Blaser R8 Configurations

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
The draw of an R8 is getting to be a very intriguing thing to me. If I do end up taking the plunge, what would be the best configuration to go with? I like the looks of the Jaeger and the Luxus model rifles, as they have more of what looks like a traditional receiver and forend than the synthetic rifles do. Also, it seems like the forends could be replaced in order to occomodate different barrel contours, but I haven't been able to find any data supporting that. My first barrel would be a 375 H&H with the 17mm contour and iron sights. Then maybe a 7mm or 300 Mag in the same contour for a lighter game rifle. Can I get some opinions?

The pacing item for you is the largest caliber that you plan to shoot in your R8. Everything else follows from there. I have actions configured for semi-weight and standard barrels. The only combinations I actually take hunting are the standard weight because they make such perfectly balanced rifles. The .375 is a dream. My Jaeger is channeled for a semi-weight barrel. I have both standard and semi-weight in .300 Win Mag barrels. It is currently configured with the standard weight barrel because it makes a much handier field rifle.

What @Red Leg said. I figured I won’t go above a .375h&h, so the standard sizing makes sense. A .300 WM came next, and then another R8 for my son snuck in there with a 6.5CM barrel and a .22LR kit. A .270 win barrel just arrived this week.
It is kinda like tequila: when you agree to one shot it gets lonely in your stomach and invites friends.

Both stocks are synthetic: an ultimate and a professional. The kick stop works and balances nicely. The ultimate is 7 lbs 5 Oz with just the .375 barrel. It is 7 lbs 11 Oz with a scope mount and no scope. 8 lbs 14 Oz with a swaro 1.25-4. With the .300 WM barrel and a Z6 3-18 x 50 it weighs 9 lbs 4 Oz.
My sons professional with the kick stop. .22 Lr kit and a swaro 3-9 x36 Habicht weighs 9 lbs 8 Oz..
I am quite impressed by the function of the whole system.

The pacing item for you is the largest caliber that you plan to shoot in your R8. Everything else follows from there. I have actions configured for semi-weight and standard barrels. The only combinations I actually take hunting are the standard weight because they make such perfectly balanced rifles. The .375 is a dream. My Jaeger is channeled for a semi-weight barrel. I have both standard and semi-weight in .300 Win Mag barrels. It is currently configured with the standard weight barrel because it makes a much handier field rifle.
Thanks for the info. Do all Jaegers come channeled for semi weight? Or can you specify what you want? Also, how much gap is there with the standard barrel mounted in the semi weight forend? I really don't plan to go over 375, but if I could get J Sip and Sons to build me a 416 with a semi weight barrel, that might be an option as well. Otherwise I would probably go with a 7MM Mag and a 375 H&H in the standard barrels, and call it good.

Thanks for the info. Do all Jaegers come channeled for semi weight? Or can you specify what you want? Also, how much gap is there with the standard barrel mounted in the semi weight forend? I really don't plan to go over 375, but if I could get J Sip and Sons to build me a 416 with a semi weight barrel, that might be an option as well. Otherwise I would probably go with a 7MM Mag and a 375 H&H in the standard barrels, and call it good.
There is a bit of a gap, but no one will notice It if you hand them the rifle. I am a bit of an aesthetiphobe and if it looked like hell, I couldn’t live with it.

I don’t know the answer to whether all jaegers do or don’t. Mine did and came with the semi-weight .300 barrel. It is a beast of a rifle in that configuration (probably two pounds heavier than the standard .375 in the professional or classic stock). My professional and classic sporter are channeled for standard contour, and they make up into wonderful, balanced rifles through .375.

You might want to give the lads at Europtic a call. They have a lot of experience with them.

Last edited:
I have a R8 Jaeger and EuroOptic had Blaser pair it with a Safari forearm (matched wood grade of butt) and I had the option to get a STD forearm as well. Simple to remove the forearms and now considering to exercise the option of procuring a semi weight or std forearm for a lighter configuration. Yep, the gap of a safari forearm and a STD barrel is a bit much for me as well! HTH

I have a R8 Jaeger and EuroOptic had Blaser pair it with a Safari forearm (matched wood grade of butt) and I had the option to get a STD forearm as well. Simple to remove the forearms and now considering to exercise the option of procuring a semi weight or std forearm for a lighter configuration. Yep, the gap of a safari forearm and a STD barrel is a bit much for me as well! HTH
Yep. Safari to standard would definitely offend my aesthetic sensibilities. :(

One last suggestion....give Blaser USA a call or email. They have been responsive for my R8 and M03 questions etc. Will give you the direct info in the event one's preferred dealer (EuroOptic had no issues) says it can't be done nor available.

