Black powder shotgun

Reaction score
Media
Good evening gentleman does anyone know of a company currently producing black powder shotguns or kits ? Preferably cap lock. The more I use my Lyman Great Plains rifle the more interested in BP shooting I seem to become.

Pedersoli as stated, cva and Thompson center used too, Another option you may look at is a trade gun, they are smooth bore so you can shoot both shot or a patched ball all the ones I’ve dealt with were flintlocks though, track of the wolf, Dixie gun works, Jim kibler, October country, caywood all have kits available. There are a lot of builders in the black powder guns out there, good luck in your search they are a hoot to shoot.

A friend of mine talked to somebody from Dixie Gun Works a couple weeks ago at the CLA Show. He said they are expecting a shipment of guns soon.

Otherwise, as stated by @Ravensview, check Track of the Wolf. Also talk to Pecatonica River Longrifle Supply. Unfortunately, Tip Curtis passed away not too long ago. He’d had some really decent kit stuff. I bought a 36” barrel Lancaster .62 cal from him years ago that I’m waiting on right now (the guy finishing it, not the kit). Another friend had bought a flintlock .62 in the white from Tip with a turkey choked barrel.

Good evening gentleman does anyone know of a company currently producing black powder shotguns or kits ? Preferably cap lock. The more I use my Lyman Great Plains rifle the more interested in BP shooting I seem to become.
@Skinnersblade
Lawrence you are to young to be having a mid life crisis. What's all the go with front stuffers or did father give you a smack in the ear and you forgot metallic cartridges and plastic hull shot shells are now available. I know there's an ammo shortage snd powder shortage but is it that bad in Canada.
How is your miniature double build going mate. I'm looking forward to seeing that sweet little 25-20 double, plus you can use black powder in it.
Bob

@Skinnersblade
Dont listen what others tell you!
Its not mid life crises, it is obvious you are a man of taste!

I had one of italian Pedersoli muzzle loading s-s shotguns in hand, and it is wonderful!
So, find the dealer, and go for it.

BTW - if you like nice BP, muzzle loading guns, duel pistols (or wonderful duel pistols in presentation boxes), sharps rifles, malcolm scopes, guns with brass details, kentucky rifle, kodiak rifles, brown bess, etc take a look at their catalogue and web site.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/en/products/muzzle-loading-side-side-shotguns

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.06 AM.png
    755.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.07 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.09 AM.png
    936.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.10 AM.png
    867.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.12 AM.png
    889.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 8.32.14 AM.png
    686.3 KB · Views: 118
@Skinnersblade
Lawrence you are to young to be having a mid life crisis. What's all the go with front stuffers or did father give you a smack in the ear and you forgot metallic cartridges and plastic hull shot shells are now available. I know there's an ammo shortage snd powder shortage but is it that bad in Canada.
How is your miniature double build going mate. I'm looking forward to seeing that sweet little 25-20 double, plus you can use black powder in it.
Bob
No mid life crisis bob , the black powder club I’m considering joining has a competitive class for bp shotguns.

@Skinnersblade
Bob
The miniature double is going to be in .22 hornet, Bills waiting on a reamer to ship from Vancouver.

We got that sorted after awhile just took a few letters to the cfo

That is good news! I know where there’s a beautiful little .25-20 pump gun in a closet in Ontario. I’d hate to think that it couldn’t be fed!

@Skinnersblade
Dont listen what others tell you!
Its not mid life crises, it is obvious you are a man of taste!

I had one of italian Pedersoli muzzle loading s-s shotguns in hand, and it is wonderful!
So, find the dealer, and go for it.

BTW - if you like nice BP, muzzle loading guns, duel pistols (or wonderful duel pistols in presentation boxes), sharps rifles, malcolm scopes, guns with brass details, kentucky rifle, kodiak rifles, brown bess, etc take a look at their catalogue and web site.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/en/products/muzzle-loading-side-side-shotguns
Any experience with the Malcolm scopes?

Unfortunately no experience with malcolm scope, but I always wanted to get full set up, of rifle from that era: like sharps plus malcolm scope.
And there is always some other rifle as a priority, I am always postponing.

In the meantime I shoot colt army 1860, cal 44, cap n ball.

Another possibility would be something like an M 1842 Smoothbore Musket. I do not know if any company is currently making a reproductive version. Just have to poke around the net to see what’s out there in the new and used market. But it would certainly afford an opportunity to try both types of shooting/loading. Either patched roundball (or buck and ball) or shotgun. You’d have both a 69 cal musket and a 24 ga shotgun :):)

I have two 69 cal smoothbores- an M 1842 percussion musket and an M 1816 flint musket. I also shoot a 69 cal Plymouth but it is rifled.

I had a Dixie 12 ga Magnum ML cap lock SxS for a long time. If not mistaken I think made by Pedersoli. Lots of recoil with max loads but pattern density was somewhere blunderbuss and cylinder :) obviously putting much choke in a ML is problematic :) Ok for bird hunting but effective range pretty limiting.

But they’re all a hoot to shoot!

Last edited:
I have a Pedersoli caplock, 12 ga. ( Believe it's the L241 cm) It is well made, artistic, and fits and handles like a fine modern shotgun. However, the stock is too short for me, I am 6 feet tall. That's about the only fault I have found with it. Will Bilozir imports them to Canada.

P1000371.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg