Black Mamba Pictures

larry4831

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
I read an article of a woman bitten by a Black Mamba in KwaZulu Natal last year. She spent a week in intensive care. Anti- venom saved her life.
I wonder if any of the pHs have anti-venom on safari with them?

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
I have seen Safari operator websites that said anti venom was available in camp first aid, but that was bush camps deep in the Tanzania hunting areas.
How many outfitters carry anti venom? I have no idea?

larry4831

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
I have seen Safari operator websites that said anti venom was available in camp first aid, but that was bush camps deep in the Tanzania hunting areas.
I understand, and even if you get anti-venom it still no guarantee you're going to live as deadly as those snakes are.

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
I have always been fascinated by the deadly snakes, even though they scare the crap out of me.

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
Even if they have anti venom serum, they might not have enough to save your life, but maybe enough to take out of the area into a hospital. A lot goes into how you survive a venomous snake bite, one your physical being, and the other where you get bitten. Obviously other factors will play, was the bite a quick one, did the snake get stuck (pumping more venom) on you, etc, etc. Like I said earlier, I love snakes, and I also give them their respect. They all serve a purpose in our circle of life, and I understand the fear some of you may have. I have my own phobia, for way less dangerous bugs than a snake. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'll leave you with this quote from Dr. Haast.

"Attitude, rather than disposition is more definitive of serpent behavior. From the moment they emerge into this world until they complete their life cycle, their attitude is "Don't tread on me. I am well equipped to defend myself, but content to pass through life unnoticed. I mean no harm to anything or anyone that our creator has not provided as my bill of fare; I am self sustaining and I like it that way, please pass me by."
- W.E. Haast"

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Our March weather here in southern Arizona is getting hot. 94 degrees today. Hasn't been this hot in March since 1907.

The Rattlesnakes are out of hibernation.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
@PARA45 , one snake I would love to see in the wild is a puff adder, from a respectful distance, of course. I suppose the reason we don´t see many snakes in Africa is that we mainly hunt in winter when most are hibernating. Those I saw were on unusually hot days.

So, you are ex-USAF, well, if you do come around here someday, we can fix that paella and :D Cheers:

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
@PARA45 , one snake I would love to see in the wild is a puff adder, from a respectful distance, of course. I suppose the reason we don´t see many snakes in Africa is that we mainly hunt in winter when most are hibernating. Those I saw were on unusually hot days.

So, you are ex-USAF, well, if you do come around here someday, we can fix that paella and :D Cheers:

Winter in Africa is good that way. You are going to be much closer than you want to a Puff Adder before you see it. They don't move and are really well cammoed. My PH said they kill the most people in Africa for those 2 reasons

larry4831

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
How about the Gabon Viper, I've heard they're very deadly and have the longest fangs of all snakes.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
How about the Gabon Viper, I've heard they're very deadly and have the longest fangs of all snakes.

As far as I know the Gabon Viper is from the same family as the puff adder, only larger, deadlier and more colorful.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Winter in Africa is good that way. You are going to be much closer than you want to a Puff Adder before you see it. They don't move and are really well cammoed. My PH said they kill the most people in Africa for those 2 reasons

Yes you do have to watch your step with these :E Scared:

Reactions: lcq

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
Yes you do have to watch your step with these :E Scared:

I was told you listen for huffing if you hear it stop dead and start looking. Being hard of hearing isn't helping me :)

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe

I had a conversation with a medical professional at a hospital in Tanzania a couple of years ago. I believe the antivenom cost $6,300. Don't remember if that was per dose or treatment. Can't remember if it was species specific, neurotoxic, hemotoxic or a combo of both. It doesn't have a long shelf life and as I recall had to be refrigerated. It seems pretty expensive for most safari companies. I believe the hospital only kept one in inventory at a time.

The good news is that people spend their life in the African bush and very few ever get bitten. Odds of a foreign hunter getting bitten in a 20 day trip that is usually in the winter is pretty small.

Also the fact that a client will normally walk third or forth in line will limit contact with snakes

Last edited:

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
I had a conversation with a medical professional at a hospital in Tanzania a couple of years ago. I believe the antivenom cost $6,300. Don't remember if that was per dose or treatment. Can't remember if it was species specific, neurotoxic, hemotoxic or a combo of both. It doesn't have a long shelf life and as I recall had to be refrigerated. It seems pretty expensive for most safari companies. I believe the hospital only kept one in inventory at a time.

The good news is that people spend their life in the African bush and very few ever get bitten. Odds of a foreign hunter getting bitten in a 20 day trip that is usually in the winter is pretty small.

Also the fact that a client will normally walk third or forth in line will limit contact with

that is why I always let the PH go first

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
I'm not sure which outfitter it was, but they did mention of having anti venom in camp. Not sure what type? I imagine the anti venom for those deadly snakes is quite expensive and probably hard to come by. Mamba's certainly aren't the only deadly snakes one might encounter on Safari.

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
I'm not sure which outfitter it was, but they did mention of having anti venom in camp. Not sure what type? I imagine the anti venom for those deadly snakes is quite expensive and probably hard to come by. Mamba's certainly aren't the only deadly snakes one might encounter on Safari.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm sure some of the high end outfits may do it.

If your spending 125k on a hunt, you might even require the outfitter to provide it and have it added into the cost to keep the wife happy.

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm sure some of the high end outfits may do it.

If your spending 125k on a hunt, you might even require the outfitter to provide it and have it added into the cost to keep the wife happy.
LOL. Nothing made my wife(ex) happy. I would prefer death by Mamba.

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
Nyati, thanks for the offer! I've heard that Spain has some good hunting. Do you hunt there???
Good call, actually, I am still in, 16 Mar was my 34 year anniversary. It's been a long haul with no regrets at all, and in Jan 2018 I'll have to retire, if I don't do it earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andreaswqo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.