AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
I'm sure this may stir up the pot a bit, but I'm looking into a new .308 Win, with the ability to have interchangeable barrels. Any guys here using either of the two, if so, what are your thoughts?

I am still a bolt gun kind of hunter so I would opt for the Mauser,easy enough to change bolt heads and switch barrels. That being said I have seen Blaser rifles become extremely popular everywhere. Can't beat it for a fast reload. They are pretty accurate out the box and I have had a client use his several times in South Africa without any issues. Be prepared to pay more for mounts and all the extra accessories, Blaser parts don't come cheap.
Nice position to be in, check the classifieds on here,was a gentleman selling on hell of a Blaser package.

i have never used either but much prefer the feel of the mauser to the blaser, and if i didnt have the rifles i do in zambia would go that route. a friend uses one as a ph in .404 and not sure of the other cal and loves it.

Hello Aaron Nietfeld,

Since I have no interest in rifles with interchangeable barrels, I should probably keep my big mouth shut (except for doubles and hinge frame single shots - those designs beg for extra barrels in other calibers/gauges).
However, being also a hyper active motor mouth, I cannot help but to open my big mouth sometimes.

Of the two rifles you are considering, I would select the Mauser M03 (too bad it is not a Mauser M98).
All the straight-pull rifles in the world have always looked as ugly as home made soap to me.
More importantly, some have a reputation of failing in the worst way, resulting in severe injury or death to the shooter.

I feel this is due to the fact that they have so many intricate and complicated looking little moving parts that mathematically, the odds of something breaking or failing to go where it belongs are increased, compared to most of the more simple turn bolt designs (an exception is the Sauer turnbolt design, those make me nervous as well - too many moving parts).

The Blaser R8 might be one of these death traps, not sure but I'd personally never want to fire one, even if this particular model has never failed anyone else (Murphy's Law seems to be my constant companion).

Blah, blah, etc., etc., get the Mauser,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Big mouths are always welcome Velo! I have plenty of time to kill!

Aaron

do you have the ability to shoot either rifle?

I have looked and put my hands on both rifles, ask questions about both rifles with the factory rep.

This is my opinion only: The Blaser in my opinion was on the light side and did not have the balance that the Mauser did.

Not really, apparently there are no dealers of Mauser in Canada anymore, unless any of you know different. There is a local shop that sells Blasers, so I will go check them out when I go home for day off, but its doubtful that they keep them on the shelf as a stock item.

Aaron,
While I was stationed in Germany, I actually had to the chance to tour the Blaser/Mauser factory in Insy Germany. Both rifles are great guns, very well made quality rifles. I would recommend if you have the chance, you should put your hand s on them both and shoot them if possible. I do not own the R8, but I do have the R93 with 5 different barrels (22-250, 264 Win Mag, 30-06, 300 Rem Ultra Mag, 375 H&H) and it shoots great! I have also shot the R8, which also shoots very good. The major reason that I have not converted is because of the investment I currently have in the R93 (and if my wife found out, she would shoot me with the new R8).

Bottom line, everyone will give you an opinion on which one you should buy, but you are the one that will be shooting it. If you like the feel of the Mauser better, buy it....and if you like the feel of the Blaser better, but it.....if you like them both....your screwed!---buy them both!

One nice thing is that you will be buying from the same company. Blaser, Mauser, and and now Rigby are part of the same group. They are both great rifles. An R8 in .300 and .375 (or .416) would be a handy package to take across the water.

They are both excellent, well made & beautifully engineered: contemporary gun making at its finest

Things that I haven't seen - a Blaser blowing up...but I only own 6 of them

Things I have seen - the walnut stock on a £5,000 Mo3 warp on my first trip to South Africa 2 years ago

Just a couple of quick observations from someone that has shot both systems

Do any fellow Canadians know where to buy Mausers up here? I can't seem to get any reply from the company.

Well maybe I should make a trip!

I'll just tell the wife I'm headed shopping!

Blasers make me very uncomfortable, an R93 blew up in my shooting range, next to a friend of mine. Shooter had serious trauma to his head and lost his eyesight.

So far no blowups reported on the R8, but I prefer a simple Mauser action.

Blasers make me very uncomfortable, an R93 blew up in my shooting range, next to a friend of mine. Shooter had serious trauma to his head and lost his eyesight.

So far no blowups reported on the R8, but I prefer a simple Mauser action.

Nyati's post here is one example describing what I was referring to in my earlier post in this thread (on Wednesday April 8th) regarding possible injury and death issues, with straight pull rifle designs.

I'm not fond of anything designed with large numbers of small parts, including the M-03 bolt action that the OP was asking about but I feel it is the lesser of the two evils that he is considering to buy.

At least the M-03 has not smashed a steel bar into anyone's face that we know of.

Im sure with selfloaded XXL high power ammunition.
Every gun in Germany must be tested by "Beschussamt",an official NGO .
There is a sign, hammered from them on the barrel.
And they test them with 30% over a maximimum serial loading .
I belive maximum pressure is 15.000 bar.

EVERY SINGLE ONE.
Without that, is not allowed to sell them.Not only one.

The Mauser (M03) today is not bad,but has nothing more to do with the old ones M98.
Nothing.Only the Name.
I would take the R 8,much better than R 93(and this is a good one),and in relationship to Mo3 a real perfect beauty.
Nothing compares with R8.

Foxi

R8 Ruthenium links.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg