Blaser R8 & Dangerous Game?

Safariswestcam

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
For years now I have relied on "Africa Hunting" as an invaluable tool and resource to venture down many of the rabbit holes I tend to find chasing research in search of an education on various topics, but this is my first time contributing or posting for that matter.

I am booked on a buffalo hunt for later this year in Tanzania, of which I am indescribably excited about. My pursuit and planning for this trip started a few years ago and along the way decided it was time but mostly as an excuse to upgrade to, what for me is, a really nice rifle. A few months ago after lots of reading found a Blaser R8 Kilombero chambered in 458 Lott and bought it without hesitation. Since the transaction and continuing to finalize our hunt, I have found that there is quite the dichotomy out there of people who either "Love" or "Hate" the Blaser, but of the segment that dislike them I am yet to find evidence of why other than its not "traditional". I get the concept of that statement but I am of the mind set that I want the most efficient tool possible and that at some point in history even the mauser action and smokless powder was once considered "not traditional" by someone.

Most recently in a conversation with a renowned gunmaker he said without hesitation, "you don't want to take a Blaser to shoot a buffalo... its not a dangerous game rifle"?? Its compact, interchangeable and faster than any other rifle I have shot (with the exception of a double), so my question is before I head to chase buff, can anyone tell me good or bad, what experience they have had with a Blaser and its proficiency as a Dangerous Game rifle?

Thank you in advance for any help in either waning or gaining confidence in my purchase!

Cheers,
Cam

IMG_1581.jpg

Blaser R8 - Why do African PH’s and Alaskan Bear Guides Choose Not To Use Blaser R8’s?
Hello and welcome to the forum! This link will take you to 24+pages of discussion as to the merits and detractors of the R8 for dangerous game. The summary I saw from this is if you actually own and shoot one, you understand the benefits of it. The majority of detractors are just repeating what someone said about them without actually owning or firing one. IF you have ever traveled with one, you immediately know the first benefit. The caliber, shot placement and choice of bullet are far more important than how fast your second or third shot are. You have a beautiful rifle and a fantastic hunt planned, enjoy the build-up to your trip!

I can't comment from actual experience, except to say that the only reason I don't have one is that I can't afford one. If I could, I would.

The only drawback I can see is the 3+1 magazine capacity (my Brno is 5+1).

I would suggest that you do lots of practice with the rifle and get to know its handling intimately, including topping up in a hurry.

Congratulations on a beautiful and eminently effective hunting rifle.

@BeeMaa started a link about this. There is ample reading in there.

I am a R8 owner and have used it on DG. It works. It is fast. I wish I had bought one years ago. It has the best safety system I have used. I will not hesitate to use it again for DG. The R8’s are going to Namibia this summer with my daughter and I. She will use Her’s for hippo on land.

Blaser R8 - Why do African PH’s and Alaskan Bear Guides Choose Not To Use Blaser R8’s?
Hello and welcome to the forum! This link will take you to 24+pages of discussion as to the merits and detractors of the R8 for dangerous game. The summary I saw from this is if you actually own and shoot one, you understand the benefits of it. The majority of detractors are just repeating what someone said about them without actually owning or firing one. IF you have ever traveled with one, you immediately know the first benefit. The caliber, shot placement and choice of bullet are far more important than how fast your second or third shot are. You have a beautiful rifle and a fantastic hunt planned, enjoy the build-up to your trip!
Thank you so much... I will read through this link this evening. I have owned this gun now for a few months and ran a few boxes of shells through it. My concerns were definitely not born out of what I already know about the rifle but more of what I did not know.

Most recently in a conversation with a renowned gunmaker he said without hesitation, "you don't want to take a Blaser to shoot a buffalo... its not a dangerous game rifle"??
Regardless of renown in gunsmithing, of course you inquired on the gunmaker's experience shooting buffalo?

I am no authority on the subject . I did shoot my first Buffalo with a R8 pro success in 375 hh this year. My son did the same. We both followed our first shot with a lightning fast 2nd shot .
I really enjoy the gun and versatility of a fast barrel change.
I like new and different products of many types. Some folks prefer to stick with what has always worked for them .

I have now taken 2 buffalo, an elephant, leopard, multiple plains game and Lord derby with my R8. It (probably) is the only rifle I will take to Africa. I simply don't own anything better or easier to carry.