Toby here are some pictures to hopefully help and not confuse your choice. The only Blaser R8 wood stock I have is the Kilombero. It's a pretty stock but I think I prefer shooting the synthetic stocks. They seen more comfortable for me to shoot and they are much easier to grip.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a semi weight barrel, there just extra weight IMO. I find that the 17mm profile works very well.

In the pictures I am showing you three different stocks, 1. Kilombero, 2. Std synthetic Pro & 3. synthetic Safari Pro Hunter, each with a 17mm profile barrel.

IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg
IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_1682.jpg
IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1679.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Toby here are some pictures to hopefully help and not confuse your choice. The only Blaser R8 wood stock I have is the Kilombero. It's a pretty stock but I think I prefer shooting the synthetic stocks. They seen more comfortable for me to shoot and they are much easier to grip.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a semi weight barrel, there just extra weight IMO. I find that the 17mm profile works very well.

In the pictures I am showing you three different stocks, 1. Kilombero, 2. Std synthetic Pro & 3. synthetic Safari Pro Hunter, each with a 17mm profile barrel.

View attachment 358269 View attachment 358270 View attachment 358271 View attachment 358272 View attachment 358273 View attachment 358274 View attachment 358275
I would tend to agree. The semi-weight barrels create an extremely heavy rifle. The standard weight barrels and stocks offer everything through .375 in beautifully proportioned packages.

View attachment 358269 View attachment 358270 View attachment 358271 View attachment 358272 View attachment 358273 View attachment 358274 View attachment 358275
Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! Just for reference, are the two rifles with the larger barrel channels cut out for 19mm or 22mm?

The Kilombero and Professional Hunter come from Blaser channeled for the 22mm barrels.
Both are also equipped with kickstops from the factory.

I have the PH stock and the gap is nearly identical to mine with our 22lr 17mm barrel.

I'd like to see a picture of a semi weight rifle with a 17mm barrel installed as well. Seems to me if a semiweight stock doesn't look bad with the standard barrel, it would give you a bit more flexibility if you ever wanted to go with a larger caliber such as a 416 in a semiweight barrel. (If one could be built in that weight). Or, if you wanted a fluted semiweight in a 300 for longer range shooting.

Did they happen to give you a price for the additional forend? I would assume they would need to be fitted to the receiver for proper wood to metal clearance?

There is a bit of a gap, but no one will notice It if you hand them the rifle. I am a bit of an aesthetiphobe and if it looked like hell, I couldn’t live with it.

I don’t know the answer to whether all jaegers do or don’t. Mine did and came with the semi-weight .300 barrel. It is a beast of a rifle in that configuration (probably two pounds heavier than the standard .375 in the professional or classic stock). My professional and classic sporter are channeled for standard contour, and they make up into wonderful, balanced rifles through .375.

You might want to give the lads at Europtic a call. They have a lot of experience with them.
If you had to choose one type of receiver, would you choose the Jaeger style with the two piece stock, or the pro/classic style with one piece stock?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 12.01.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 12.01.49 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 192
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 12.01.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 12.01.51 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 12.01.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 12.01.54 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:
Did they happen to give you a price for the additional forend? I would assume they would need to be fitted to the receiver for proper wood to metal clearance?

Just checked my quote and didn't keep when I bought in 2016. I seem to recall the cost "Started" at $400 and up for a STD wood grade. My stock set was shipped separately from my action as it was an higher grade from Germany, had a choice of wood, which was cool. It definitely was not fitted to my specific action, so suspect good German engineering and the strength of the Blaser system extends to this. I have a big bore pro stock as well and both of these will fill any need!

I've been looking at these rifles with a carbon stock. Would be a nice set up with a 375 and 7mm Barrel.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866891329
I know Van who runs Top Dog Guns Global, really good guy and very knowledgable.
You should give him a call.
He would probably throw it on a scale for you if you asked.

7RM and 375H&H would be sweet, and they use the same bolt head.
Also the same as the 416RM. ;)

If you wanted to have the barrel channel opened up, you can always do it at a later date.
Adding it back in I hear is much more difficult.

I know Van who runs Top Dog Guns Global, really good guy and very knowledgable.
You should give him a call.
He would probably throw it on a scale for you if you asked.

7RM and 375H&H would be sweet, and they use the same bolt head.
Also the same as the 416RM. ;)

If you wanted to have the barrel channel opened up, you can always do it at a later date.
Adding it back in I hear is much more difficult.
I believe you can get that forend in whatever configuration you want, as I've seen other calibers they're offering with a semiweight barrel I believe. I will give him a call if this bug persists for a few more days without being replaced by another unneeded obsession. Haha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross