Blaser R8 Jaeger Safari 458 Win Mag. Sumo Wrestler In A Dress

I have been blazing through some 500 Jeffrey practicing. I like the 500 Jeffrey so well I have considered parting with the Kreighoff. This Jeffrey is a laser. With the Trijicon it is easily a 100 yard gun and I can keep it on a 10" steel plate at 200 yards with a little KY windage

I have been blazing through some 500 Jeffrey practicing. I like the 500 Jeffrey so well I have considered parting with the Kreighoff. This Jeffrey is a laser. With the Trijicon it is easily a 100 yard gun and I can keep it on a 10" steel plate at 200 yards with a little KY windage
Those Sakos do shoot well! I've never shot a 500J, but I can imagine it's a handful!

Those Sakos do shoot well! I've never shot a 500J, but I can imagine it's a handful!
It is stout. I sent it off and had a mercury reducer put in it and a kickeez recoil pad. It was 9.75lb before. I have not weighed it since I got it back. I would assume all loaded up it might be 10.5lb. I had him install an NECG front band with one of thier sights.
It is stout but very shootable. I killed a doe at 110 yards the other day with the RMR sight on it. I don't have it maxed out but I'm running the 475 raptors at 2270 and the 570 that I have tried were around 2200. I am about to start some more serious load work with the 570 softs to get ready for Zim. I have some 600 grain wooeighs on order too. My plan though is hopefully to get the 570 A frames up around 2300 and call it a day. That should be sufficient for DG and also be flat enough to whack a PG out to 100 yards and some change if I need to. I think I will send the 416 off to MNR and have him do the same treatment on it. Barrel band sight, and new recoil pad. I also had him extend the LOP by 1/2" I like having the two matching rifles, they cover anything I need really. All the way down to a 300 grain in the 416 but it will also handle any DG if I want it too and up to 600 grain in the 500, but with the ability to load a 475 raptor pretty fast and flat if I want to as a do all round.

20221121_083327.jpg
20221121_101638.jpg

Contemplating a second trip to Zim in 2023, for Buffalo and Tuskless again. So, if this trip does get booked, I've got some practicing to do with the 458....
Yeah, because your 375 really fell short of expectations. :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, the 458WM for a dedicated Buff & Ele hunt is a perfect choice. Best of luck getting it done. And that rifle belongs in Africa with wood like that!

You may need to consider using more gun. Lol!

Yeah, real men use a .600 on DD (Dangerous Doe) :E Rofl:

It's been my experience in the 458 WM that Barnes bullets are the absolute worst choice as they are the longest. You can get the highest velocities out of any available woodleighs the softs and solids as they are the absolute shortest 500 grain bullets out there. Also in 458 you essentially get 100 ft per second per additional 1/10th of an inch of cartridge which of course can be created by the lesser seating depth. Why the typical standard 458 shoots 2050 ft per second and the Lott Wyatt and Ackley 2350. Even if you squeezed 2250 out with the higher SD 500 grainers that should be fine.

Regarding the .458 Win, the point made by C.W. Richter really deserves consideration. The .458 500 gr TSX is indeed a very, very long bullet. It works great in the Lott case, but it sure takes a lot of space in a Win case (even in a Lott for that matter!).

.458 TSX.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, real men use a .600 on DD (Dangerous Doe) :E Rofl:

Regarding the .458 Win, the point made by C.W. Richter really deserves consideration. The .458 500 gr TSX is indeed a very, very long bullet. It works great in the Lott case, but it sure takes a lot of space in a Win case (even in a Lott for that matter!).

View attachment 502104
I think the 450gr TSX will do on buffalo all that needs doing. Probably no need for 500gr anyway, in that particular bullet.

Penetration my friend, penetration :)
This is where 500 gr will outperform 450 gr...
No difference whatsoever on a broadside double-lung shot; potential difference on a shoulder and/or quartering shot...

Thank goodness that a 500 bullet is still viable. I don't know what is do if I had to drop those fifty grains. :A Tease:

How's this rifle coming along @TOBY458 ? Been doing a bit with it on the range?
Haven't done a lot with it yet. Been deer hunting quite a bit. If my 2023 African hunt comes to pass, I will start practicing with it soon after Christmas. Should be ready by August!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShellieWei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!