Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I am sitting on the porch planning our next hunt with the Carruther's & Co group, and of course choices crop up, conflicting diaries and so on. Some are mine too. But I can't get away from the fact that time marches on, opportunities linger but a short time, and they are gone like the morning mist. My greatest regrets are linked to indesision, and I can attest right now - no more! I am all of 67, in good health and wife too. Time for a double, time for some travel, why wait until later, the money isn't going to run out completely and the older one gets all you need is pills and memories anyway. Make memories now folks, you can never have enough. Delaying my Heym was a mistake, I needed the money, but I could have made a plan around it.
What delays did you accept, when a little resolve would have been in order? What is your foot stamp resolotion going forward?

I am sitting on the porch planning our next hunt with the Carruther's & Co group, and of course choices crop up, conflicting diaries and so on. Some are mine too. But I can't get away from the fact that time marches on, opportunities linger but a short time, and they are gone like the morning mist. My greatest regrets are linked to indesision, and I can attest right now - no more! I am all of 67, in good health and wife too. Time for a double, time for some travel, why wait until later, the money isn't going to run out completely and the older one gets all you need is pills and memories anyway. Make memories now folks, you can never have enough. Delaying my Heym was a mistake, I needed the money, but I could have made a plan around it.
What delays did you accept, when a little resolve would have been in order? What is your foot stamp resolotion going forward?
I have put off alot of hunting trips do to my wifes medical conditions not allowing her to join me. Even though now for 4 or 5 yrs, she had told me to go have fun. So my resolution is going back to africa in 24 or 25. Im going to work around the guilt of not taking her, by making it a live feed video. Then she can watch live and feel like she is there!

Well said Sir!
I decided 2 years ago after a health issue set in to live life at its fullest day by day. I had a grand Safari planned for 2020 that did not happen. It was moved to 2021 and more days added. I will be in South Africa for 28 days and have my 58th birthday their. I added more DG animals and plains game to list. I bought a double rifle for this adventure. Could I really afford it? Honesty no. But you only live once! I decided to do things NOW while I can, because who knows what the future hold for each of us.

I have put off alot of hunting trips do to my wifes medical conditions not allowing her to join me. Even though now for 4 or 5 yrs, she had told me to go have fun. So my resolution is going back to africa in 24 or 25. Im going to work around the guilt of not taking her, by making it a live feed video. Then she can watch live and feel like she is there!
Great idea. Imagine her guilt in holding you back - go ane enjoy, it is only a few weeks and you can share the great experience.

Well said Sir!
I decided 2 years ago after a health issue set in to live life at its fullest day by day. I had a grand Safari planned for 2020 that did not happen. It was moved to 2021 and more days added. I will be in South Africa for 28 days and have my 58th birthday their. I added more DG animals and plains game to list. I bought a double rifle for this adventure. Could I really afford it? Honesty no. But you only live once! I decided to do things NOW while I can, because who knows what the future hold for each of us.
I salute your decision Mark, good on you. What double did you buy again? I have read something on it but forgotten.

Great philosophy! Now make up your mind which double. ;)

I share your's and the other's thoughts. That is one reason the last year and a half have been so frustrating. My spouse and I (we really enjoy each other - 40 years this year)) try to travel a lot together (though once in Africa was enough for her :E Shrug:). Thanks to Covid, we lost 18 months of opportunity. At 68, we are only one failed wake-up or that trip to the doctor that will keep us home for good. Looks like Zambia will happen in August for me, but I daily grow more nervous about our Austro/Hungarian adventure in October.

Today Easter Sunday is my birthday! I turned 62. Two years ago as I have shared before I began living again with my first African hunt. This year I have bought two beautiful DR and have two great African hunts booked both the first week in July 21 and 22. I am making memories. I power walk 30 miles per week and take great care of myself so looking forward to many more years of hunting!

I salute you Kevin and encourage you to hold to your resolution!

I have been very fortunate to be married to my best friend and partner in adventure. With careful decisions and many passed job opportunities, we managed to have my career pay for many decades in the Maritimes, Wyoming and Alaska.

We have been blessed to travel the world. Like Red Leg and many others, the past 18 months have been very frustrating with a number of lost opportunities. I hope Europe shapes up as we are planning New Years in Rome followed by a visit to the Holy Land.

My next must do is a hunt in Italy where you stay in a villa and cook the game you harvest with a chef.

I am trying to play catch up on traveling. I met my wife in my early 30's. Prior to, I couldn't afford to travel. When you have 2 incomes, it feels like this

1_2kLD3EnaJ-6INo0O-MvjzQ.jpeg

@Kevin Peacocke Great post sir. Like my dear departed father used to say, "Don't be a wish-I-had".
e-console.gif

If you decide on the. 375 flanged magnum, let me know. I have a brand new pair of snap caps still in the package. Found them when cleaning out my shed. I will send them to you.

About 20 years ago I went on my first "guided" hunt. I noticed a lot of the other hunters in camp were a bit feeble, poor eyesight, unable to walk any real distance. I realized then that I was going to begin hunting frequently as no one knows how many more days we have to enjoy this life. I made a plan to stop being in debt, and now I take 2 or 3 trips a year if possible. I know that is slowing down for me, the sheep hunts will probably be over, and if I don't get the last 2 trips in I have scheduled it will be ok. But I will have no regrets for not going on a trip/hunt.

Well said, Kevin. A few weeks ago, a friend of mine had a heart attack and died while on his way to a job site, he was early 40's. He had been pushing off Africa for several years, he had plenty of money to go, just never set aside the time.

In my late 30's cancer caused me to completely reshuffle my life. I sold my business shortly after and now have an immensely more fulfilling life. A cancer diagnoses likely added years to my life and a great deal more enjoyment.

I took my son to Africa 20 years ago to share in my Once in a Lifetime hunting trip.I was 49 and he was 15.He told me that someday he would bring me back.I thought that was so loving of him to say that but never thought much more about it.This past fathers day he surprised me with the announcement that in September we would be going to Tanzania to hunt in the Selous.I lost it and completely broke down.Now I am looking forward to my second Once in a Lifetime trip to Africa and have to pinch myself every now and then to realize that it is real and not a dream.How lucky I am.

Prior to my first trip to Africa I was in a rather one-sided marriage. She knew of my dream of hunting Africa but didn’t share it. Any available travel money we had therefore went to three trips to Mexico. In the meantime a good friend and I would talk about going to Africa. Someday. Always someday. Eventually my wife found another guy with deeper pockets and that was the end of us. But much worse than that, my friend and his wife went on holiday where he ended up drowning in the ocean. Both were big wake up calls for me so I decided then and there to book my hunt to Africa and figure out how to pay for it later. Best decision ever.

Being 33, it looks like I still have quite some time ahead for future adventures. But reading these comments of people you knew, who die unexpectedly at a young age, does make you stop and think...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.