I wouldn't say that R8 has a lot of haters. It is spared from the few "rough edges" of its predecessor, and looks like a kind of perfection. It's just that many hunters, and in particular PH, believe that this rifle could be cheaper.
It is faster-firing than "bolts", it is multi-loaded, and it is more reliable than self-loading (which, moreover, are not in African calibers). Even the possibility of changing barrels, in general, in my opinion, doubtful, is useful in this case. To develop the skill of handling rifle (and this is mandatory) is better with something more proletarian than Lott 458. Even for those who can afford it.
So good luck with those big black cows. Be sure to write about this trip later.

You'll find my comments in the recommended threads. You have a great rifle, that is perfect for your intended hunt.

great gun. faster than traditional bolt actions. doubles are the king of DG hunting but Blasers are next in line. congrats on a gorgeous gun.

As I just acquired my R8 in November, my experience with it is very limited and have yet to hunt with it. That said, it is fast operating, accurate, smooth feeding and if you so desire, easy to transport in a smaller case. I also like the fact, the rifle needs to be cocked.
I’d have no reservations about using one on DG.

I used my R8 375 on Tuskless Elephant and Buffalo last year. Couldn't have performed better. I plan to take it to the same destination this year with a 458 Win Mag barrel, along with the 375. I'm considering hunting a bull elephant this time, so I'm definitely confident in the rifle. You have a very nice rifle that needs to be hunted.

I have found that there is quite the dichotomy out there of people who either "Love" or "Hate" the Blaser, but of the segment that dislike them I am yet to find evidence of why other than its not "traditional"
I think you are not aware what can of warms you are opening here on the forum!:A Me You::A Me You:

Anyway, dont be too concerned.
DG has been hunted by blaser r8 by clients.

What you are actually going into, is the old never resolved debate: what is better CRF or PF rifle, now evolved to what is better CRF of Blaser R8?

Such debates are fun to read. And you can learn many aspects of the guns from it.
But they are without conclusion.

Just do it.

For years now I have relied on "Africa Hunting" as an invaluable tool and resource to venture down many of the rabbit holes I tend to find chasing research in search of an education on various topics, but this is my first time contributing or posting for that matter.

I am booked on a buffalo hunt for later this year in Tanzania, of which I am indescribably excited about. My pursuit and planning for this trip started a few years ago and along the way decided it was time but mostly as an excuse to upgrade to, what for me is, a really nice rifle. A few months ago after lots of reading found a Blaser R8 Kilombero chambered in 458 Lott and bought it without hesitation. Since the transaction and continuing to finalize our hunt, I have found that there is quite the dichotomy out there of people who either "Love" or "Hate" the Blaser, but of the segment that dislike them I am yet to find evidence of why other than its not "traditional". I get the concept of that statement but I am of the mind set that I want the most efficient tool possible and that at some point in history even the mauser action and smokless powder was once considered "not traditional" by someone.

Most recently in a conversation with a renowned gunmaker he said without hesitation, "you don't want to take a Blaser to shoot a buffalo... its not a dangerous game rifle"?? Its compact, interchangeable and faster than any other rifle I have shot (with the exception of a double), so my question is before I head to chase buff, can anyone tell me good or bad, what experience they have had with a Blaser and its proficiency as a Dangerous Game rifle?

Thank you in advance for any help in either waning or gaining confidence in my purchase!

Cheers,
Cam

View attachment 520656

It is and will be a great dangerous game rifle
Dont be clouded by the naysayers and old day thinkers
Its a fantastic reliable well engineered gun

Ask me i know. I am a ph of 15+ years and my back up gun on dangerous game is a R8 in 416rem mag
So i speak from experience !!!!

Take your gun that you shoot well and enjoy yourself

As I mentioned recently, I’ve owned an R8 in .375H&H for about seven months now and killed about six buffalo with it. I really like it.

Most buffalo hunts are straightforward, but my first with the R8 was a known troublemaker and inbound, a single 350 grain Woodleigh soft to the chest sorted him, and he made a fantastic rendang!

My second was a massive old bull that had strayed too close to town and was going nuts being attacked by dogs, quite a dangerous situation. At eight metres he was sorted.

Subsequent situations have been more usual.

It seems the main pros put forth by the R8’s users/defenders are ease of travel, speed and ergonomics. It does appear to be utterly reliable but there are many rifles that are and it still has limited capacity. It is a PF (whether or not that truly matters in this day in age is up for debate), I’m honestly split on that issue.

The R8’s speed on full display:
:eek::A Outta:
Just kidding.. That lion was close to start withI wouldn’t mind owning an R8 myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.