Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
Hunted
Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
After a successful early tag out on a Spring turkey hunt, we were fortunate enough to spend a few days in the Black Hills for some fly fishing. We have successfully DIY fished the Hills before, but this time we hired a guide for the first part of the trip to introduce us to some new water that we may not have discovered on our own. We fished with Dave Gamet out of Dakota Anglers in Rapid City, (www.flyfishsd.com) and Dave did not disappoint! He made the extra effort to not only put us on some incredible fishing, but to show us lots of different streams along with the various bugs & techniques that are most successful in fooling these Black Hills trout.

Even if you are an experienced fisherman, I always recommend hiring a guide at least for a day. If you take advantage of their knowledge, you can learn more from one day of guided fishing than you can fishing an entire season on your own. Don't overlook this part of the country for some epic fly fishing. There are several streams in the Black Hills and all of them fish well. Some of them have surprisingly big fish too!

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_6295.jpg

IMG_6292.jpg

IMG_6297.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg
IMG_6315.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg

IMG_6300.jpg

DuglFY.jpg

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_0746.JPG

Looks like a wonderful trip! I've not fished the Black Hills, but I've deer hunted there out of Spearfish. Love the Black Hills, South Dakota & Wyoming!

Looks like a wonderful trip! I've not fished the Black Hills, but I've deer hunted there out of Spearfish. Love the Black Hills, South Dakota & Wyoming!

It truly is one of the most beautiful parts of the country. The whitetails took a big hit this past year with EHD. We noticed the WT deer numbers were way down. However, they had a very much needed wet spring, which had everything greener than we had ever seen it. So, hopefully that will help with the rebound. There were more turkeys than we had seen in years!

I'd love to take a big gobbler there!

Love to always see your fly fishing reports. All is new to me seeing a report such as this coming out of South Dakota.

Love to always see your fly fishing reports. All is new to me seeing a report such as this coming out of South Dakota.
Most of the trout fly fishing opportunities are in the Black Hills. SD doesn't get a lot of attention but the fly fishing is surprisingly good in the Hills.

Congratulations on a great trip. The BH's definitely warrant a trip with the fly rod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.