Black Mamba Pictures

@PARA45 , actually, I just hunt a roe deer now and then.

Nowadays serious hunting has become very expensive in Spain, so I´d rather save and go to Africa.

Nyati, thanks for the offer! I've heard that Spain has some good hunting. Do you hunt there???
Good call, actually, I am still in, 16 Mar was my 34 year anniversary. It's been a long haul with no regrets at all, and in Jan 2018 I'll have to retire, if I don't do it earlier.

If I were really wealthy I would have my pH have ready at camp anti-venom for the black mamba, Gabon viper and the boom slang and that other little snake you guys were talking about. Even if I had to pay for it myself. Because I doubt that any of them would stock a variety of anti-venom. Also,I imagine there's a shelflife on that stuff, it doesn't last forever.

The chance of being bitten by a black mamba is so small... Unless you corner the snake, you'll never get closer than 30 or 40 mts from a mamba. If you corner the snake, you're threatening her. That's the only way a mamba will bite you. I got black mambas at the farm in Cullinan. They never cause any problem. I hardly see them and when I see them is from over 30 mts. They always avoid humans.

The odds of any snake bite are extremely low. Frankly I would not want anyone but a trained Doc/Medic pushing any antivenin into me either. Antivenin has been a life saver but can also be a curse as the long term side effects on the internal organs can be devastating. Most Docs will wait to be sure there is going to be an onset of symptoms before pushing the FIRST dose of antivenin and here lay the rub, it may take more than one, two, three etc to work, too much and it may also be fatal and or leaving you need or an organ transplant LONGterm. So then how many shots would be held onsite and who would be the treating medico, it is not an "Epipen" type response of fire it and all improves. Tough choices but in reality one should simply exercise common sense when in the bush to keep the odds truly in your favour. In the warmer months I hunt here it is more unusual NOT to see snakes then to. I was out bush last week and saw four (and the nights where I was were down to 4degsC) that remained active. I think we humans would be more shocked to know how many snakes we are close to that we we DON'T see. Then I also had an Eastern Brown in the back yard and under my house last year (I live in the city).

Black Mamba South Africa

full

This entire thread is the stuff of nightmares!

I have absolutely no natural fear of snakes. I grew up in a part of the world with only one snake species, the completely harmless garter snake. Played with them all the time when we were kids. When traveling in a warm part of the world and seeing a snake I am always fascinated first, then wonder if its dangerous second. I suppose I should upgrade my self preservation instincts. This thread helps. Thanks.

I have absolutely no natural fear of snakes. I grew up in a part of the world with only one snake species, the completely harmless garter snake. Played with them all the time when we were kids. When traveling in a warm part of the world and seeing a snake I am always fascinated first, then wonder if its dangerous second. I suppose I should upgrade my self preservation instincts. This thread helps. Thanks.

In the same boat on the venomous snake front. I started to follow a track through the sand in Natal after being initially curious. I gave my head a shake as soon as I hit the grass. If I recall, my reply to myself in my head: "What are you doing you idiot?"
Do some adjusting.
I have still never seen a snake. Scorpions on the other hand ....

Many a reptile book and trips to the Bronx have taught me to have a respectful fear for snakes.

I have to stop reading these.

Members, all photos I have seen so far is of a dead Mamba. It really is extremely unfortunate, these snakes are magnificent, they are one of the big seven snakes of the world ..I have grown up with them in the Low-veld region of Komatipoort along side the Lubombo mountain range at the Mozambique border . Frequent encounters with them was part of the life we as children , young boys who roamed and hunt were living. My father was a staunch conservationist and taught me not to kill any animal just because you are scared of it.
We learn to live alongside these beautiful creatures and gave them the right to passage.
I really would urge members when hunting in South Africa or in Africa , when encountering these majestic snakes to refrain from killing them on site...
Our native people as a rule kill any snake he/she encounters...you on the other hand is a well educated hunter and conservationist..and should take into account that as there are dangerous game in nature , there are dangerous reptiles as well and should be treated with respect as well...

I really would like to see photos of these beautiful creatures alive on this great forum and not the mindless slaughter of our Black Mamba or any other venomous snake species.
If there was no need for these beautiful snakes then I am sure God would not have give them a place in nature.
I believe my request will find favor with you as members?

Gert, for you, from my last trip: And a bonus, cape cobra on last photo.

Mamba 1.JPG
Mamba 2.JPG
Mamba 3.JPG
Cape Cobra.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark hunter , thank you, I really prefer photos of live snakes in the veld . There are much to learn from snakes .(y)(y)(y)(y)

Something interesting, young small mamba snakes are more deadly that full grown mambas. The reason being that full grown mambas control their venom retention when striking/biting a person, depending on the agitation of a full grown mamba it will usually deliver a dry bite..while a small young juvenile mamba will deliver all the venom at once into a victim...(y)(y) The honey badger has the capabilities to absorb the venomous bite of a mamba , the venom is then brake down in it`s body.

Something interesting, young small mamba snakes are more deadly that full grown mambas. The reason being that full grown mambas control their venom retention when striking/biting a person, depending on the agitation of a full grown mamba it will usually deliver a dry bite..while a small young juvenile mamba will deliver all the venom at once into a victim...(y)(y)
If I have the misfortune to run into a black mamba while out in the bush, I'm not going to card him to find out his age!!!........I'm going to see what direction his head is pointed and then I will make a point to quickly travel 180 degrees in the opposite direction!!!

If I have the misfortune to run into a black mamba while out in the bush, I'm not going to card him to find out his age!!!........I'm going to see what direction his head is pointed and then I will make a point to quickly travel 180 degrees in the opposite direction!!!

That is exactly what I pointed out, we as youngsters always gave them right of passage..we never try to stone or shoot them, my father did not allow us to kill something that other people know little about and are afraid of. If we killed /shoot any animal/bird/fish we had to eat it, otherwise we were not allowed to kill without reason.(y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg