Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
I'm considering getting a blaser but cant make my mind up on what stock to get?? I have decided on a synthetic stock for easy of maintenance and I wouldn't mind if it got knocked about a bit. Now the problem lays in do I get a regular stock or the thumb hole type? I will be using it mainly for deer in the UK but will be using it on DG too. Pls dont say get both stocks that just wont help.
I have had experience with both types of stocks and get on fine with them. Mind you they were not blaser rifles but I cant see how it would make too much difference.

Look forward to seeing what you all think

I do not believe that the thumb hole stocks are “rated” for anything larger than .375 h&h. I have not heard of any problems but I do not believe it comes with a 22mm fore end that will fit the large bore barrels. If 375 is the max you would like to go, I would go thumb hole. I really like that hand position and trigger pull.

@MMAL channel width is the difference. The thumbhole stock is also made to take heavy recoil.
I have both a thumbhole stock (my rifle) and the regular stock (my son’s) in synthetic. The regular stock has a more vertical grip than a normal rifle style, which I like. The thumbhole stock is the style I personally prefer. The grip of a thumbhole stock helps absorb recoil better, in my opinion. I don’t find that the thumbhole design impedes the reload process, as some suggest. If anything, it is a more natural position for me.

I’m confident you will be pleased with either design. The recoil reducer can be installed in the regular stock (my son has one). The ultimate stock that I have uses a different recoil absorption system that does not add weight.

While I admire pretty wood on a rifle, I like to hunt with synthetic stocks and not worry about the abuse they take. The Blaser stock material is robust.

Fit is very important. My lovely daughter in law has a Blaser synthetic thumb hold stock. She much prefers how it fits in her hand. I have a straight Blaser synthetic stock. I have shot with both stocks and can determine no difference for me.
Since you cannot buy both, you must spend many hours at the rifle range evaluating both. Have Fun!:D

My wife has a thumb hole stock that she let's me shoot! We have it in calibers 300 Win Mag and 375 H&H. Very comfortable to shoot in both calibers. I find the thumb hole stock naturally causes me to mount the rifle more consistently. Also, no issues from a comfort/recoil perspective with shooting the bigger caliber.

As an aside, I like the leather inserts on the professional success. They're comfortable and add that little something extra.

20191118_075901.jpg

I do not believe that the thumb hole stocks are “rated” for anything larger than .375 h&h. I have not heard of any problems but I do not believe it comes with a 22mm fore end that will fit the large bore barrels. If 375 is the max you would like to go, I would go thumb hole. I really like that hand position and trigger pull.
i dont thing the channel width is a problem as the thumb hole stock takes the fully silenced bbl which is a 22mm profile.

Im just waiting to hear back from the dealer that MAY have worked out a trade in deal for me

Fit is very important. My lovely daughter in law has a Blaser synthetic thumb hold stock. She much prefers how it fits in her hand. I have a straight Blaser synthetic stock. I have shot with both stocks and can determine no difference for me.
Since you cannot buy both, you must spend many hours at the rifle range evaluating both. Have Fun!:D
unfortunately in the UK we struggle masses to have a try before you buy system. Very few dealers have access to such facilities

I dislike thumb hole stocks because I can’t reach the thumb operated safety very well. I have never even seen a Blaser so I can’t say if it’s true for them.

I'm considering getting a blaser but cant make my mind up on what stock to get?? I have decided on a synthetic stock for easy of maintenance and I wouldn't mind if it got knocked about a bit. Now the problem lays in do I get a regular stock or the thumb hole type? I will be using it mainly for deer in the UK but will be using it on DG too. Pls dont say get both stocks that just wont help.
I have had experience with both types of stocks and get on fine with them. Mind you they were not blaser rifles but I cant see how it would make too much difference.

Look forward to seeing what you all think
Thumb hole stock and DG do not go together....

Nonsense!

Hunt with whatever rifle you like.
I am tracking with you.

If someone is going to put their first bullet into their first buffalo, they should do it with the rifle with which they have the greatest confidence. I have always recommended a scoped .375 because it was the easiest transition from a deer rifle. If that familiar deer rifle has a Blaser pistol grip design, it changes nothing in that recommendation. Indeed, the client merely has to add a different barrel with respect to his R8. Spending a long day or two trying to correct a misplaced first shot seems like a poor recommendation for tradition.

I should probably add, that I have no desire to have pistol grip stock on one of my R8s. And were you to poke around my gun room, you would be certain that I was a total traditionalist. But the R8 has become my go to rifle. I see no reason a client's go to rifle couldn't include the "Success" stock as well.

Objectively...

The objective factors to consider are:

1--- Does one shoot better with a "pistol grip" type of stock, whether it be a pistol grip or a thumbhole stock? It is likely that arguments can be offered on both sides of the discussion, but it must be noted that almost all modern military rifles now have a pistol grip. This is likely not purely coincidental. The ergonomics seem fairly obvious.

2--- Does one control recoil better with a "pistol grip" type of stock, whether it be a pistol grip or a thumbhole stock? It seems that the answer is likely yes, which could be both a plus, or a minus if the riffle has enough recoil to dislocate a thumb. Luckily, hunting calibers, in rifles of proper weight, likely do not generate enough recoil to do this with shooters who handle their rifle correctly and firmly.

3--- Can one reach the top safety/cocker/decocker easier without a "pistol grip" type of stock, whether it be a pistol grip or a thumbhole stock? It seems fairly impartial to observe that: first, the thumbhole stock requires a more convoluted thumb movement than a traditional stock, but that, second, the R8 safety/cocker/decocker is not used as a typical shotgun sliding safety unconsciously pushed forward during a smooth shouldering. So, this may not be an issue, although, clearly, almost all modern military rifles have the safety/selector conveniently located within immediate access of the thumb, and this too is likely not purely coincidental.

