 TTSX. 2. It looks to be new, what is it’s value? 3. What kind of accuracy can be expected out of a BLR.

Thank you very much for your help.

I'm currently on my third BPS. All have been 3" chambered 12 gauges. Obviously I like them, but the first two had occasional failures to feed. The type or length of shell didn't seem to matter; every once in a while they just wouldn't feed the next shell from the tube. Not sure what the fix would be since the first two were a long time ago, but it was probably a fairly simple fix. The one I have now has had no issues. As a lefty, they're my preferred pump gun.

All three of mine were/are older models with a hockey puck of a recoil pad. I wouldn't want to shoot 3.5" shells out of them; they kick plenty hard with 3." A new recoil pad will probably be in order if the gun in question is older. I still need to get around to fitting a decelerator on my current one.

I've never owned a BLR, but always thought they looked like a nice gun. The trigger is what has kept me from buying one.

I have a BLR in .30-06. It is the most accurate rifle I own. No one ever believes me… Less than half inch groups at 100 yards, day in, day out, with any factory ammunition I’ve tried so far.

I've had 3 BLR's. A pre '81 .358, A Lightweight Stainless Take Down in .358, and a Lightweight pistol grip 7mm08. The trigger wasn't bad at all on the 7mm08 but, the triggers on the .358s were not good, although could be managed.
I liked the pre '81 action but, not the lightweight models and none fit me very well. The 7mm08 was the most accurate at 1.5 MOA and both .358s were 2 MOA.
I got a bit over 2700 fps with the pre '81 using Speer 180 grain bullets so the TTSX should approach that speed.

You have probably already made your decision so this will be more informational than testmonial. I have both a BLR in 358 and a BPS in 12 gauge 3 inch chamber. First the BLR, the trigger as purchased was 9 lbs pull. I took it to Neil Jones in Erie PA and he worked the trigger down to 3 1/2 lbs that breaks like glass. It shoots 3/4 to 1 inch groups with anything I feed it. Next the BPS, you didn't say how old your step son is but I can tell you both of these guns are a mans gun and can be a handfull. The BPS is a great upland and turkey gun. I used it for several years with a rifled slug barrel for deer. It was very accurate. The down side is it is also heavy and long. I would not recommend nor have I ever met any game where a 3 1/2 " load was ever needed. They are brutal on the shoulder. I have fired a 470 NE double rifle that didn't kick nearly as ad. I would highly recommend both of these guns. I myself am left handed although I have a right master eye. I have taken deer shooting the BLR left handed when he showed up on the wrong side of the tree. Good luck with whatever your decision was.

Had a BPS in a 10ga, it cycled well, no issueswhatsoever. Only shot 3.5" so no comments on the shorter shells. Killed several turkeys with it.

It went down the road when I found something else I wanted more. Just did not use it much.

I didn’t buy either. I have lots of time till next year. The BPS was a cool gun, but I think I should find a 3 inch. Be a bit lighter and handier.

The BLR on 358 would be a fun caliber but ammo would be expensive or I would have to buy a new set of components and dies. I will probably see at a show later if he doesn’t sell it. But I am leaning toward a 360 buck hammer when they come out.

I agree on the 3 inch bps but cannot recommend the 360 buck hammer as it could be just another flash in the pan here today and gone tomorrow just like all the Sam and Adam cartridges that you can't get ammo for now. If you are worried about ammo availability go with a BLR in 308 or 30-06.

I agree on the 3 inch bps but cannot recommend the 360 buck hammer as it could be just another flash in the pan here today and gone tomorrow just like all the Sam and Adam cartridges that you can't get ammo for now. If you are worried about ammo availability go with a BLR in 308 or 30-06.

I need a 35 or bigger for deer in Iowa. I think the buck hammer will be ok probably not as popular as the legend because that can be had in a AR, but many deer hunters I believe will go for the lever for hunting in the straight wall states.

I need a 35 or bigger for deer in Iowa. I think the buck hammer will be ok probably not as popular as the legend because that can be had in a AR, but many deer hunters I believe will go for the lever for hunting in the straight wall states.
Damn auto correct I typed WSM and WSSM.

Went to a gun show today and going back tomorrow. Found a couple guns for my left handed stepson, that I could use some advice on.

First a BPS that is a 31/2 inch. Will it feed 23/4 shells well? The price is right but we will use mostly 23/4 shells with a few 3s. There is several other BPSs here but are in near new shape and didn’t want to spend that much, and for me it comes with a cool story. That is always a plus for me to pass on a gun with some history.

The second is a BLR in 358. Three questions here. 1. What velocity can I get out of a 180 TTSX. 2. It looks to be new, what is it’s value? 3. What kind of accuracy can be expected out of a BLR.

Thank you very much for your help.
@jamie Van Roekel
The go to man on the 358 in a BLR is @ Rick HOlbert. He has used his in Africa with great success. Using Paco Kelly's loads it's not far behind the factory loaded Whelen. Buy it NOW you won't regret it. After you shoot it you may not want to pass it on.
The Browning shot gun should feed all shells hassle free.
Bob

I didn’t buy either. I have lots of time till next year. The BPS was a cool gun, but I think I should find a 3 inch. Be a bit lighter and handier.

The BLR on 358 would be a fun caliber but ammo would be expensive or I would have to buy a new set of components and dies. I will probably see at a show later if he doesn’t sell it. But I am leaning toward a 360 buck hammer when they come out.
@jamie Van Roekel
You will forever regret not getting that 358. As for expensive ammo NO WAY JOSÉ. Grab a set of Lee Rob dies for 50 bucks a handful of 308 case. Lube the case and one pass thru the Lee fls and you have 358 cases simple as that. Projectiles only need to be the good old cup and core. Grab 100 Sierra 225gn game kings to almost 2,500fps and go have fun.
If you need more thump a good and 250gr round nose or speer hot core at 2,300 will give you plenty of thump for big game.
RUN don't walk RUN and get that 358 they don't come along very often for a reason. If it has a shit trigger a good gunsmith can fix that. My mates BLR 308 broke at a nice 3# after it was done. very accurate to go with it.
Recently a custom Mauser 358 came up for sale at a gun shop for $500. It sold in 2 days.
Those that have a 358 usually keep them, those that don't have one usually won't one.
Bob

Sorry to take a side swerve....but what is a 360 buck hammer....sounds like something from a cartoon.....or video game...

I'm no good at the technical answers. But what I can tell you is that I own a BLR in .308 and it is by far my favourite rifle that I've ever owned. Shot a crap ton of animals with it. It is a joy to carry while out hunting. If I saw that .358 I would definitely try to get it.

I have a BLR in .30-06. It is the most accurate rifle I own. No one ever believes me… Less than half inch groups at 100 yards, day in, day out, with any factory ammunition I’ve tried so far.
My hunting buddy and his son both have the BLR in .30-06. One has the original and one has the "lightweight". Surprisingly, they've told me with the same Bushnell scopes, they both weigh the same? Anyway, they've taken MANY pronghorn, deer and several elk and one moose with them and have had no issues with either of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you