Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I have just started with the .300 with a 22” barrel. I am using my Thunderbeast Ultra 5 suppressor with it and I’m hunting the EC with it this month. I had all kinds of trouble and bought like 4 or more different loads. I was frustrated. What I finally figured out is that it gets hot and loses accuracy. Just like you I had poor groups and the occasional flyer. Frustrating!
Then I finally planned to just shoot a three shot group and then go back to work (yes I have two shooting ranges at my ranch so I can shoot anytime). I am wanting to hunt with Barnes 180g but also bought and had good accuracy with Nosler Accubond 180g.
With a cool barrel I am just about putting them in the same hole. 1” group at 100 yards easily. Problem solved! Thank goodness as I leave the 24th.
Best of luck.
Philip
Suppressors can compound the effect of barrel heating because they will heat at a different rate than the actual barrel. As you noted three shots will tell you how the rifle is actually doing for any hunting scenario.

Justbryan

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada,
With a cool barrel I am just about putting them in the same hole. 1” group at 100 yards easily. Problem solved! Thank goodness as I leave the 24th.
This is logical Phil because my first three shots clover leafed. I let the barrel cool down some but not to environmental temp and I am shooting suppressed. I will give it another try. But I also bought 200 grain ELD-X to try just in case I cannot get the Nosler Accubond 180g to shot. Thanks!

I will try this before re-crowning option.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I have just started with the .300 with a 22” barrel. I am using my Thunderbeast Ultra 5 suppressor with it and I’m hunting the EC with it this month. I had all kinds of trouble and bought like 4 or more different loads. I was frustrated. What I finally figured out is that it gets hot and loses accuracy. Just like you I had poor groups and the occasional flyer. Frustrating!
Then I finally planned to just shoot a three shot group and then go back to work (yes I have two shooting ranges at my ranch so I can shoot anytime). I am wanting to hunt with Barnes 180g but also bought and had good accuracy with Nosler Accubond 180g.
Best of luck.
Philip
Suppressors can compound the effect of barrel heating because they will heat at a different rate than the actual barrel. As you noted three shots will tell you how the rifle is actually doing for any hunting scenario.

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Best of luck.
Philip
Believe it or not, mirage from a warm/hot supressor will cause pretty major issues too. I chased an issue with my 28 Nosler last year and part of it was copper fouling but a supressor cover made a massive difference as well. I shot it in the summer and it wasnt that noticeable, then October rolls around getting ready for a Texas hunt and the mirage in the cooler temps was giving me hell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisdapra

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tom Leoni wrote on Nyati67's profile.
Nyatyi, what's the tube dia. on your S&B?
Brian wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
CM,
That is nice work! I would like that cartridge slide for 50-110 Win. I would also use it for 500 S&W. Six cartridge loops would be perfect for me.

I will send you payment immediately.

Thank you,
Akunasek wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
do you still have the Ithaca 10 ga semi auto?
kdenn wrote on TROPHY SHIPPERS's profile.
Afternoon, going to South Africa August 22 hunting with wife. will need your help with trophies. what information and how soon do you need it? went to the website and completed the form but seems i have negative energy or something with electronic communication often.
thanks for your help
ken dennison
Docpk wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
I would but the Swarovski scope