4--- Does one shoot repeat shots as fast with a "pistol grip" type of stock, whether it be a pistol grip or a thumbhole stock? There is materially an upper bridge (above the thumbhole) in the R8 stock, that the thumb MUST go under. Is there a risk of putting the thumb above it (rather than below) in a rushed reload during emergency self-defense shooting? The answer is likely yes, but extensive training and familiarity is likely to be also part of the answer and may entirely alleviate the risk.

In the end, as in most things related to hunting rifle choice...

1619387343895.png

The plain old reality is that shooters do better with rifles they like and trust, rather than with rifles that may be objectively better but that they dislike...

Last edited:
@norfolk shooter - My wife and I tried all of the stocks when we were looking to make the jump. Neither of us spent much time on the thumbhole version, because it didn't suit us/feel comfortable. Pick what fits you the best and a color you like. Everything is on the table with every Blaser R8 stock, any channel, any caliber, with/without kickstop...etc.

My wife and I both shoot 375H&H from very different rifles. Hers is a timber stocked aluminum receiver Intuition, with kickstop and a 22mm barrel. Mine is a synthetic (traditional or non-thumbhole) aluminum receiver, no kickstop with a 17mm barrel. The top and bottom rifles. The middle one was sold because I realized that only a 375 was needed. The steel receiver safari stock with 22mm 416RM barrel weighed over 10# before adding a scope, sling or ammo. The 375 is very manageable (for me) at 7.75# without a scope.

1619474735800.png

I didnt think about the cocking with the pistol grip stock. TBH it does look a little like a pain. Gents I thank you all for you input and if I do get a blaser I will be getting the pro stock (non pistol grip).

Objectively...

The objective factors to consider are:

1--- Does one shoot better with a "pistol grip" type of stock, whether it be a pistol grip or a thumbhole stock? It is likely that arguments can be offered on both sides of the discussion, but it must be noted that almost all modern military rifles now have a pistol grip. This is likely not purely coincidental. The ergonomics seem fairly obvious.

2--- Does one control recoil better with a "pistol grip" type of stock, whether it be a pistol grip or a thumbhole stock? It seems that the answer is likely yes, which could be both a plus, or a minus if the riffle has enough recoil to dislocate a thumb. Luckily, hunting calibers, in rifles of proper weight, likely do not generate enough recoil to do this with shooters who handle their rifle correctly and firmly.

3--- Can one reach the top safety/cocker/decocker easier without a "pistol grip" type of stock, whether it be a pistol grip or a thumbhole stock? It seems fairly impartial to observe that: first, the thumbhole stock requires a more convoluted thumb movement than a traditional stock, but that, second, the R8 safety/cocker/decocker is not used as a typical shotgun sliding safety unconsciously pushed forward during a smooth shouldering. So, this may not be an issue, although, clearly, almost all modern military rifles have the safety/selector conveniently located within immediate access of the thumb, and this too is likely not purely coincidental.

4--- Does one shoot repeat shots as fast with a "pistol grip" type of stock, whether it be a pistol grip or a thumbhole stock? There is materially an upper bridge (above the thumbhole) in the R8 stock, that the thumb MUST go under. Is there a risk of putting the thumb above it (rather than below) in a rushed reload during emergency self-defense shooting? The answer is likely yes, but extensive training and familiarity is likely to be also part of the answer and may entirely alleviate the risk.

In the end, as in most things related to hunting rifle choice...

View attachment 398893

The plain old reality is that shooters do better with rifles they like and trust, rather than with rifles that may be objectively better but that they dislike...
That Brunette really is something :love::love::love::K Love Eyes::K Love Eyes::K Crazy Love:

@norfolk shooter - My wife and I tried all of the stocks when we were looking to make the jump. Neither of us spent much time on the thumbhole version, because it didn't suit us/feel comfortable. Pick what fits you the best and a color you like. Everything is on the table with every Blaser R8 stock, any channel, any caliber, with/without kickstop...etc.

My wife and I both shoot 375H&H from very different rifles. Hers is a timber stocked aluminum receiver Intuition, with kickstop and a 22mm barrel. Mine is a synthetic (traditional or non-thumbhole) aluminum receiver, no kickstop with a 17mm barrel. The top and bottom rifles. The middle one was sold because I realized that only a 375 was needed. The steel receiver safari stock with 22mm 416RM barrel weighed over 10# before adding a scope, sling or ammo. The 375 is very manageable (for me) at 7.75# without a scope.

View attachment 399022
Sorry to resurrect this thread - @BeeMaa does your professional stock have the thicker buttpad or just the standard with some LOP spacers?

Sorry to resurrect this thread - @BeeMaa does your professional stock have the thicker buttpad or just the standard with some LOP spacers?
Standard with LOP spacers I picked up from Van at Top Dog Guns Global.

I own an R8 Professional (normal synthetic stock) and a Professional Success (Thumb hole synthetic stock). I have to say I prefer the thumb hole stock model and feel that it just seems to be a better fit for any off hand type shooting. My Thumb hole stock also includes an adjustable cheek piece which I think is a waste of time and I've taped over the button and comb to stop it accidently being raised.

I would buy thumb hole but no adjustable cheek piece. I notice no difference working the bolt or safety with either stock configuration.

I've owned several R8s, and currently have two stocks and three barrels. I've never owned one with a thumbhole stock, but have handled a few. My personal preference is definitely for the standard style stock. For some reason, the R8 Professional in general just fits me very well. The thumbhole stock doesn't feel as natural to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross